Patrick Reed the person

19,881 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Marauder Blue 6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.golf.com/knockdown/2018/04/08/masters-patrick-reed-estranged-family-complex-mix-emotions

Some might consider this a hit piece, I wasn't aware of his past but this doesn't make me like him very much.
jj9000
AG
Very one-sided.

Family dynamics are tough...especially since nobody really knows how both sides ended up where they are.

I know of another multiple-Major champion that has been a loner for the better part of his career.

I like Reed...always have...and it's really none of my damn business what his relationship with his family is.

It's his business.
annie88
AG
Family drama aside, that's an awful lot of allegations of cheating while playing golf and being an overall jerky person. Certainly doesn't wanna make you like or pull for the guy very much. Really none of my business I guess and we'll see if he is a great golfer to come in the future or not. The family drama doesn't really bother me people have a lot of that going on but it sounds like he does have a history of being a very dishonest golfer and that's really where the issue is.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
annie88
AG
Well the family part shouldn't matter at all with the golf but there's a lot of allegations of him cheating while playing golf and then dismissed from programs for it. That's not the kind a guy you really want to pull for to hear if he's cheated his way up on the golf course.

Sorry the article above is not the one I read, here's the one that I read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5593597/The-turbulent-family-life-new-Masters-champion-Patrick-Reed.html
khaos288
AG
Also heard he's quite the negative character at his CC in the woodlands. Constantly parks his "big ass jeep across the circle drive, blocking anyone from using it"
annie88
AG
Some of the allegations have been:

Expelled from Georgia program, some drinking issues on top of bad golf behavior.

Reed was accused of cheating on the course by claiming an opponent's ball when it was in a better position, and allegedly stole a $400 putter from his teammates.

Notoriety followed him, however, and within weeks at Augusta he had been suspended for an unspecified 'violation of team rules.'

Reed was again accused of cheating by declaring lower scores than he had actually shot, and was reportedly so unpopular with teammates that they wanted him out.

The same year saw Reed in hot water for using a homophobic slur while ranting to himself during an event in Shanghai.

After shooting a bogey on the first hole, television microphones picked up Reed saying 'nice f****** three-putt, you f****** f****t', for which he later apologized. Although I guess he was talking to himself?

Later the same year Reed drew the ire of European golf fans during the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles, shushing the crowd after sinking a putt on the seventh hole.

He kind of seems like a golf dick but then again he wouldn't be the first one.
Yesterday
AG
People can't just watch a man entertain us with his golf game and on the course antics. We have to know how he wipes his ass and who he gets along with. I would point the finger but I read that article with interest too and it sucks.

I'm pulling for Reed. Hope he does well on and off the course but off the course is none of our business
annie88
AG
True. But he didn't seem to be the most honest with some of his past golfing outings if this is all true. Cheating, and stealing are not things that are admirable imo

Cheating at your sport though it's not very impressive to me either. Now if this is all behind him and mostly in his college/early career maybe it's been overblown.

Being a dick in real life having a bunch of family problems doesn't matter.

AG
When you are in the public eye his personal life is also in the public eye. While its none of my business to tell him how to life his life I certainly have the right to have an opinion on his choices. This one kind of hits home because I have seen petty family drama firsthand and its ridiculous and gives a bit of insight to the type of person he is. He's obviously very talented but I won't be pulling for him in the future.
The Milkman
AG
To me, not being popular with your fellow players says alot. I know some people will say its just "not fitting in with your coworkers" but these are a close knit group of guys that are very diverse in backgrounds. One-on-one beefs ala Sergio and Tiger are one thing, but the dislike for him seems to be pretty universal.

This is a poll from a couple years ago. I'd be curious as to see the data in 2018

suprafly03
AG
I'm sure he's a jerk. I don't care.

His cheating and theft allegations are just that, allegations.

His college coaches (at UGA and Augusta State) have denied any knowledge of cheating or theft. Him berating himself after a poor shot doesn't shock me.

Today's pros don't seem to think too poorly of him. He doesn't cheat now. We would obviously know that.

