Golf Trip - Colorado

3,866 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by case04
SirDeofWood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My and three friends want to plan a golf trip to Colorado sometime in August. We do a guys trip once a year in Texas at places like Horseshoe Bay but we would like to try something different.

We would most likely fly into Denver. We wouldn't mind driving an hour or so from the airport but we would like to have a few courses nearby or a resort with two 18 hole course that we could play. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
bagger05
AG
How long are you going to be there and how many rounds do you want to play?

Anything else you're looking to do besides play golf?
SirDeofWood
AG
We would probably fly in Thursday night for a round of golf on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We would hit the bars in the evenings or hang out on the resort etc.
SirDeofWood
AG
Anyone Been to Redsky Golf Club? Looks like they have two courses and would be a great option.
1208HawkTree
AG
The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. The East Course alone is worth the drive from Denver. I didn't play the West Course when I was there, but it is supposed to be very good as well. Until recently there were three courses, but the Mountain Course is closed now due to landslides and the resulting lawsuits, that came etc. after them. The Castle Pines area between Denver and CS is also supposed to have some good public-access courses.
daveb414
AG
Red Sky Ranch, and Broadmoor are both awesome golf resorts, and have all 3 of Colorado's Top 100 public courses. But they can be pretty pricey, especially in the middle of the summer. If you want something a little cheaper take a look at the Keystone Resort. They've got 2 really nice courses, the Ranch and River. The Ranch is a Trent Jones jr designed links style course, and the River is more of your classic mountain golf, wooded with lots of elevation change. You really can't go wrong with anything that has been suggested, just thought I'd throw out something that hadn't been mentioned yet.
ColoradoMooseHerd
If it was me, I would not travel all the way to Colorado to play golf for a weekend and then go home. I really feel like you are missing out on a lot and you are paying for a lot more than golf if you go the Mountain Route.

Usually you can book a golf package through the Vail Hotels which puts you in Vail Village and then gets you a tee time at RedSky or other nearby courses. And then you can go out in Vail.

If you are just wanting to play golf and go out, then you could go to Omni near Boulder, they have two nice courses and then you could go out each night in Boulder or head downtown Denver.

But typically people visiting colorado will play golf but then take in some of the other activities that Colorado offers that Texas or other places don't.
The Lost
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

If it was me, I would not travel all the way to Colorado to play golf for a weekend and then go home. I really feel like you are missing out on a lot and you are paying for a lot more than golf if you go the Mountain Route.

Usually you can book a golf package through the Vail Hotels which puts you in Vail Village and then gets you a tee time at RedSky or other nearby courses. And then you can go out in Vail.

If you are just wanting to play golf and go out, then you could go to Omni near Boulder, they have two nice courses and then you could go out each night in Boulder or head downtown Denver.

But typically people visiting colorado will play golf but then take in some of the other activities that Colorado offers that Texas or other places don't.
This is my thought too. You said an hour drive, then everything listed has been way further. The omni was the only "resort" I could think of. At least with it you could go to avery or some of the cool breweries near by.
Poot
Keystone's courses are really good. They also have The Raven near by that is also really good. Breckenridge is close too and has 27, but I'd skip it, personally.

I haven't played Red Sky, but I've heard it's awesome... like really awesome. I think 1 of Red Sky's courses may be private.
The D
AG
To echo what poot said. The raven is a sweet course- especially starting at hole 8 and the back 9 is incredible. The keystone courses are awesome too. Especially the river. Ranch is a fun course down in a valley but doesn't have the elevation changes like river
AggieT
AG
Broadmoor is fantastic.
SirDeofWood
AG
I appreciate the responses so far guys. Thanks!
coloradoag69
AG
In Golden, on the west side of Denver, there is a really neat public course called Fossil Trace. It is only about 10 minutes from I-70.
WestTexasAgalo
Having played both Red Sky courses, I will attest to their awesomeness! They usually rotate which course is members-only each day, which is how I was able to play both courses. Also, they typically have some sort of a "play 36" special where you can play both courses (over two days) for something like $360. Obviously still expensive, but in my opinion, these two courses are just about the best mountain golf experience there is.
Pignorant
AG
AggieT said:

Broadmoor is fantastic.
The fastest greens on planet earth.
grego
AG
Red sky is awesome. Strangely I liked the Norman course the best. They have members play one course on a given day and guests play the other. So I don't think you can play both in one day.

If you can get on Country Club of the Rockies it is right down the road and really good.
grego
AG
Frost creek is also good but probably 45-60 minutes farther than red sky.
Goose06
AG
Fossil trace is a nice course not too far from Denver (30 min from downtown maybe).
Jaytoke
AG
I went two years in a row several years ago. One year we played Bear Dance and Arrowhead. Really liked Bear Dance but had to play with rented clubs as my clubs did not make it in time. Arrowhead was beautiful but to many funky holes for my taste.

Other year we played Ridge at Castle Pines on Saturday, really cool course. Tee box on 18 is on top of a rock. We played Plum Creek late on Friday, cheaper option that was very crowded. Began raining on hole 4 and entire course cleared out and we had place to ourselves. All 4 courses were south of Denver in the Castle Rock/Larkspur area if i remember right.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Arrowhead is more west then the others in Morrison/Littleton Area along the foothills. The other three are basically all off I-25.
NColoradoAG
Red Sky is really nice. You can usually find pretty decent stay and play rates here:

http://www.redskygolfclub.com/info/pkg.index.asp

Tons of 3 bedroom condo options between Vail and Beaver Creek that would sleep four as long as one is cool with a sofa bed. Beaver Creek is cheaper than Vail. I personally prefer the Beaver Creek scene, but it's not as conducive to a guys weekend from a nightlife standpoint.

