Frustrated with Briarcrest

15,092 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, I know, it's not Briarcrest anymore. I have been a member for awhile. Got away for a couple of years and came back recently. My frustration lies in the pace of play. Now that muni has closed and they moved the city course to Briarcrest, the pace of play has almost become unbearable. On TUESDAY, it was so crowded, I just ended up playing the back nine first and then coming back around. This was due to multiple 5somes ahead of me. I tried to play through but at one point, I saw that there were literally 3 fivesomes on the same damn hole. One on the tee, one in the fairway and one on the green. The marshal does absolutely nothing to help with this and they have no one watching tee times. On Friday morning, I had a 7:50am tee time. I knew that there was a fivesome behind me, so I made sure to be at the tee waiting at 7:49am. However, this group of old codgers decide to start crowding around the tee and two of them actually had the nerve to go stand on the senior tee box while I am teeing off from the whites. Luckily, I can hit fairly well and just hit over them. Just couldn't believe that they were that inconsiderate.

I have been thinking of just canceling my membership and heading over to either campus course or Pecan Lakes. Each are about the same price. But I worry that campus would be just as crowded and Pecan Lakes is a 30 minute drive.

Anyone else dealing with this right now? Have you spoken to the club to see if there is anything that can be done?
AustinCountyAg
I was facing the same type of problem at my local club. Pace of play was getting bad. conditions were terrible, and just not worth the time anymore to go out and fight it when their are better opitions. Granted, more expensive options, but more enjoyable for me.....I dropped my membership, bought a net to hit into at home, and now when I want to play I will drive thirty minutes and spend a little more to play a nicer course.
KidDoc
AG
My wife and I played Wednesday afternoon and had some issues with pace as well. It is just more crowded. It would help if they had someone checking Tee times @ 1st hole.

The course seems to be holding up overall aside from some hard tee boxes on the par 3's.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zombie
That's what I am thinking too. Pecan Lakes is a beautiful course and fun to play. And each time I have been out there, it is never crowded.
KidDoc
AG
Zombie said:

That's what I am thinking too. Pecan Lakes is a beautiful course and fun to play. And each time I have been out there, it is never crowded.
I like Pecan Lakes for the same reason but I much prefer the trees, hills, layout, and fairway hazards of Briarcrest. And the clubhouses are in different leagues-- not that I go to the clubhouse every time or anything but still.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Famous Shoes
AG
I've had the same issues at Briarcrest myself, only play there as a last resort. Campus course has picked up some of the Bryan Muni refugees too and play has increased some but still pretty steady usually, both courses need full time Marshall's at least on the weekends and maybe Thursday afternoon too. Pecan Lakes has gotten much better in the last 12 months or so, condition is good and the greens are improving to, nice layout too the kind where you'll hit every club in your bag.

Anyone play in Caldwell?
KidDoc
AG
Drako Mallfoy said:

I've had the same issues at Briarcrest myself, only play there as a last resort. Campus course has picked up some of the Bryan Muni refugees too and play has increased some but still pretty steady usually, both courses need full time Marshall's at least on the weekends and maybe Thursday afternoon too. Pecan Lakes has gotten much better in the last 12 months or so, condition is good and the greens are improving to, nice layout too the kind where you'll hit every club in your bag.

Anyone play in Caldwell?
I haven't tried Caldwell or Brenham but I plan to soon. I also want to take a trip up to Hilltop Lakes but that is a bit far for regular play.

I honestly didn't know Caldwell had a course!

Forum Troll
AG
Zombie said:

Yes, I know, it's not Briarcrest anymore. I have been a member for awhile. Got away for a couple of years and came back recently. My frustration lies in the pace of play. Now that muni has closed and they moved the city course to Briarcrest, the pace of play has almost become unbearable. On TUESDAY, it was so crowded, I just ended up playing the back nine first and then coming back around. This was due to multiple 5somes ahead of me. I tried to play through but at one point, I saw that there were literally 3 fivesomes on the same damn hole. One on the tee, one in the fairway and one on the green. The marshal does absolutely nothing to help with this and they have no one watching tee times. On Friday morning, I had a 7:50am tee time. I knew that there was a fivesome behind me, so I made sure to be at the tee waiting at 7:49am. However, this group of old codgers decide to start crowding around the tee and two of them actually had the nerve to go stand on the senior tee box while I am teeing off from the whites. Luckily, I can hit fairly well and just hit over them. Just couldn't believe that they were that inconsiderate.

I have been thinking of just canceling my membership and heading over to either campus course or Pecan Lakes. Each are about the same price. But I worry that campus would be just as crowded and Pecan Lakes is a 30 minute drive.