He is likely an arrogant ass. Who cares? Enjoy his game, he's a great golfer.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
We should ignore Tigers transgressions and whole heartedly judge Reed for his. Get with the program people.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
aggiedent
AG
The politics forum: Trump could rape a woman, punch a grandmother in the face, and advocate socialized medicine. The response: the forum would say they don't care because he's not Clinton, placed a conservative Supreme Court justice, and wants to build a wall.

The golf forum: Someone links an article about Patrick Reed's family issues. The response: eeew, I don't like him.

Geez........if you don't know someone, why do you even worry about whether you like them or not? Here's a thought.........watch golf for the sake of watching good golf.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There's 2 sides to every "estranged from the parents" story. I wouldn't even begin to go there in assessing some sort of character flaw or blame.

Now he definitely seems like he was a dbag in college. But I knew a lot of dbags in college. Many of them grow up and pull their **** together. Maybe he's one of them. I really haven't seen or heard much negative since he's been on tour other than being cocky, which I don't really give a squirt about.

But people can pick their favorites and who they want to root against. Doesn't bother me. That's sports.

However, I do think it's a shame that a guy can win the Masters and it's rewarded with reporters deciding to do hit pieces on his family relationship.
jonj101
I'm only interested in Patrick Reed for one reason - he entertains me with his golf game. Whether Reed, Tiger, Lebron, Altuve or any other sports figure, they are there simply for entertainment purposes from my perspective. You would think that after Lance and Tiger people would've learned to stop putting these folks on pedestals and becoming obsessed with every personal detail about them.

All of these folks have dirty laundry - some just makes for better articles than others. The only guy I've ever asked for an autograph was Arnold Palmer, and although he was very unique and genuine, he was by no means a saint.
AG
By that thinking its nobody should have favorite players, or not like certain players even if they're good, everyone should be judged solely on athletic accomplishment. There are plenty of people that don't like Tiger, for a multitude of reasons and that's fine. You can recognize a person is great player but not like him. Comparing politics to sports is stupid, sports don't effect peoples lives personally.
expresswrittenconsent
Cheater
Cen-Tex
AG
C'est la vie! That's life. Don't know too many families that don't have some type of issue. Reed played great golf this week.
jj9000
AG
mike_ags_fan12
As a person: somewhat dickish and someone I don't want to be around.

As a golfer: outstanding and someone I would love to be paired with with on the course.
annie88
AG
Troutslime said:

We should ignore Tigers transgressions and whole heartedly judge Reed for his. Get with the program people.
IMO theyre different things though. I've said several times I don't care what his family issues are or if these a dick, but if he truly did cheat at golf and steal that's really not to cool, but as a poster said above if they were allegations maybe they didn't happen but it's kind of strange the same things happen several times. And I usually find it very telling when someone's own past teams/players aren't pulling for him.

Tiger cheated on his wife he's a dick but did he cheat on the golf course? Did he steal things? I don't know just two different things it seems.

Hey, the guy won and deserved the win in the end. People want to support him and pull for him that's great. This discussion is just about some people not really wanting to support him based on what they've heard.

Plenty of people don't want to pull for Tiger for what he did. People don't want to pull for Jordan Spieth simply because he's a tsip . There's all different reasons why people don't pull for people, they're just being brought up nobody's wanting to execute the guy or say he doesn't deserve the win. There's plenty of golfers to go around for people to loathe or like.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't tend to hold grudges over people that did something selfish and stupid at age 18-19. I'd hate everyone.
annie88
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

There's 2 sides to every "estranged from the parents" story. I wouldn't even begin to go there in assessing some sort of character flaw or blame.

Now he definitely seems like he was a dbag in college. But I knew a lot of dbags in college. Many of them grow up and pull their **** together. Maybe he's one of them. I really haven't seen or heard much negative since he's been on tour other than being cocky, which I don't really give a squirt about.

But people can pick their favorites and who they want to root against. Doesn't bother me. That's sports.

However, I do think it's a shame that a guy can win the Masters and it's rewarded with reporters deciding to do hit pieces on his family relationship.
Well said and true. Maybe his problems are behind him and most of us probably wouldn't want to be the people we were in college whether good or bad.
annie88
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I don't tend to hold grudges over people that did something selfish and stupid at age 18-19. I'd hate everyone.
Most people are stupid 18 and 19. So I guess until he tries to take Ricky Fowler's ball or steals Phil Mickelson's club its good.
jj9000
AG
Dude just won the Masters...and is our version of Ian Poulter in Match Play.

