Augusta National

10,262 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bagger05
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know the t-sip golf team flew to Augusta and played Augusta National a few months ago. Tom Hicks and 2 other rich t-sips are members there. Are any Aggies members at Augusta National?
aginlakeway
AG
SW AG80 said:

I know the t-sip golf team flew to Augusta and played Augusta National a few months ago. Tom Hicks and 2 other rich t-sips are members there. Are any Aggies members at Augusta National?

Are you sure Hicks is a member? If he is, he became a member in the last few years.

I do know Darrell Royal was invited but his wife turned it down without telling him he was ever invited. True story.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
SW AG80
AG
He was in the private jet that took 7 members of the golf team. The player I know sure thought he was a member, and that's after spending 2 days there.

There were 2 other t-sip alumni on that trip, too. The players thought all 3 were members of Augusta.
aginlakeway
AG
SW AG80 said:

He was in the private jet that took 7 members of the golf team. The player I know sure thought he was a member, and that's after spending 2 days there.

There were 2 other t-sip alumni on that trip, too. The players thought all 3 were members of Augusta.

Very possible. Just recent. I'm not sure if any Aggie is a member. Is the new Exxon CEO an Aggie? He may get an invite at some point.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
SW AG80
AG
The new Exxon CEO is an Aggie. I don't think Augusta has an Aggie. Can't believe women were invited before Aggies!!
GIF Reactor
AG
If Hicks is a member wouldn't he have been wearing his green jacket while on property?
GIF Reactor
AG
Oh, and I volunteer to be the trailblazer and be the first Aggie member.
aginlakeway
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

If Hicks is a member wouldn't he have been wearing his green jacket while on property?

I asked someone today who would know. He doesn't think Hicks is a member.
Old Town Ag
AG
This seems to likely be an NCAA violation!
boxcar
AG
Hicks has been a member for approx 20 years. Presidents of Exxon, Chevron, AT&T & a (very) few others are offered memberships as well...
aginlakeway
AG
boxcar said:

Hicks has been a member for approx 20 years. Presidents of Exxon, Chevron, AT&T on a (very) few others are offered memberships as well...

Sounds like a knowledgeable answer to me. Thanks.
SW AG80
AG
Old Town Ag said:

I had that thought, too. But if the university paid for the flight and all expenses then it is just a practice round at a very nice county club. Our guys get that too, just not at Augusta evidently.
GIF Reactor
AG
I think I've seen them post about rounds out at Bluejack. Not comparing the two, just saying they do get to play some really nice, exclusive courses.
aginlakeway
AG
SW AG80 said:

Old Town Ag said:

I had that thought, too. But if the university paid for the flight and all expenses then it is just a practice round at a very nice county club. Our guys get that too, just not at Augusta evidently.

I bet the Arkansas team plays at Alotian. It's just as nice as Augusta. Maybe nicer.
stick93
AG
aginlakeway said:

SW AG80 said:

Old Town Ag said:

I bet the Arkansas team plays at Alotian. It's just as nice as Augusta. Maybe nicer.
^^^^This man speaks the truth.
BoerneGator
AG
aginlakeway said:

SW AG80 said:

Old Town Ag said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-alotian-club
Golf Digest might disagree.
Still, 27th is no slouch!
aginlakeway
AG
BoerneGator said:

aginlakeway said:

SW AG80 said:

Old Town Ag said:

OK. But that is a rating of the golf course. And the issue that many have always had with that list is many of the nicest courses in this country don't want the attention that comes form being ranked so high.

I have played both Augusta and Alotian. Alotian is just as nice of a golf course, and it's a nicer country club, which was the post I was responding to. And I know several people who have played both that would agree with me.

BoerneGator
AG
Reckon I misunderstood. I have difficulty imagining anything "nicer" than Augusta National.

Pinehurst isn't swanky, but the course(s) are a delight. Pebble likewise.
aginlakeway
AG
BoerneGator said:

Reckon I misunderstood. I have difficulty imagining anything "nicer" than Augusta National.

Agree.

Cypress Point is a dump, other than the golf course. So is Pine Valley. But both ahead in my opinion of Augusta as far as quality of golf course.

Imagine ... there are some who are members of SEVERAL of those places!
The Milkman
AG
If I recall, I remember seeing that Pinehurst is actually pretty affordable when it comes to membership at world class golf courses

Edit: yup. Found it

powerbelly
AG
aginlakeway said:

BoerneGator said:

aginlakeway said:

SW AG80 said:

Old Town Ag said:

OK. But that is a rating of the golf course. And the issue that many have always had with that list is many of the nicest courses in this country don't want the attention that comes form being ranked so high.

