2018 golf goals

12,921 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BreNayPop
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you decide you want to check it out, shoot me a message. It might be more affordable than you think.
Zjones920
I want to try and qualify for the State Am. I really need to start getting my game into better shape soon, but I'm hoping it will be pretty easy to shake off the rust that has developed over the last month or so.
CaveDwellinAg
AG
Got my first lesson today. Guy had me hitting it straight in about 6 minutes... excellent!
mm98
AG
mm98 said:

mm98 said:

Get serious and take essons
Improve my chipping game
Break 100 before June 30th and 95 by 12/31st.

One goal down. Shot a 96 last Sundayy. Was craptastic on the first five holes scoring 6,8,8,8,6. Finished +9 on the last 13 holes with 1 birdie and 5 pars.

Second goal down...signed up for lessons today. My swing apparently isn't as bad as I thought but my stance and address were terrible.
khaos288
AG
1/5 break 80 5 times done. Almost hit par on 9 but 3 putted for two bogies, and only one bird.
Yesterday
AG
My goal was to break 80 in a US Mid Am qualifier but I learned one of the qualifying sites is my home course so now my goal is to qualify for it.
La Fours
AG
Making some good progress on my goals. Gaining more confidence off the tee with my 3w.

Played this morning and shot 105. Shot 52 front 53 back. Had 5 straight holes with a 6 on the back. Par 3's my problem was off the tee. The rest my problems were my approach shots. I would hit a good drive into the fairway and then usually hit my second fat.

I took off for spring break so I plan to play at least 2 more rounds this week.
AggieIce
AG
Win my flight in one of the GolfWeek Amateur Tour tournaments

and/or

Qualify for the Hilton Head Finale
Cromagnum
AG
Ideal goal: break 100.
Realistic goal: Golf more than once a month.
The Shank Ag
My goals are the same as they've always been

Grip it and rip it
Drink just enough to calm the nerves, not so much that I'm going for every impossible shot

And I'm succeeding. I get in trouble when I try to lay back on the tee shots because my distance is the only redeeming part of my game (putting on occasion). I've learned it's better to be 325 long and off the fairway 15 yards than 270 and off the fairway 5 yards.
khaos288
AG
khaos288 said:

Something like this. A couple are the same from last year but it's about consistency

Check off number 2. Hit birdie on 10, and 18 today.
Zjones920
Good Luck. I signed up for the State Am at DAC on 4/10.. shot 77 at oakmont Saturday having not played since before Christmas.. I'm hoping I can turn the game around.
Yesterday
AG
Zjones920 said:

Good Luck. I signed up for the State Am at DAC on 4/10.. shot 77 at oakmont Saturday having not played since before Christmas.. I'm hoping I can turn the game around.

Definitely need it. Had the same goal last year and would have done it but had a crazy triple bogey that lead to an 81. Playing tournament golf is awesome.
mm98
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Grip it and rip it
Drink just enough to calm the nerves, not so much that I'm going for every impossible shot

And I'm succeeding. I get in trouble when I try to lay back on the tee shots because my distance is the only redeeming part of my game (putting on occasion). I've learned it's better to be 325 long and off the fairway 15 yards than 270 and off the fairway 5 yards.

Username checks out...
Zjones920
It's been a long time since I've played true competitive golf. I'm sure there will be substantial nerves on the first couple of shots, but I am excited to see if my game can hold up
KidDoc
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Grip it and rip it

It depends on the hole. Sometimes 15 off the fairway is water or deep rough or trees. That is why golf is so fun!

Other times if I hit my tee shot great it is disaster and hitting a mid fairway hazard that I wouldn't reach with my typical shot. Sometimes bad shots end up great and good shots end up bad. Great game!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
khaos288
AG
Part way done with number one. Checked off par on 9. On the way to single digit cap as well. Felt like the best golf I've ever played. The double was bc my range finder caught the hill behind the pin. I hit a perfect stroke and it flew over the pin and landed on top of the hill to roll down the wrong side.

bagger05
AG
That's some fine golf. Great round.
khaos288
AG
Thanks my man! I actually edited my goals post. I hit 13 GIRs so that checks another box.
KidDoc
AG
Got a 100 today at Briarcrest with my typical mulligans. Kind of a weird round for me with no pars but no blow up holes either just lots of single and double bogies. My drive improved big time on the back nine with 22% fairway on front and 67% on back so very close to my goal of breaking 100 for the year already.Not great but not getting worse!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
E
AG
After playing about once a year since 2011, I recently got the golf bug bad again. Always been a bogey golfer and want to get much better. Finally signed up for lessons, fittings, etc.

1. Break 85
2. Consistently hit in low 80's by end of year
3. Have average putts less then 2 (I have a bad 3-putt problem)
4. Raise my GIR % (due to short game)
khaos288
AG
Missed the putt on 9 today to shoot under on the front 9 and misses the green on 18 with a 1 putt yesterday for the same record.

Hit my first par 4 eagle today. 61 yards out after a screaming drive.

Just one goal left!

khaos288
AG
bump
AggieDruggist89
AG
I see a lot of results goals.

I have process goals.

1. Stretch daily for at least 5 minutes. Sometimes stretch morning and night.

2. Hit 100 chips daily, around the house, office, or practice green. On the practice green, 10, 20, 30 yard chips and pitches.

3. Make 100 slow full backswing per day.

4. On the range, practice tempo. Consider using a metronome.

5. Practice 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 yard shots.

6. Buy up Costco K-Sig 4 piece balls whenever available.

7. Practice making 5 foot putts.

8. At least 50 balls out of the practice bunker weekly.

CaveDwellinAg
AG
CaveDwellinAg said:

Starting and goal status in that order, when applicable.

Skills:
Eliminate laser beam pull to L that gets me in so much trouble IMPROVING
Turn good drive into good hole (eliminate invariably bad second shot after good drive) IMPROVING
Improve ball striking - divot after ball IMPROVING
Regain distance if not compromising accuracy- get 7i back to 170 yds after dropping to 155 late 2017 DONE
Draw or fade on command with driver and long irons
For near edge of green over sand- flop shot perhaps?working with club pro - going well
Improve speed on downhill putts

Scoring and stats:
Index: 19.8 to <15 (DOWN TO 17.1)
Fairways: 20 round avg 32% to >45% (20 and 10 rounds 40%, 5 rounds 46%)
GIR: 20 rd avg 13.1% to >25% (10: 20%, 5: 26%)

Round:
Score: 85 to 82 (85, twice more in last 3 rounds)
Fairways: 50% to 60% DONE (84.6%)
GIR: 33% to 45% (7 of 18, 38%)
3 Putt: 1 to 0 DONE
Play one GD round without hitting into water at Prairie Lakes in Grand Prairie (somebody kill me please)
Drive green on a par 4

Other:
Play better under pressure of who I'm playing with

Planning to get some golf lessons to help me achieve this goals. Update: have taken 3 lessons.
khaos288
AG
That'll do it boys.

I'll pick em back up next year.

Two birdies and one bogie on the front nine at west ridge

BreNayPop
AG
Congrats!

I need to work on my 20-120 yd game

Strength training has made a huge difference. Im driving the ball great, usually 280-320 and can turn it both ways. Irons are all solid (got upset cuz i pured a 7 iron over a green with back pin lazered at 199). Putting has improved dramatically.

But still high single digit handicap (8) because i dont have a 100 yarf freakin shot. Its in my head bad. Gonna work on it and get that handicap down low.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.