SIAP: Houston Open Changing Venue in 2019

11,836 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jonj101
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Link to Article

Quote:

We received noticed this week from The Golf Club of Houston regarding the club's decision to no longer host a PGA TOUR event. Currently, the HGA's focus is on securing a long-term title sponsor.
07fta07
AG
Now they officially need a course, a sponsor, and a date.
tommyjohn
Writing is in the wall this won't be on the schedule come 2019.
Mr.Bond
AG
Hmm I've been told by a course employee that they will be hosting it next year in May

End of an era for sure. Been a fantastic event for many years. Now it's done
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

suburban cowboy
AG
Mayor Turner stated today it would be held there next year but the future after that was uncertain
mosesrab90
AG
HGA has until sometime this summer to confirm a sponsor and location or houston permanently loses its tour stop. Sucks for the youth charities of houston that benefit from the sponsorship money.
Mr.Bond
AG
HGA is as poorly run as HISD
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

The Milkman
AG
So is it at GCOH next year or not
AustinCountyAg
I think the concern needs to be if it is anywhere, much less at GCOH next year.
07fta07
AG
Mr.Bond said:

HGA is as poorly run as HISD

Maybe worse. And they had all but locked up MD Anderson as a sponsor, but wouldn't budge on what they were asking (which was more than what Shell was paying).
dc509
AG
Doesn't Turner want to bring the tournament into downtown?
Mr.Bond
AG
Yes and he's a moron

dc509
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Yes and he's a moron
If there's a course that could host it would be the issues with it? I'm from Dallas, and really have no idea. On the face it seems like a decent idea, but obviously moving a golf tournament is complicated.
CFTXAG10
AG
dc509 said:

Turner announced a grant from the Kinder family for 70 million dollars towards Memorial Park yesterday, the same day this news broke. Coincidence?
Forum Troll
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

dc509 said:

Turner announced a grant from the Kinder family for 70 million dollars towards Memorial Park yesterday, the same day this news broke. Coincidence?
I look forward to Wednesday range sessions on Golf Channel where pros are hitting drives into the tennis courts and other pros are waiting with their buckets in the stall waiting their turn to hit.
AustinCountyAg
I'd love for it to be moved to Bluejack for the simple fact I could go check out the course.

I loved it out there when it was Blaketree
Alta
AG
I have heard from multiple people in the know that it is moving to Memorial Park but I just find it hard to believe as they would need to shut the course down yesterday to get it ready to host a PGA Tour event next year and I simply don't know where you would put spectators on that course after playing it last week.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kinder Morgan become the sponsor of the Houston Open though.
Mr.Bond
AG
In a short non complicated answer. No and there isn't one even close.

Memorial Park is the rumored destination. No clubhouse. Course isn't set up for spectators or grandstands. Zero parking anywhere. Course conditions are average because it gets a tremendous amount of play. Practice facilities are a joke. No possible way keeping people out of the tournament without building a perimeter fence all around the course. It's just a logistical and financial nightmare

dc509
AG
Fair enough. My understanding is that Bluejack is absolutely awesome. No idea if they have interest in a tournament, but that could be cool.
jakelew04
AG
My boss just told me Houston Open to Memorial is now official. Edit for link.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/04/26/exclusivehouston-open-to-be-held-in-memorial-park.html

jja79
AG
dc509 said:

Fair enough. My understanding is that Bluejack is absolutely awesome. No idea if they have interest in a tournament, but that could be cool.
They also don't have a clubhouse, it's remote and all spectators would have to be bused in I suspect. I also think it would be too easy. I took the tour with Jimmy but haven't played it. Good players I know who have played it seem to think it would be too easy for pros.
1208HawkTree
AG
PGA pros would eat Bluejack up. It's a nice course and fun to play, but without major setup changes (narrow fairways significantly, add rough, have green speeds off the charts, etc.), we would see scoring like in Palm Springs.
dc509
AG
jakelew04 said:

My boss just told me Houston Open to Memorial is now official. Edit for link.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/04/26/exclusivehouston-open-to-be-held-in-memorial-park.html

Assuming the issues mentioned above about Memorial Park can be resolved having it there could be pretty cool.
The D
AG
Houston screwed this up so bad
HouAggie
AG
Why do they need a clubhouse to host a PGA event. Temporary buildings are more than sufficient. Also not sure why parking is necessary when other events do just fine without it.

The practice facility will definitely need improvement, but that's nothing money can't fix.
dc509
AG
I'm not from Houston nor do I live there, but talking to a couple friends of mine they all think it will be fine. One of them is actually really excited about it.
07fta07
AG
dc509 said:

I'm not from Houston nor do I live there, but talking to a couple friends of mine they all think it will be fine. One of them is actually really excited about it.

I think it will be a major disaster. If the field isn't god awful the first year, it will be the next year.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
Whatever the WMO does, we need to mirror that. That is probably the most well run event I have ever attended. They had a clubhouse that was used as more $$$$ tickets/club prices. The other buildings, including the proshop were just huge tents. All of the other suites/clubs were grandstands that are easily put up. Memorial needs a major overhaul but having a club house is not needed. Parking lots near enough that would allow buses in and out smoothly would be ideal.
dc509
AG
It could be, but if they can work through whatever issues they have this could end up being a good thing.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
If this move is really happening, spend the money and do it right. I have always thought the GCOH is a great course but it really is so far from everything and doesn't truly depict the city of Houston.

Spend the money, fix the problems, and then the city will be able to charge higher green fees to the public.
The D
AG
salloh_tamu said:

If this move is really happening, spend the money and do it right. I have always thought the GCOH is a great course but it really is so far from everything and doesn't truly depict the city of Houston.

Spend the money, fix the problems, and then the city will be able to charge higher green fees to the public.

Maybe far from where you live- but it's 15 minutes from downtown. That's not really "so far from everything".

And name a golf tourmanent that showcases the city. Most of them don't so that's a non issue.

I want to see a tournament on a nice course with good players. That's now gone.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
Look at it this way, if GCOH was located where Memorial was located there would be no question. A lot of people are looking at this short sighted due to the lack of sponsor and the threat of losing the tournament all together. However, if and I know it's a big IF, they can make the necessary changes to memorial to make it competitive for the pros, fun for the fans, and great for the community then why not give it a go?

Heck, with the higher green fees to the public it should weed out the chunkers too.
Mr.Bond
AG
Too secluded imo

Alta
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Too secluded imo

I'm not a fan of this move but how is Memorial Park too secluded? There is no golf course in Houston that is less secluded.
07fta07
AG
So when do the GCOH public rates drop? Ain't nobody paying $225 to play that course when it's not a tour stop.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.