Anyone else dealing with this right now? Have you spoken to the club to see if there is anything that can be done?
I lol'ed at this part. How insane do you have to be to hope some amateur not matter how good isn't going to top their driver and hit a worm burner right at your ass?
birdman
Caldwell is tight with lots of trees. It's a short course. Greens are small and turtle backed. Nine holes, they keep it in decent shape. Fun place to play.

No surprise about the entitled old timers. Every course has them. And they just combined Bryan and Briarcrest.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I've got regulars I play with that I wouldn't stand off to the side from the tee. Totally agree.
KidDoc
AG
When we were playing Wednesday we were carting up the rough on the left side of the 18th hole approach and someone hit a worm-burner under our cart from the 1 Tee box! Was a bit scary.
Txroper
AG
Pecan lakes has been in good shape but the Pro that was there quit in November so the assistant pro took over and now he has left in the last two weeks. now some old lady is trying to run it so I bet it goes back down hill. I hope not.
Thisguy1
Yeah we played Pecan Lakes yesterday. The old lady was trying to do everything and was struggling.

The course wasn't bad for out there. Overseeded greens so they were green and thick, but everything was hard as a rock. With the wind the way it was and the firmness it felt like we were playing a links course. It actually made it pretty fun to have to get a little more creative. $32 to ride.
Zombie
Well, looks like I won't be leaving Briarcrest anytime soon. Spoke to them today and I am locked in for another 8 months. I just hope it gets better. I can understand a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but a Tuesday mid morning???
Funky Winkerbean
AG
If you want cheap golf, you'll likely get it. The golf business model is now built around driving rounds at the cheapest reasonable price.

It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
agsalaska
AG
Just curious, how long is an average round of golf taking? Because multiple groups and crowds are a good thing that right now this industry desperately needs.
KidDoc
AG
agsalaska said:

Just curious, how long is an average round of golf taking? Because multiple groups and crowds are a good thing that right now this industry desperately needs.

Wife and I were 4 hours on a Wednesday 1:30 tee time. We usually run 3 hours to 3:30.
agsalaska
AG
KidDoc said:

agsalaska said:

Wife and I were 4 hours on a Wednesday 1:30 tee time. We usually run 3 hours to 3:30.

How is that a pace of play issue? Sounds to me like you didn't have any issues at all.
CapCityAg89
AG
My rule of thumb is 2.5 hours for me as a single. Add a half hour for every player to max 4 hours. I've played first off the tee with a fivesome in 3 hours though. It's all about ready golf and not dicking around.
agsalaska
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

My rule of thumb is 2.5 hours for me as a single. Add a half hour for every player to max 4 hours. I've played first off the tee with a fivesome in 3 hours though. It's all about ready golf and not dicking around.

Sure. Fair enough. I agree with you on an empty course. But not at 1pm. How can someone who tees off at 1pm consider a 4 hour round a pace of play issue if a foursome should play in 4 hours. Or in this case fivesomes.

I just don't get how someone could tee off at 1, finish at 5, and have an issue with pace of play. Doesn't make sense to me.
birdman
It's simple. The course was overcrowded. The course didn't have adequate marshals. And the REGULAR speed golfer wasn't able to play through. All of that is pace of play.
agsalaska
AG
birdman said:

It's simple. The course was overcrowded. The course didn't have adequate marshals. And the REGULAR speed golfer wasn't able to play through. All of that is pace of play.

No. He said he played in four hours. That's regular speed isn't it?
birdman
The time doesn't matter. If the group ahead of him played in 3 hours, but he was waiting on every shot? Then they were too slow. He should have been allowed to play through.

If it was two groups that were turtles, then it's the fault of golfers and the course management.

I really don't understand how anybody takes 4 hours to play 18 holes.
CapCityAg89
AG
agsalaska said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Sure. Fair enough. I agree with you on an empty course. But not at 1pm. How can someone who tees off at 1pm consider a 4 hour round a pace of play issue if a foursome should play in 4 hours. Or in this case fivesomes.

I just don't get how someone could tee off at 1, finish at 5, and have an issue with pace of play. Doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry. I agree with this - that was my point on foursome = four hours.

BUT to the other point, people don't know how to allow play through anymore. Too many think it means sitting there for 15 minutes while the single/double play the hole. Should be: wait on the trailing faster group after teeing off. Call them up and hit. All leave the box. Through group moves fast to their ball and hits - starts to move. Waiting group hits. Through group finishes fast and moves on - wave your hand thanks and clear to hit. Tee off the next hole fast while waiting group takes a bit of extra time on the green. If it's done right - waiting group slows a little on every shot and through group plays a bit faster. Under no circumstances should the through group grind over a putt and should probably pick up after bogie.
agsalaska
AG
birdman said:

The time doesn't matter. If the group ahead of him played in 3 hours, but he was waiting on every shot? Then they were too slow. He should have been allowed to play through.

