Colonial gets a 4 year sponsor

2,311 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agsalaska
The Lost
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Good news for the tournament. Glad it's going to be around longer.
jgh85Ag
AG
Great news.
LHIOB
AG
I hope they bring back Colonial in the name
DannyDuberstein
AG
Great news. Historic course and tournament that needs to stay in the rotation.
Yesterday
AG
That's a big time sponsor that actually makes sense. No one in Texas knew what Dean & Deluca was.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
03ki11erAG said:

That's a big time sponsor that actually makes sense. No one in Texas knew what Dean & Deluca was.

I think they had a few stores committed to Texas but pulled out. I know one was supposed to go in at Legacy West in Plano.
Quinn
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Ya, a fancy pants NYC grocery store made no sense as a FW Texas sponsor.
jonj101
I wouldn't care if it was Joe's hotdog stand - I just want them to be able to continue the Houston Open.

Good news for the Colonial though.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The best PGA tourney in Texas, in my opinion.
_lefraud_
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

The best PGA tourney in Texas, in my opinion.

Agreed, however not much competition really. I've been to all four regular stops (haven't been to match play) and Colonial beats all the others just on location alone. Add in the history, and course, and it's really a cut above the rest. Hopefully, with the PGA moving to May, Colonial can get a better spot on the calendar for a better field, although some guys (Tiger) just don't like the course (which is nuts).
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I'm interested in how the Byron is at Trinity Forest.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm predicting a failed, short run of the Nelson at Trinity Forest and it eventually moving to the course the PGA is building in Frisco. PGA is going to build a major worthy course and that area will be a great spot to host and entertain players and their families.

Then if/when the new course does host a pga championship, ryder cup, or some other big event, maybe TF is a backup Nelson location that year.
agsalaska
AG
Me too.

And I am guessing the pros are going to absolutely hate it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, i think there will be a few that love it, but between a tricked up course, the shadeless texas heat, and it literally being a dump in the middle of nowhere, I think a large portion of the top 50 will find it to be the perfect time to take a week off. And those shade stands they are building are a joke. Feeling compelled to do such a thing just screams out that this course design should have never made it past the drawing board.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Even the name is stupid. I don't care if it technically is in Trinity forest, you cant name a ****ing links style course with no trees ______ Forest.
agsalaska
AG
Oh no ***** I didn't even think of the name. Haha.
Quinn
AG
http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/trinity-forest-6th-hole

Fried Egg actually has an interesting breakdown of one of the holes at TF. Personally, I can't wait to get out there and see the tournament, and I think it's cool that DFW has two different abs unique courses for its Tour stops.
AggieDruggist89
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I'm predicting a failed, short run of the Nelson at Trinity Forest and it eventually moving to the course the PGA is building in Frisco. PGA is going to build a major worthy course and that area will be a great spot to host and entertain players and their families.

Then if/when the new course does host a pga championship, ryder cup, or some other big event, maybe TF is a backup Nelson location that year.

The last time a golf major championship was played in TX was 1969. US and PGA are June and Aug. And Ryder is in September. I doubt they will ever bring these tournaments back to TX. Not weather friendly. Certainly not bringing Masters and Brit to TX.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The PGA Championship is moving to May starting in 2019. PGA of America is building their new headquarters in Frisco and building a championship course next door. I will dang near guarantee a PGA championship gets played at their new course. And the Ryder Cup is played at the very end of September. Weather is fine then. A PGA championship being held at the new course is dang near a lock. Ryder Cup less so, but I absolutely would not rule it out if they do a good job designing this course.

Average high in Dallas on May 15 -> 81. Average high on Sept 28 (first day of 2018 Ryder Cup) -> 83

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-pga-championship-is-moving-to-may-and-players-are-on-board
_lefraud_
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

The last time a golf major championship was played in TX was 1969. US and PGA are June and Aug. And Ryder is in September. I doubt they will ever bring these tournaments back to TX. Not weather friendly. Certainly not bringing Masters and Brit to TX.
Avg August Temperatures:

Louisville: 87/68
Atlanta: 88/68
Tulsa: 93/71
St. Louis: 88/69
Houston: 91/76

It's a lobbying game and the State of Texas has done a crappy job of selling Texas venues for the past 30+ years, which is sad because the state has lots of golf history/players. Hopefully, that all changes with the PGA headquarters and the PGA Championship like Danny mentioned.
AggieDruggist89
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I will dang near guarantee a PGA championship gets played at their new course. And the Ryder Cup is played at the very end of September. Weather is fine then.

I will bet you PGA championship will not be in TX in next 10 years and Ryder Cup will not be held in TX next 15 years.
DannyDuberstein
AG
At least you're now more informed about when the PGA champhonsip will now be played, so you're welcome on that. There's always some satisfaction in helping fellow posters learn something. Obviously, this type of project takes time and these events get locked in years in advance, so quite a hedge you built in for yourself there. But interesting to see you backed off from "not ever" to "well, not in the next decade".

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/report-pga-of-america-moving-to-texas-hopes-to-bring-pga-championship-ryder-cup-to-frisco
_lefraud_
AG
yea, the PGA is booked thru 2028 and the Ryder Cup is booked thru 2032. Now, if he wants to bet that a PGA won't come to Texas by 2035, or a Ryder Cup by 2040, I'd jump all over that.
AggieDruggist89
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

At least you're now more informed about when the PGA champhonsip will now be played, so you're welcome on that. There's always some satisfaction in helping fellow posters learn something. Obviously, this type of project takes time and these events get locked in years in advance, so quite a hedge you built in for yourself there. But interesting to see you backed off from "not ever" to "well, not in the next decade".

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/report-pga-of-america-moving-to-texas-hopes-to-bring-pga-championship-ryder-cup-to-frisco

Down boy...

I've known about the PGA change.

I was a DFW resident for almost a decade. And golf in DFW June through Sep was unbearable. Maybe PGA will come in next quarter century as PGA does flirt with non traditional and newer courses. US Open in June in DFW? I don't know.

But I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for a major to come. DFW just is not a travel destination. Then again neither is Tulsa...
_lefraud_
AG
Or Atlanta
Or Louisville
Or Rochester NY
Or Detroit
Or St. Louis
Or Toledo
Or rural WI

Those are destination places, let me tell ya.
agsalaska
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Down boy...

I've known about the PGA change.

I was a DFW resident for almost a decade. And golf in DFW June through Sep was unbearable. Maybe PGA will come in next quarter century as PGA does flirt with non traditional and newer courses. US Open in June in DFW? I don't know.

But I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for a major to come. DFW just is not a travel destination. Then again neither is Tulsa...
Was this not you

Quote:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.