***Official Tiger Comeback Thread 3.0***

10,047 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by '03ag
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So far in his comeback:

Hero World Challenge: 69-68-75-68 (-8) 9th place out of 18

Farmers Insurance Open 72-71-70-72 (-3) 23rd place out of full field

Genesis Open 72-76 (+6) misses cut

Honda Classic 70-71-69-70 (E) 12th Place

So, two made cuts out of three full fields, one top 20 finish in a full field.

Appears to be making strides each tournament in ball striking. Went from terrible short game in Heros to now above average now. Went from proximity of the hole at Farmers being bottom half to top of the field now.

Really looks like he is turning a corner. What do you expect leading up to and at Augusta? The rest of the year?

Im putting over/unders at the following

Wins this year: 1.5
Major wins this year: 0.5
Missed Cuts at Majors: 0.5
Finish at the Masters: 15th (Since turning pro, he has only been outside the top 15 in 1999, 2004, 2012, 2015)
Fed Ex Cup ranking: 40th (Would have set that around 20 if he played a full schedule)
hunterjr81
I cant believe how well he is doing. I predict 3 wins with one of them being a major (the open).
HouAggie
AG
Over
Under
Over
Under
Under
redsquirrelAG
AG
It's been great to see his potential increase each week. Hopeful he breaks thru!
bagger05
AG
Last thing I haven't seen from him yet is the ability to go low. Ball striking was freakin outstanding this past week. Scrambling has been good, putter looks good, this week his course management was good.

He's not going to win tournaments shooting two or three under four rounds in a row. Needs to be able to have that one day when he goes out and shoots 65 or 66.
CapCityAg89
AG
Over
Over
Over
Under
No idea.
'03ag
Under
Under
Under
Over
Under
Chipotlemonger
AG
He is really close. The 69 in Saturday was, in his own words, about as high a score possible for him to shoot that day.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Over
Under
Over
Over
Under
Chipotlemonger
AG
Over
Over
Over
Under
Under
David_Puddy
AG
hunterjr81 said:

I cant believe how well he is doing. I predict 3 wins with one of them being a major (the open).
The Shank Ag
For what it's worth I'm

Over, Wins 1 major and 1 non major
Over Wins either the Masters or The Open
Over Misses cut at the US Open and close to cutline at PGA
Under Finishes top 10 with a chance to win
Under Finishes about 12th with two wins and a top 10 at another major
The Shank Ag
Officially entered Valspar and Bay Hill
91AggieLawyer
AG
I think career wise, he'll pass Snead - maybe not this year - but won't win another major.
Ag_07
AG
Playing with Speith and Stenson Thurs/Fri
birdman
Under
Under
Over
He could finish 12th.
I think top 40 to 50 is about right. Can't see him making the final tournament of Fedex Cup.
bagger05
AG
He's been playing really well so far this week.

Biggest question for the majors for me is driving. He's gone with irons off the tee a lot. Can he get away with that in the majors? If he can, will he have the discipline to do it?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Great point. Certainly his mind will change some from playing in the Valspar to playing st Augusta. Perhaps that's why he's trying to get as many reps as possible, to try and ingrain that practice a bit.
champagnepapi
Co-Leading Valspar!!!
_lefraud_
AG
That was always the concern back in his heyday, so I'm not sure it's the concern now. To me, the concern is how he handles himself emotionally and psychologically when it comes to missing fairways at the Majors.
PJYoung
AG
Most PGA Tour wins by players currently under age 45:

Tiger overall - 79
Tiger WGCs - 18
Dustin Johnson - 17
Tiger in Florida - 16
Tiger majors - 14
Tiger in California - 14
Rory McIlroy - 13
Tiger in Ohio -13
Adam Scott - 13
Zach Johnson - 12
sellthefarm
AG
This is awesome. And he pretty much skipped the decade that he should have won the most...oh what could have been.
watty
AG
After last week, the sky is the limit again. I'm so excited. I could go on and on and write too much, but I'll refrain. I'm just really happy he's back. It's gonna be fun. Here's hoping he holds up physically. If he does, there are tons of wins left in his bag.
PJYoung
AG
sellthefarm said:

This is awesome. And he pretty much skipped the decade that he should have won the most...oh what could have been.