I want him on every Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup Team in the foreseeable future.

I don't give a rats @ss about what he did in College...or his wife's Twitter relationship with his parents.

Cen-Tex
AG
I'll just judge him on his golf game.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Comparing politics to sports is stupid, sports don't effect peoples lives personally.

That's exactly my point. In something as important as politics, we are willing to forgive ugly nasty incidents, as long as that politician thinks like us. Example Trump.

In something as harmless and meaningless as sports, we get worked up over the most trivial character issues, or perceived issues. By all means, root for your favorite player. I'm just wondering why you are so worried about a guy who plays golf for a living and has a bunch of family issues.................when you don't even know half the details?

98Ag99Grad
AG
The guy worked his ass off early on with all the monday qualifiers and what not. Until he is proven to be a cheater, you have to believe him when he says he didn't do it. Don't care one bit about the parent thing; everyone has some sort of family drama going on. I love we have a guy who doesn't wilt under the microscope and pressure for once. He's an old school pro golfer- fat, loaner, kinda dbag, actually shapes shots. I like him.
HouAggie
AG
He seems like a complete dbag, and combined with his shady past, that gives me reason to root against him. I don't care about what criteria folks think that I should be allowed to use to judge him. And, equally important, he does not care that I judge him or root against him.
AG
aggiedent said:

Quote:

Comparing politics to sports is stupid, sports don't effect peoples lives personally.

That's exactly my point. In something as important as politics, we are willing to forgive ugly nasty incidents, as long as that politician thinks like us. Example Trump.

In something as harmless and meaningless as sports, we get worked up over the most trivial character issues, or perceived issues. By all means, root for your favorite player. I'm just wondering why you are so worried about a guy who plays golf for a living and has a bunch of family issues.................when you don't even know half the details?

I'm not all worked up about anything. I don't understand why so many people are acting like if you don't like him for whatever reason that also means that you don't respect his game or acknowledge his talent. You're right, there are two sides to every story but his past and the fact that not many guys on the tour like him gives me reason to believe the allegations against him. Golf is a little different in that everyone has their favorite players and those that they don't like for whatever reason since its an individual sport without a home team.

Now if I was betting on golf in the future I'd bet on him if I thought he was going to make me money whether I like him personally or not. Same with politics, Trump may not be a great person in his personal life but I agree with him on the issues and that's what really matters.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

......and the fact that not many guys on the tour like him gives me reason to believe ................

You've done a survey or you're placing total belief in a few snarky articles written about Patrick filled with anonymous sources?

Quote:

Trump may not be a great person in his personal life but I agree with him on the issues and that's what really matters.

I was raised different. My parents always taught me that my character, morals, and way I treat people is THE most important thing in representing who I am. What I believe about politics, religion, or sports is secondary.
AG
aggiedent said:

Quote:

Trump may not be a great person in his personal life but I agree with him on the issues and that's what really matters.

I was raised different. My parents always taught me that my character, morals, and way I treat people is THE most important thing in representing who I am. What I believe about politics, religion, or sports is secondary.

Yet you are calling me out for not liking a guy that has been accused of cheating multiple times, whose teammates disliked him so much they wanted him kicked off their team and who won't let his parents meet their grandchildren even though they have been continually reaching out to him for several years. Seems legit.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Allegations is the key word. Both his coaches have said they don't recall any issues with cheating. I recall the story saying he was about to cheat, but didn't. How do we know he didn't think he was about to play his own ball?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
powerbelly
AG
Troutslime said:

Allegations is the key word. Both his coaches have said they don't recall any issues with cheating. I recall the story saying he was about to cheat, but didn't. How do we know he didn't think he was about to play his own ball?
That is what they say publicly. From a few people I know connected to college golf Reed has more than earned his reputation.
DadAG10
aggiedent said:

Quote:

......and the fact that not many guys on the tour like him gives me reason to believe ................

You've done a survey

No, but others have. From 2015.

https://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/4/6/8352497/pga-tour-players-poll-bubba-watson-fight-masters-2015

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.