Valero Open?

2,453 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was invited by a vendor to attend their tent on the 16th green next Sunday. Free drinks and food. Anything I should know about this tourney? I noticed not a whole lot of great names other than Sergio, Matt Kuchar and Charley Hoffman. Should still be a fun time though.
Bunk Moreland
I love the property. The course isn't great for following action all over as a spectator. I'd go look at some holes, follow some groups early, but I think it's much more enjoyable parking at one area for the bulk of your day.

Since you got invited to a tent on 16, sounds like that part is already solved for you.

The talent in the crowd is pretty damn good, and while classy it's definitely more blue collar than the dresses and heels that show out at the Byron Nelson.

It's one of the quietest tournaments I've attended from a crowd perspective.
LRB38
S
If you plan on doing any walking around the course, I would do it early before it heats up. It is a very long course and can take you a while to make your way back to the turn. I went 2 years ago and overall it was a great experience. Followed Palmer all day on Saturday before he blew the lead.
AG
Final list of players will be announced at 4pm today. I'd expect at least a few big names not currently on the list to be in the field but the Valero has never attracted the top stars mainly because of its date on the schedule.
Aggie12B
AG
Driving down from Harker Heights Wednesday night. I can't wait. I've been going every year since 2011. Always have a good time.
Mr.Bond
AG
Serious question. Does kooch take Any tournaments off?

I love how he's a man of the people, but man he plays a ton
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Yesterday
AG
Mr.Bond said:

That's his game plan. He plays a ton and constantly makes top ten's. He hasn't won much(at least in terms of his fame) but he's made a hell of a living doing it.
jgh85Ag
AG
Not looking good weather wise for Saturday.
powerbelly
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Mr.Bond said:

That's his game plan. He plays a ton and constantly makes top ten's. He hasn't won much(at least in terms of his fame) but he's made a hell of a living doing it.
~$43MM in career earnings and can still go out in public without being recognized. Living the dream.
Matsui
AG
Dude is a machine. He has openly stated he loves to play over practicing at home.
Arthur Stilwell
Mr.Bond said:

Gotta pimp those Skechers!!!
Bunk Moreland
powerball said:

~$43MM in career earnings and can still go out in public without being recognized. Living the dream.

Oh bull***** With that hat tan, he's gotta be noticed everywhere.
dodger02
AG
Can't be recognized? Have you seen that forehead tan line?!
Aggie12B
AG
Matsui said:

Dude is a machine. He has openly stated he loves to play over practicing at home.
Kuchar is cool as hell. A couple of years ago, I got to be an Honorary Observer at the Colonial and walk inside the ropes on Friday of that tourney. The threesome I was able to walk the course with was: Kuchar, Fowler, and Furyck. That was a Great Day.
Aggie12B
AG
2nd year in a row, a player gets his first win on the tour at Valero
DannyDuberstein
AG
Kuchar is definitely a marvel. Hasn't missed a cut yet this year, and if you look back at the last decade or so, he only missed more than 2 cuts once (when he missed 4 last year). And several years it's been 0 or 1. It took him some time to find his stride in his 20s, but once he got close the 30, he did and became a golf ATM.

You do wonder if taking a few more weeks off might result in more wins, but I can't argue with the formula. He consistently plays 25-26 events while a lot of players his caliber will only play 20-22. I've always chalked it up to the struggles he had throughout his 20's. He didn't find this level of game until he was nearly 30, so I think he has a different level of appreciation for it than some similarly talented players that found their stride earlier. If you look at his 20s, he spent most years missing about half the cuts (or worse) and had some pretty lean years mixed in. So now he's gonna make hay while the sun is shining.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.