Thing a to do in Charleston, SC

3,222 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by E
Shane431
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are going to the Master's on Sat but have a day in Charleston on Thursday. Any recommendations on things to do in Charleston?
Pabby
AG
Eat. A lot.
Shane431
AG
Ok, what restaurants do you recommend?
Pabby
AG
Our favorites were Husk and The Ordinary. If the weather is nice drinks at the Vendue rooftop.

Cru cafe is a good place for a more laid back dinner.

For brunch, high cotton.
gillom
AG
Husk, Magnolias, Callies Hot Little Biscuit.

The Gin Joint, Proof, Prohibition for cocktails.

Barrel aged Manhattan's are awesome at Proof.
AustinCountyAg
I second drinks on top of vendue. Go during the afternoon. Theirs a good chance you and your wife could be the only ones up there and have the top to yourself.

All restaurants are good so I'm not going to leave and particulars. Close your eyes and pick one on a list randomly.

For actual things I suggest taking a horse carriage tour. It will be a good quick way for you and your wife to check out downtown area. Also you can buy an all day ferry pass for five bucks and basically it gives you a free guided tour of the harbor, aircraft carrier and sub/ see dolphins etc.
gillom
AG
FYI... Charleston before the Masters last year was the best vacation I've ever been on.
mongey donk
AG
https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2933714/replies
dc509
AG
If you don't have dinner reservations go to F.I.G. (Food is Good) and eat at their common table. Even if I got a reservation there I would still request the common table. The food is phenomenal, and you meet a lot of really interesting people.
JYDog90
AG
Or if all else fails, just eat She-Crab Soup and sweet tea every meal.
gman-79
AG
Fort Sumter Tour
anonymousAg05
AG
Its a little outside Charleston, but the angel oak tree is impressive if you have the time.
bemer
S
Slightly North of Broad good place to eat.
Ag_07
AG
Sticking with the golf theme I'll suggest Kiawah.

If you don't want or have time to play the Ocean Course I suggest heading out there anyway. The drive is awesome. Just tell the guys at the gate you're having lunch there. Sit out on the patio at the Ryder Cup Bar and enjoy lunch and drinks as you watch groups come in on 18. Kick your shoes off and take a stroll over the dunes and spend some time on the beach.

Don't worry if the weather is nice there will be plenty of people there that aren't playing golf but just visiting.
AgDotCom
What a freaking great town. I knew I wouldn't be alone in that thought. Could easily live there, not in the town but the outskirts. Would go into town regularly, though.
gigemJTH12
AG
can you give me any tips on this? staying there sunday night and would like to play golf monday before the masters. food, golf, etc recs appreciated
gillom
AG
Imagine a clean New Orleans. Great food, night life but not rancid. That's Charleston.

King St. is the main drag in downtown. Older style speak easys up and down. Great cocktails. Prohibition and Proof were my favorite. The Belmont is popular. The Gin Joint is off King St but very interesting drinks. Another poster suggested Vendue Rooftop... Great choice. We spent three days there so we had a lot of time to explore.

We also drove out to Folly Beach one afternoon. Cool little town. Not much to do but worth a stop if you have time. Has a pier into the Atlantic... first time I'd ever seen an Atlantic Beach. Grabbed lunch and a couple beers at a Irish pub and came back to Charleston.

Food: Husk was great, Magnolias was pretty good, Callies Hot Little Biscuit has people standing in line out the door for breakfast. Also, Husk has a little bar next door with a great barrel aged drinks. If you want to go to Husk, you need to try to get a reservation now. It may be too late. We ended up going for a late lunch cause that's all that was left... still worth it.

Golf: We played Wild Dunes. I wouldn't suggest it. Think old style country club. Old course, ok shape narrow and short. Back 9 was 2900 yards and played like 3900. Entire back was into a gale. I don't have to score well to enjoy a vacation course but this one just didn't have anything special.

Thats the only course we played. I couldn't shell out the 400 for Kiawah but if you can I'm sure it's worth it. There are a few low country courses that looked nice, we just chose poorly.

Summary: Stick to King St... almost can't go wrong for any cocktail stop. There is also shopping on the lower end of King. There are good food options off King but there wasn't one meal I had that I'd say I wouldn't want again.

Hope this helps.
Shane431
AG
Thanks for all the help! Sometimes the zoo comes through!
Locknload
AG
Pearlz Oyster Bar on E. Bay St.
Sat at tables on sidewalk for late afternoon bite and ate Crab Cakes, peeled shrimp etc Awesome!
gillom
AG
Any of you Charleston goers have a report?
AustinCountyAg
curious what the drive was like to ANGC from Charleston? When I win tickets I too would like to make Charleston my home base for the trip. Just wondering if it was worth driving the 2+ hours to the tournament or if it would be better to find a hotel room a little closer.....
gillom
AG
Worth the drive. Wasn't bad at all and crappy hotels near Augusta are outrageous.
AustinCountyAg
What time did you leave charleston? What time you get to Augusta?
gillom
AG
Think we left at 6. Walked into gates at 9. Easy drive. Id probably leave at 5 next time.
gvine07
AG
Bump - my wife and I are going for 4 nights in March. Let me know of any other places we must see.

I also saw this thread https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2512427

Edit: I found this thread on google and didn't realize it was in the Golf forum until I posted my reply. Sorry - I assumed it was the travel forum.
E
AG
I went for New Years with the girlfriend and we had an awesome time, the food was the best food on a vacation I've ever had.

Restaurants: Magnolias was out my favorite and Darling Oyster Bar & S.N.O.B. were excellent as well. We also picked up Callie's Hot Little Biscuit for breakfast one day, it was worth it.

We stayed on King St which was convenient as it's the main drag and everything is walkable. We did a walking tour, and wanted to go to Fort Sumpter but it was closed due to govt shutdown. We also visited a planatstion and went to the slave mart, very informative and eye opening.

Here's a previous thread on the golf forum
https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3007988/replies
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.