I have played both Augusta and Alotian. Alotian is just as nice of a golf course, and it's a nicer country club, which was the post I was responding to. And I know several people who have played both that would agree with me.
This is what I have always heard from the people who are members at one, or both, and have played both many times.
GeorgeBailey
AG
aginlakeway said:

Aginlakeway,

How did you make it on to Augusta? I personally only know one other person that has played there.

Is it like an out-of-body experience that seemed like it only lasted 15 minutes?

aginlakeway
AG
jonaadams said:

aginlakeway said:

Aginlakeway,

How did you make it on to Augusta? I personally only know one other person that has played there.

Is it like an out-of-body experience that seemed like it only lasted 15 minutes?

I won the media lottery in 1994. Still have picture of me on 18th tee in my home office ...

https://imgur.com/a/M1EsE

Here is me at Pine Valley one year later ...

https://imgur.com/FNp72dB

I've been VERY blessed.

Matsui
AG
outstanding

and wow golf attire was so slouchy back then. borderline homeless looking! Ha!
jonj101
aginlakeway said:

BoerneGator said:

Agree.

Cypress Point is a dump, other than the golf course. So is Pine Valley. But both ahead in my opinion of Augusta as far as quality of golf course.

First time I've heard that about Cypress Point. If you mean the clubhouse, then yea from the pics Ive seen its pretty modest, but I think thats intentional. Thats my number 1 bucket list course.

Every pic Ive seen of the Alotian is beautiful.
localag88
Looks like Bloomberg amassed a list in 2014 employing several sources and Hicks isn't on it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-augusta-national-golf-club-members/

It certainly says the list is not exhaustive, and a couple members I know aren't on it, but they are what I would call old, quiet money. It would appear the more recognizable folks are on there.
aginlakeway
AG
jonj101 said:

aginlakeway said:

BoerneGator said:

Agree.

First time I've heard that about Cypress Point. If you mean the clubhouse, then yea from the pics Ive seen its pretty modest, but I think thats intentional. Thats my number 1 bucket list course.

Every pic Ive seen of the Alotian is beautiful.

I meant the clubhouse at CP. Not the course.
SW AG80
AG
88, thanks for a link to that list. I would be a much better member than Bill Gates. The one guy who I have met who is a member is not on that list. So, as is stated, that list is not an exhaustive one.
Rlcoker
AG
Hicks is a member. A buddy of mine is VP - Sales for a company owned by Hick's PE firm. There years ago Hicks took my buddy and two customers to the Masters. They took the private jet, stayed at the home Hick's rents and he walked them around the property every day for three days. Even took them to a membet dinner on Wednesday night at the clubhouse. My friend said the customers received Hick's undivided attention the entire trip and was an amazing host.
GeorgeBailey
AG

GeorgeBailey
AG
jonaadams said:

Quote:

I won the media lottery in 1994. Still have picture of me on 18th tee in my home office ...

https://imgur.com/a/M1EsE

Here is me at Pine Valley one year later ...

https://imgur.com/FNp72dB

I've been VERY blessed.

ahhh...1994 John Daly was setting the golf fashion trends at the time.

I assume you had a great time playing the course.

Thanks for the pics.
dc509
AG
Rlcoker said:

Hicks is a member. A buddy of mine is VP - Sales for a company owned by Hick's PE firm. There years ago Hicks took my buddy and two customers to the Masters. They took the private jet, stayed at the home Hick's rents and he walked them around the property every day for three days. Even took them to a membet dinner on Wednesday night at the clubhouse. My friend said the customers received Hick's undivided attention the entire trip and was an amazing host.
That's awesome.
dc509
AG
On a side note, Billy Payne has had an absolutely awesome run. He was the chairman of Augusta National and he brought the Olympics to Atlanta.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
I have played Augusta on 5 separate occasions. Augusta is cool and has the ahhh factor. Honestly do not need to ever go back. Quite a few people from Texas are members.

I prefer Cypress Point over Augusta just a preference. I have played Pine Valley and it just ate me apart.
SW AG80
AG
I need friends like some of you. Unfortunately I passed up my chance to play Cypress. Will probably never have the chance to play Augusta.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.