Square Strike Wedge

6,213 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gman-79
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So chipping is a huge problem in my current golf game. My driving is decent, my fairway is pretty solid, but when I get within 40 yards and off green it is awful.

I saw an ad for the square strike wedge before my round yesterday and ordered it figuring it is worth trying out since it has a 60 day money back guarantee.

Anyone try one of these yet?

https://www.squarestrikewedge.com/get/squarestrike-ggl/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=SSW-Search-RLSA-US&utm_content=sswr-text-02&gclid=CjwKCAiAnabTBRA6EiwAemvBd4yJA_n_kmNmSIw6se6OKHAMOomhqkh5qFKqKqRLa3Mu74mVUkpWnBoCjv0QAvD_BwE

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
powerbelly
AG
Whatever helps get the ball in the hole.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

You're damn right! Until I got divorced and had a ton of extra time to learn how to properly chip, I used a Cleveland Niblick (chipper). My chipping went from terrible to pretty good just by using that club. I created a thread on this board several years ago touting how helpful it was to guys who struggled with chipping/pitching.

If you have the time you should get a lesson (probably only need one or two) and learn to chip with wedges. Heck, I taught myself to chip just googling "how to chip a golf ball" and spending several hours using the tips I learned.
The Milkman
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

You're damn right! Until I got divorced and had a ton of extra time to learn how to properly chip, I used a Cleveland Niblick (chipper). My chipping went from terrible to pretty good just by using that club. I created a thread on this board several years ago touting how helpful it was to guys who struggled with chipping/pitching.

If you have the time you should get a lesson (probably only need one or two) and learn to chip with wedges. Heck, I taught myself to chip just googling "how to chip a golf ball" and spending several hours using the tips I learned.
You had the free time prior to the divorce? That seems backwards
93MarineHorn

Quote:

You had the free time prior to the divorce? That seems backwards
I didn't word that very well. Before I got divorced, I didn't have nearly as much time as I do now to learn to chip properly. The chipper I had was an effective work around.
Texmid
AG
KidDoc said:

So chipping is a huge problem in my current golf game. My driving is decent, my fairway is pretty solid, but when I get within 40 yards and off green it is awful.

I saw an ad for the square strike wedge before my round yesterday and ordered it figuring it is worth trying out since it has a 60 day money back guarantee.

Anyone try one of these yet?

https://www.squarestrikewedge.com/get/squarestrike-ggl/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=SSW-Search-RLSA-US&utm_content=sswr-text-02&gclid=CjwKCAiAnabTBRA6EiwAemvBd4yJA_n_kmNmSIw6se6OKHAMOomhqkh5qFKqKqRLa3Mu74mVUkpWnBoCjv0QAvD_BwE

Dr. S, I will give you some advice that will immensely help your short game around the greens. Think of you and your son in your yard playing catch with a football. Before you toss that ball what are you thinking about? For me, I am not really thinking about anything, other than looking at the spot I want to hit with that ball. Chipping is the exact same concept for me. Anywhere from 40 yards in I look at the flag, think of hitting the ball to that spot, then swing.

Don't get me wrong, there is some thought that goes into the shot. I inspect the lie. I look at the green to see break. How fast are the greens? Given my lie how well will the ball check? etc.

But once I am over that ball I take two little short practice swings to clear my head. Then, I address the ball, take one look at the flag, and let my brain decide how hard I need to swing as I am swinging.

I do the exact same thing for putts.

