Kerrville/Comfort Area Golf

1,370 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by raidernarizona
BESCo91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of y'all ever played Scott Schreiner CG (Kerr), Comanche Trace CG (Kerr), Riverhill CC (Kerr), or The Buckhorn CG (Com)?

Gonna be down there in mid-March.
Looks like all are public, with the exception of Riverhill CC.

Any recommendations?
Obi Wan Ginobili
I don't think Comanche Trace is public, but if you can play there, they have bent grass greens.

The Buckhorn isn't a very difficult course, but it has some nice holes and some fun elevation changes. One of the par 3's in particular plays something like 3 clubs shorter because the tee box is so high up. There is also a pretty good par 5 where you tee off from an elevated tee box, and then your next 2-3 shots are back uphill to the green.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Comanche Trace is private. Have to be a guest at the resort.

I've played Schriener. It's pretty decent for a muni track. Cheap. Good layout but if you're accustomed to pristine surfaces, you won't be happy. Pretty serviceable option IMO.
BESCo91
AG
Thanks y'all!
BoerneGator
AG
As a "member", I'll put in a good word for The Buckhorn. It's the best "value", around, imho, but I enjoy the Schreiner course too. The Buck is wide open, thus giving it the impression it's "easy", but its large, sloping greens (which are playing extremely fast now; easy to three putt on a normal day) are its defense.

Send me a PM and I'll join you for a round at the Buck.
Obi Wan Ginobili
BoerneGator said:

As a "member", I'll put in a good word for The Buckhorn. It's the best "value", around, imho, but I enjoy the Schreiner course too. The Buck is wide open, thus giving it the impression it's "easy", but its large, sloping greens (which are playing extremely fast now; easy to three putt on a normal day) are its defense.

Send me a PM and I'll join you for a round at the Buck.
Playing the Buckhorn on Saturday morning for my league. One of my favorite courses.
BESCo91
AG
Thanks for the info & invite!
wsjag
AG
Another vote for buckhorn.

Great value good condition and was generally never crowded compared to other SA courses on s weekend,

Vaaler creek in blanco is another option if you don't mind the drive
REMARCH11
AG
Haven't played Schreiner recently, but Buckhorn was a fun track. Would play there anytime.
inozips
AG
Good advice from all, do like Lady Bird in Fredericksburg too, it would be closer not better than Vaaler in Blanco. Get your BBQ fix at Buzzy's in Kerrville.
BESCo91
AG
Yep ..... Buzzie's BBQ ..... heard that a few times.
BESCo91
AG
I *think* I have a connection to get me on Riverhill and maybe Comanche Chase.

Either way, looking forward to it!
raidernarizona
BESCo91 said:

Yep ..... Buzzie's BBQ ..... heard that a few times.
Lived here 20+ years. All good advice, except the BBQ. No offense but Buzzie's q is fair at best, and the atmosphere is worse.

After a round in Kerrville, I'd go to Pint & Plow and enjoy a craft beer and a pizza outside or Grape Juice.
In Comfort, I'd go to Comfort Pizza and grab a wood fired pizza.
BESCo91
AG
Thanks for the input!!!
Care to comment on these establishments?

The Lakehouse - 1655 Junction Hwy, 830-895-3188

Mamacita's - 215 Junction Hwy, 830-895-2441

Billy Gene's - 1489 Junction Hwy, 830-895-7377

1011 Bistro - 1011 Guadalupe Street, 830-895-1169
raidernarizona
Not sure where you're coming from, but if you're a foodie, this town can be a little slim on options.

Mamacita's is the only one I've been to in the last 10 years so I'm not much help. My kids love it, but it's nothing to get too excited about. I think it's their small arcade that excites my 7 and 9 year old

My Dad really liked The Lakehouse when I was a kid so he'd take me there. Their fried catfish, hushpuppies, etc are all good.

Billy Gene's - home-cooking that's super popular with our large retired community. Only been here once.

1011 Bistro - not sure, it's been to long but seems to be well liked and probably has the best atmosphere overlooking the Guadalupe if the weather is nice and you can sit on the patio.

Francisco's on Earl Garrett is a solid option also. Have fun!
Earp16
AG
I live in Kerrville as well and agree with raider. If you are looking for bbq try Bill's. But Grape Juice is our go to restaurant in town. Good menu, wine list and lots of craft beer. Pint & Plow is another good option for local craft beer and pizza. We have another new small brewery in town...Basement Brewers of Texas. BBT does not serve food. I haven't tried it out yet, but its another spot to grab a beer after a round at schreiner and is close to the course. There are better Mexican food options than Mamacita's....for sure grab breakfast tacos at Rita's or Mary's. 1011 Bistro is good but pricey. For Italian I'd recommend Bella Vita or Carmine's.

Schreiner is a fun (par 70) track for a muni IMO. If you can get on at Commanche though, play there. I've only played Riverhill in a drought about 7 years ago when course conditions were terrible.
BESCo91
AG
Thanks raider & Earp.

BBQ - Bill's.
TexMex - Rita's or Mary's.
Italian - Bella Vita or Carmine's.
Beer - Pint & Plow, Grape Juice.
Surf & Turf - Lakeside.
1011 Bistro - Higher End, white table cloth.

Schreiner - Solid muni, good track.
Comanche Trace - perhaps a bit better than Riverhill.
raidernarizona
I think you've got it, except the surf & turf is more likely at 1011 Bistro. The Lakehouse is just fried southern style food. Also, Grape Juice is one of our most solid eateries, not just beer. If they still have the chicken sandwich on the menu, that is a great post round splurge.

Quote:

Schreiner - Solid muni, good track.

Comanche Trace - perhaps a bit better than Riverhill.

Riverhill is great, but I much prefer Comanche Trace. Particularly The Hills and The Valley. The Creeks eats my lunch every time.

I played Schreiner Saturday. The greens are in rough shape right now. Hopefully they'll look better for you in a month.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.