Lakota Canyon Ranch is also a great course about an hour west of Vail. Really fun Jim Engh designed course.

The Keystone/Breck area also offers a lot of options that would be cheaper than the Vail/Beaver Creek trip. The Raven, Keystone River/Ranch, and Breckenridge Golf Club are all good courses. The one time I played The Raven it was really windy so I didn't get the best feel for it. Someone mentioned to skip Breckenridge Golf Club, but I personally have always enjoyed that course. It's not cheap by any means though, but there aren't many cheap mountain courses.

If you wanted to stay in Denver my top 3 for an out of town group would be Fossil Trace, Arrowhead, and Bear Dance. That's a lot of driving if you stay in Downtown. The farther south you shaded would cut out a lot of driving.

The Broadmoor is also an excellent recommendation that offers an upscale option for the trip.
schwabbin
AG
Breckenridge was fun last summer when I played. Never tee'd at that altitude before. I'll never forget hitting a 9i 170 into a green.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Anyone played the Estes Park course? Headed to RMNP in late summer and would like to sneak a round in.
NColoradoAG
Robert C. Christian said:

Anyone played the Estes Park course? Headed to RMNP in late summer and would like to sneak a round in.

Its not bad, but nothing to write home about either. Nice setting, usually some wildlife roaming the course too.
92TXAG
AG
Cordillera; thank me later...
Robert C. Christian
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Its not bad, but nothing to write home about either. Nice setting though with the creek running through it and the weather is always nice in the morning. Usually some wildlife roaming the course too.

Thanks, trying to figure out if I squeeze out a round away from the family.
tarrantcountyag
AG
Broadmoor
mpl35
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Its not bad, but nothing to write home about either. Nice setting though with the creek running through it and the weather is always nice in the morning. Usually some wildlife roaming the course too.
I played the Estes Park course the day after I arrived in Colorado and I was breathing a bit hard. Definitely played for the setting - not the course itself.
gman-79
AG
Second that, Estes Park are views simply amazing and certain times of the year you might have to play through some herds of elk but coarse is usually in good shape.. Worth the time to play IMO. Breakfast at Notchtop & Dinner/Happy Hour at Cables.
Edit to Clarify: I was talking about the 18 Hole course above but the 9 Hole course in the middle of town is nothing special but is fun to play if you want to walk and just breathe clean air in a scenic atmosphere.
aggiehunter3
AG
Another nod for red sky ranch...I was only up for a weekend for a wedding, so we chose to play the Norman course. You are literally up in the mountains the whole track - great views. They really make you feel like a guest, though. Separate club house for non members and different color golf carts.
BESCo91
AG
Regarding The Broadmoor ...... simply put, it is Heaven on Earth.

I live in Colorado Springs and play the East Course twice a year in charity tournaments.

The bad news is that you can't play The Broadmoor unless: a) you're a member, b) play in a tournament, c) registered guest of the hotel.

During the summer, a room at The Broadmoor will set ya back about $375. Greens fees/cart are about $200.
BESCo91
AG
Quote:

If you wanted to stay in Denver my top 3 for an out of town group would be Fossil Trace, Arrowhead, and Bear Dance.
I'll definitely second those two!
I play Arrowhead the first Tuesday every October. The landscape is spectacular.
NColoradoAG
Played Bear Dance again yesterday for Father's Day. A golf trip to Colorado that doesn't include that course is a waste. Course was immaculate and is so much fun. The back nine is incredible. And it's $50 cheaper than Arrowhead.

We had some high handicappers so we played the "members" tee's on the card which mixes up the tee set to come out at 6500 yards. Takes out a few of the more difficult carries around the course and made it very playable for everyone. It was busy, but we got around in 4 hours and 15 minutes. The space between holes help pace IMO. The long treks from hole to hole are nice too because you feel like you're getting a little extra scenery for the money.

Hadn't eaten at the restaurant before because it's usually really busy but we found a table yesterday. All the food was good and the drinks were strong. I recommend the riblets. Could have eaten pounds of those.
JYDog90
AG
There's not much to the Omni courses. No real mountain feel more like a meadow. I would either go Vail or Broadmoor. Vail has more nightlife. Broadmoor has better golf.
tbone94
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Played Bear Dance again yesterday for Father's Day. A golf trip to Colorado that doesn't include that course is a waste. Course was immaculate and is so much fun. The back nine is incredible. And it's $50 cheaper than Arrowhead.

We had some high handicappers so we played the "members" tee's on the card which mixes up the tee set to come out at 6500 yards. Takes out a few of the more difficult carries around the course and made it very playable for everyone. It was busy, but we got around in 4 hours and 15 minutes. The space between holes help pace IMO. The long treks from hole to hole are nice too because you feel like you're getting a little extra scenery for the money.

Hadn't eaten at the restaurant before because it's usually really busy but we found a table yesterday. All the food was good and the drinks were strong. I recommend the riblets. Could have eaten pounds of those.
This! My second favorite course on the front range behind Broadmoor East. (Eisenhouer blue is third.)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.