Meh, this is better. Comebacks always mean more.
bagger05
AG
Tiger has climbed to #149 in the world. He has until the end of July to crack the top 50 to get into the Bridgestone.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think he'll make it.
watty
AG
While this isn't exact or anything, I think he would need to amass about 80 OWGR points between now and then. If he can play, what, 8 tournaments between now and then(?), he could easily do it.

A win in a lesser tournament gains anywhere from 40-65 points.

In majors, the ranking points go something like this:

Win: 100
2nd: 60
3rd: 40
4th: 20

Players Championship:

Win: 80
2nd: 50
3rd: 30

Finishing around 10th in a non-major generally gets you about 5-7 points. Finishing around 10th in a major gets you about 13.

So the key for Tiger would be to either win a tournament, or contend in a major, or get a bunch of top 10s without having any bad weeks. All seem reasonable. It's hard to imagine him not figuring out how to finish top 10 at both Bay Hill and Augusta and probably get into the top 5 in one of them now that he has proven to himself that he can compete for 72 holes, pain free, in a strong field. All doubts are gone now, for him. He has Bay Hill, three majors, and the Players, plus whatever else he adds. Big point opportunities.
_lefraud_
AG
Looking at the schedule:

Bay Hill - playing this week

Match Play - not eligible (won't play the opposite event in DR)

Houston Open - never plays week before Masters

Augusta - CAN NOT GET HERE SOON ENOUGH

Harbor Town - doubtful the week after Augusta

Valero - doubtful, but this event would make sense, unless he plays the team event the following week.

Zurch - team event but this would be the start of likely 3 in a row

Quail Hollow - likely

Players - no doubt

At&T - doubtful

Colonial - doubtful

Memorial - yes

St. Jude - no

Us Open - hell yes

Travelers - no

National - yes (he's tournament)

EDIT: if he continues to play well, I'd imagine he sticks with his traditional schedule, but he's eventually got to test his body/performance playing two and three weeks in a row to get ready for this summer.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I'll admit it was good to see him stir things up. I bet a lot of PGA guys like the vibe of a amped up crowd.

Will be interesting to see back to back weeks and how he holds up or dials it in even better. Dude can drop some bombs on the green, always good to see.
CapCityAg89
AG
It's still fascinating how an old guy, who hasn't competed in a couple years and who lots of people say won't win another major absolutely dominates ratings and attendance

They added a parking lot and 300 volunteers last weekend when he made the cut. That is insane.

If anyone questions why TV shows every shot of his - there you go. Crystal clear why.
bagger05
AG
Sunday and Monday I overheard several conversations at church, the grocery store, and the gym about The Valspar. THE VALSPAR. The dude moves the needle.
Ag_07
AG
Someone I saw retweeted a worker at the Valspar who said that they sold a way more drinks than they typically do during the tourney and it resulted in significantly more tips.

It was just another example of the trickle down effect of Tiger and his impact on the game. It's felt all the way down to the folks selling concessions.
birdman
If Tiger remains a good, but not great golfer - how long do you think the buzz continues?

He is favorite golfer for lots of people. They will root for him no matter what he scores.

If he finishes 16th in the Masters and is never really in the tournament, the buzz will quiet down.

Majority of people are excited about the comeback. They aren't going to continue to lose their minds for a guy that makes the cut but doesn't end up on first page of leaderboard. No matter what his past history is.
boy09
AG
birdman said:

how long do you think the buzz continues?
As long as his name stays even relatively close to the top of the leaderboards, and especially as long as he is healthy enough to keep entering Majors.
The Shank Ag
Apparently he went low in the bay hill pro am today. 5 or 6 under
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.