Los Rios Is Closing

4,406 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgfromHOU
Robert C. Christian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will be turned into a city park by 2019.

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort-worth/plano/parks-recreation/2018/03/12/club-los-rios-golf-course-converted-city-plano-park-space-2019/
DannyDuberstein
AG
RIP Stinky Rios. I think I recall this plan being brought up 1-2 years ago. Honestly, I'm amazed it lasted this long.
LHIOB
AG
About a year and a half ago a buddy and I played Los Rios as a last minute deal. It was in garbage shape but for $19 on short notice we didnt care.

We get to the first tee and we are paired with 2 guys, both in jeans. On the 2nd or 3rd green one of the guys tells us that the other is owner and not to bad mouth the course.

Sometime around 17 the owner asked us what we would change. We are both mid 30s professions with kids who like to golf - which should be one of their targets. We told him to hire some cart girls, do beer specials and make it a fun place to hangout. At the time they didnt have a beer cart. He wold us he was going to focus on building a gazebo for wedding and making the clubhouse a cool bar for locals to hang out. Sure enough we get off the 18th green and there is a half a gazebo that they were building. He honestly thought people would want to get married there.

We still joke about that whenever we play golf...

The only bad part about Los Rios closing will be all the hackers there taking their play to other nearby courses.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Here's the story I was remembering. Plano bought the land in 2014, but gave a 5 year lease to keep the course open (for $1/yr). The intention at the end of the 5 years (or 6 if a one year option on the lease was extended) was to convert it to a park. So that explains why it appears that 2019 will be the end.

http://starlocalmedia.com/planocourier/plano-purchases-los-rios-golf-course/article_055b98e4-5ac3-11e4-aa3d-d313de520d1f.html

DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree about the hacker concern. I really like Pecan Hollow since it's been redone, but the traffic and hacker factor out there keep me from playing it much.

Anyway, what a romantic place for a wedding with the stench of the sewer treatment center combined with the driveup appeal of a parking lot full of potholes. I haven't played Stinky Rios in a few years, but if I recall, you practically needed a Hum-V to navigate the parking lot.
jj9000
AG
Played there about 5 years ago...and made the decision to never go back.

You could slap a $100 bill on my desk right now and tell me I could play it for free...and I'd pass it up.

I never understood why the City of Plano didn't scoop up Los Rios and join it with Pecan Hollow for a 36 hole golf park. They have adjacent fairways (Los Rios #1/#2 and Pecan Hollow #7). The 10 year old inside my head just laughed when I typed "Los Rios #2".

Pecan Hollow's renovation is one of the best I've seen. It's also one of the slowest rounds you could possibly play.
Waterski02
AG
Interesting, we were members growing up, place had been on the downward trend since the mid-90s. I think we dropped our membership around that time as well.

Worked the pool one summer in college, the place was basically in shambles by then.

Not sure that area of town needs a 3rd gigantic park though.
chick79
AG
My daughter was a cart girl there one summer about five years ago. It is a crap course. Sorry, no rule #1.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Even when you found a deal to play that course for $19, it still seemed like a ripoff.
Boo Weekley
LHIOB said:

About a year and a half ago a buddy and I played Los Rios as a last minute deal. It was in garbage shape but for $19 on short notice we didnt care.

We get to the first tee and we are paired with 2 guys, both in jeans. On the 2nd or 3rd green one of the guys tells us that the other is owner and not to bad mouth the course.

Sometime around 17 the owner asked us what we would change. We are both mid 30s professions with kids who like to golf - which should be one of their targets. We told him to hire some cart girls, do beer specials and make it a fun place to hangout. At the time they didnt have a beer cart. He wold us he was going to focus on building a gazebo for wedding and making the clubhouse a cool bar for locals to hang out. Sure enough we get off the 18th green and there is a half a gazebo that they were building. He honestly thought people would want to get married there.

We still joke about that whenever we play golf...

The only bad part about Los Rios closing will be all the hackers there taking their play to other nearby courses.
The type of man who plays golf in jeans and thinks people will flock to a crappy golf course for weddings probably takes his woman out to Shoney's or Applebee's for their anniversary.
Pignorant
AG
Would have a been a perfect opportunity to turn it into a 12 hole course with some other use for the remaining holes.

Cities need to learn that 18 holes courses aren't always the best use for a golf facility.
DannyDuberstein
AG
As crappy as it was though, to the point someone above made, I really don't understand the point of turning it into a park given both Bob Woodruff and Oak Point are already nearby. I'd rather they just keep it as a budget course for the hackers. Make a few upgrades, put a little lipstick on it and keep it going. Especially since Pecan Hollow gets so much play. I really don't know why they bought it to begin with.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It has finally happened. Closed at the end of September

Pour one out for Stinky Rios (or maybe just flush the toilet in honor of it)
TheGreatScott12
AG
Los Stinkos
AgfromHOU
AG
On one of the holes I hit my ball into the wall by the road and it bounced onto the green, about 12 feet away for a birdie putt.

We couldn't tell the difference between the fairway and rough. It was pretty bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.