Tony Romo getting a sponsors exemption in a PGA tournament

3,810 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PJYoung
Post removed:
by user
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No problem at all. The sponsor is paying the tab, and I see no issue with using it in a way that would draw some interest to their tournament. Some tour players seem to get butthurt over this kind of thing, but the guy is a very good golfer (albeit not tour quality) that respects the game and it won't be a circus.
Aggie369
AG
Hearing he will get one more invite as well during summer maybe...something like John Deer maybe Byron Nelson

He won't make a cut but I'll watch...i guess that's the whole point
The Lost
I don't think anyone should be mad about it. It's a tournament opposite of a wgc event that will already have over 100 in it. If you can't get into it as a border line pro deal with it, it's one spot, not 30 celebs and tony's decent by pro standards, it's not throwing me out there.

It's not like he got an invitation to the masters or an exclusive event. It's a pretty smart move and I'm sure one that any secondary tournament on a weekend with 2 events would try to do to get some pub. These are always overlooked.
_lefraud_
AG
No problem with it all.
Matsui
AG
Not a problem. The tournament can do as it wishes.
dallasiteinsa02
I would feel for the pros if they actually played every event and this took a spot.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The guys that play every week aren't really the ones that would need the sponsor's exemption. I have more sympathy for the sponsor who pays the bills to be able to choose a player who could draw interest to their tournament vs. a player that hasn't earned status and didn't otherwise qualify. You don't want to see sponsors giving the exemptions willy-nilly to where they make a mockery of the tournament or the game, but to give one to a big-name celebrity who is very serious about the game and has a helluva golf game, that's all good in my book.
jonj101
DannyDuberstein said:

The guys that play every week aren't really the ones that would need the sponsor's exemption. I have more sympathy for the sponsor who pays the bills to be able to choose a player who could draw interest to their tournament vs. a player that hasn't earned status and didn't otherwise qualify. You don't want to see sponsors giving the exemptions willy-nilly to where they make a mockery of the tournament or the game, but to give one to a big-name celebrity who is very serious about the game and has a helluva golf game, that's all good in my book.
Agreed - when Curry played in a Web event it actually worked out - even though he missed the cut it was still a respectable effort and drew a good amount of attention to the tournament. Romo getting a sponsor exemption won't be a terrible thing. Its not like sponsors are going to turn their event into another Pebble Beach pro am.
Yesterday
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

I would feel for the pros if they actually played every event and this took a spot.

I'd feel bad too but I don't think too many pro's are crying for us when we lose a sale or an investment goes under. Way of the world.
dc509
AG
It brings positive attention to the game. Therefore I think it's a good thing. I hope he finally qualifies for the US Open this summer.
birdman
Romo missed qualifying for the US Open by single stroke. It was a few years and few back injuries ago, but he's a terrific golfer.
CapCity12thMan
AG
"Romo missed qualifying for the US Open by single stroke. It was a few years and few back injuries ago, but he's a terrific golfer."

Wha? Don't think so. He's advanced to sectionals before but that's it
DannyDuberstein
AG
Correct. He's advanced to the sectional once, back in 2010 And at that sectional, he was way out of contention and ended up not finishing because bad weather delayed it for a few days until he had a Cowboy conflict. I think he may have made it to the 2005 sectional as an alternate but didnt get to play.

But anyone that can get past a local qualifier is a helluva golfer and I dont see an issue with this even though he wont contend or make the cut.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Think I read Speith has been helping him recently. Be interested to see how he shoots.
_lefraud_
AG
A few of my buddies went and watched him last year at the local qualifier at Split-Rail in Aledo. He was cruising right along until he sliced a driver into the water on #14 (I think) and made triple. That was pretty much the end of his day.
The Lost
well this weeks the week he's playing a tour event. Will he make the cut?
_lefraud_
AG
No.
98Ag99Grad
AG
His goal should be shoot better than Steph Curry did in his web event. Anything better than DFL is a win for him.
Quinn
AG
Is Smylie Kaufman in the field? If so, Romo won't finish last place.
JR Ewingford
He is even thru 10. Pretty impressive
98Ag99Grad
AG
Drained a 70' putt for birdie.
CapCity12thMan
AG
came back to earth

+4 thru 15
The Lost
Guy Boros made sure tony didn't finish in last by going +4 over the last 2.

+5 for Tony isn't a bad day 1 by normal human standards. And i guess the tourney succeeded by us seeing what happened on day 1
champagnepapi
Golf sucks without tiger
The Lost
champagnepapi said:

Golf sucks without tiger

Do you also not watch the nba without Jordan?
champagnepapi
The Lost said:

champagnepapi said:

Golf sucks without tiger

Take a joke much.
The Lost
champagnepapi said:

The Lost said:

champagnepapi said:

Golf sucks without tiger

Take a joke much.
didn't catch the fish
JCA1
AG
I'm looking forward to the "golf sucks without Romo" jokes next week.
bagger05
AG

Two shots ahead of last place.
ORAggieFan
Only one back of the trainwreck Bowditch.
Cedar09
Sponsor exemptions!
PJYoung
AG
Sponsor exemptions!
oneeyedag
Hope he shoots his QB rating today.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.