If it was two groups that were turtles, then it's the fault of golfers and the course management.

I really don't understand how anybody takes 4 hours to play 18 holes.

Nonsense. The entire course should not be forced to either play at the speed of the fastest golfer out there or step aside for him. That's crap.

If a single tees off at 1pm and there were twenty groups of foursomes in fron of him, all playing at the four hour mark, then he should have no complaints. It's a ridiculous expectation for the entire course to step aside for a couple of guys who think the scorecard has a timer on it.
agsalaska
AG
I agree with that.
DannyDuberstein
AG
nm
Zombie
Quote:

Nonsense. The entire course should not be forced to either play at the speed of the fastest golfer out there or step aside for him. That's crap.
No, the problem is having multiple foursomes and fivesomes teeing off within 20 minutes of each other. A good golf course will space these out to allow for a good pace for everyone. If I play a normal single round in 3 hours and get stuck behind people like this and it takes 4 hours, that can completely throw off your game. Waiting 5-10 minutes to tee off and then waiting again for each shot after that. I never said I had a problem with the golfers (except the old guys standing in front of the tee). I have a problem with improper scheduling
cevans_40
AG
Txroper said:

Pecan lakes has been in good shape but the Pro that was there quit in November so the assistant pro took over and now he has left in the last two weeks. now some old lady is trying to run it so I bet it goes back down hill. I hope not.

Wtf does the golf pro have to do with course conditions?
07fta07
AG
Zombie said:

Quote:

No, the problem is having multiple foursomes and fivesomes teeing off within 20 minutes of each other. A good golf course will space these out to allow for a good pace for everyone. If I play a normal single round in 3 hours and get stuck behind people like this and it takes 4 hours, that can completely throw off your game. Waiting 5-10 minutes to tee off and then waiting again for each shot after that. I never said I had a problem with the golfers (except the old guys standing in front of the tee). I have a problem with improper scheduling

I play as fast or faster than anyone and this is the dumbest statement I may have ever seen on here. Golf courses aren't there for singles to play. They're built around 4somes and as long as pace of play is 4 hours, they're not gonna do anything and they shouldn't do anything about it. 8-9 minute tee times is standard. If you're playing as a single, you should and you will wait.
DannyDuberstein
AG
A couple of thoughts on this:

1) Very much agree with the point above that too many people are clueless as to how to let someone play through. It doesn't have to be a stop-down using the method mentioned. And yeah, whoever is going through needs to move with haste.

2) Regardless of the day of the week or group size, the play through decision should come down to what the traffic ahead looks like. When it's stacked, no point. But when you have plenty of room in front of you and someone is on your ass, refer to #1. Move your slow ass to the right lane and they'll be through before you know it. Just because it's Saturday on the calendar, there's no need to be a dick and box in someone behind you when you've got plenty of room in front of you, even if that someone is a single. But the flipside, it may be Tuesday afternoon but if there are a string of groups in front of you, I don't see any obligation for you to allow someone to play thorugh as long as you are keeping up with said group.s

agsalaska
AG
Agree with all points.

Strangely the same guy got behind my group on Wednesday and Friday. He caught us on 10 or 11 on wednesday. When we got to the par 3 13 we took our time filling up pur drinks and let him catch us. We all hit and he putted out first. We never saw him again. On Friday there were groups all in front of us and he was **** out of luck.

Danny is right though. Just keep up with the group in front of you or let people thru.

Lastly, I just don't like hearing complaints about crowded courses. We need crowds.
AgLA06
AG
birdman said:

This is a joke right?

A single is going to wait on every group on every hole. One person should always play faster than a group. To expect every group he encounters every day to let him play through is also a joke.

Either schedule a tee time that allows you to get out ahead of the crowd, join another group or wait your turn.

Personally I think it's just as rude for a single to sit their and wait for a group to clear to play by themselves and further back up the course.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think that's ridiculous. I have a regular 4some but also play as a single a fair amount, am always willing to join another group, but that just doesn't work out sometimes. I roll with whatever the course wants. There's nothing rude involved with any of it.

Again, if it's a string of groups, then no, the single is stuck. But with room in front, you should be letting anyone waiting on you every shot through - single, twosome, 3some, or 4some.

I think the attitude that somehow a 4some has more right to be there and that everyone behind them can just suck it even though there may be room ahead is a joke. Keep up or let people play through. Doesn't matter the group size.
Broncos
This.

When I play recreationally I expect it to take approximately 4 hours.

This who are expecting to get 18 holes in, in under 3 hours need to relax and have a few beers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.