Hope this helps. Don't let your wife know your new secret for a few weeks. Come to the bar next time you are in town.
93MarineHorn
I agree with Texmid and use the same mental approach. However, if your technique is flawed you will still have issues with consistency which will undermine your confidence. The good thing about chippers like the Square Strike is they make it much easier to chip even if your technique is flawed. You can become very competent, very quickly with a chipper.
khaos288
AG
Here's the one I've seen more often than any other chipper.

https://www.golfdiscount.com/cleveland-smart-sole-2-0-c-wedge?hand=15127&shaft=15410&size=15178&gclid=CjwKCAiAnabTBRA6EiwAemvBd69FvwYuaAesX9h2usVzwLKi-JN7r35skq4dUMnq5UE8JWaXCIahWRoCA6wQAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^74144244137-device^c-plaid^87599271378-sku^75472-adType^PLA

it's a cleveland, and I've seen it a handful of times in peoples bags.
hoya-ag
AG
never play a money game against an old man with a chipper.
Texmid
AG
hoya-ag said:

never play a money game against an old man with a chipper.
Especially if the sole of that chipper is worn out.
birdman
Is this the club that I see advertised on Golf Channel about 100 times per day?
KidDoc
AG
birdman said:

Is this the club that I see advertised on Golf Channel about 100 times per day?
Yes very likely.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tursiops93
AG
Make sure that you accelerate through the shot. The biggest mistake I see people make in the short game is deceleration, followed by too much movement in their lower body.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Have a buddy that takes a huge backswing while putting, even short ones. Decelerates when striking the ball. Drives me nuts but he ain't asking for my input, so...
Fredd
AG
I've been there. My solution was to try and hit to an approach distance that I had more confidence.

For example, on par 5 with 280 out, instead of hitting it as far as I can I lay up to 125. Feels less manly but my scorecard always looks better.
KidDoc
AG
It took two weeks to get the dang thing and then we had bad weather in Aggieland for a while so I finally got a chance to play with it today after practicing in the back yard with a pitch net. It is a very different swing with using a shoulder based putting swing but it dramatically improved my short game today. No more launching the ball over the green multiple times and I actually hit the pin after launching it over a bunker from about 20 yards. Made two pars (on 3 & 5) and mostly stayed with my handicap for other holes. (34ish- we are pretty loose and easy with scoring still).

I also used it a few times in green bunkers and it worked well for that too.

For people like me that really struggle with the sub 40 yard game it may be worth trying it out. My wife likes it too and wants one for her bag.
raidernarizona
I've got an Odyssey Tank in great condition for sale if anyone is interested...

I'd also suggest not being afraid to use your 8 iron around the green. Play it off your back foot, deloft the club, and use your putting stroke. Lot easier for me to get the ball towards the hole and a lot harder to chunk one.
khaos288
AG
What loft is the wedge?

I'd be curious if you used a similar lofted iron and the same stroke if you had similar results.

A lot of people don't realize how effective an 8/7 iron is around the green. I missed an eagle chip from 50 feet today with my 7 iron by an inch. Always feels good to put a putting stroke on a club and know you're going to be pretty damn on target.
KidDoc
AG
khaos288 said:

What loft is the wedge?

I'd be curious if you used a similar lofted iron and the same stroke if you had similar results.

A lot of people don't realize how effective an 8/7 iron is around the green. I missed an eagle chip from 50 feet today with my 7 iron by an inch. Always feels good to put a putting stroke on a club and know you're going to be pretty damn on target.
It's 45". You may be able to get the same result from an 8 iron but with a new player the extra weight on the end of the club really helps to keep it straight and true.
BESCo91
AG
KidDoc said:

khaos288 said:

(1) A lot of people don't realize how effective an 8/7 iron is around the green.
(2) You may be able to get the same result from an 8 iron but with a new player the extra weight on the end of the club really helps to keep it straight and true.
(1) Yep. I use an 8 iron around the green a lot. Yesterday I thought I would get fancy and use my 60* wedge. Two chili dippers in a row. So pissed off, I then 3 putted. So very stupid of me.

(2) I can certainly understand how the extra weight would feel nice. If your chipping has improved, then BAM, it's a winner!
gman-79
AG
I use my 8 iron(7 iron if uphill) often from 40 yards in and once you get used to it, it becomes a solid choice. As stated before you pick you landing spot and I visualize an underhanded toss then hit hoping my brain will dial it in. The one caveat to this method is if it is really wet around the greens(we are already over 10 inches this year), it can be really frustrating.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.