2018 golf goals

12,894 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BreNayPop
girlgolfer12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's almost a new year, let's set some golf goals!

My goals:
Break par
3 rounds in a row with no 3 putts
Average 28 putts around
Under par on par 3's for a round
Under par on par 4's for a round
Under par on par 5's for a round
Become a better bunker player
No double bogeys back to back rounds
Putt 15 minutes before every round
Hit 12 of 18 GIRs in back to back rounds

Icecream_Ag
S
Play more golf
khaos288
AG
Something like this. A couple are the same from last year but it's about consistency

shaynew1
AG
- Work seriously and consistently on golf flexibility and endurance

- win more skins and bets than I spend on green fees and bets

I'm reluctant to add one about putting because part of me has given up.
jgh85Ag
AG
10 index or better. Currently 13 down from 21 this time last year.
Break 80.
Birdie #2 @ Willow Springs. (600 yard par 5)
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
shaynew1 said:

If you have a strategy for this, please share...

One of the best/worst things about golf: it's all relative. For you guys thinking you'll be happy if you can just break 100/90/80, I've got sad news for you... Essentially, it's always the same. There's always another hoop to jump through. Today, you're happy to break 90. Tomorrow, you're sick about shooting >89.

Is this the F Golf thread?
shaynew1
AG
My hang up has always been lower body/hip flexor mobility. So I'm just trying to be more diligent about going to the gym and focusing on a few different lifts/stretches/movements that were always just secondary before. And foam rolling and lacrosse balling.

I think the endurance part for me personally will mostly take care of itself with regular gym activity and better eating. It's not that I get tired, I just lose one notch of mental focus and do something stupid around number 16.
agsalaska
AG
My goal is still 18 holes without a bogey. It has beeen a long long time since ive done it. Doesn't help that I play a relatively hard course. Very difficult to do.

I had a sub 76 stroke average in 40 rounds at Rio Secco in Vegas in 2011. Stroke average this year is over 77 at Wildflower in freaking Temple. Want a sub 76 stroke average. I was there for years and could do it again. I'm feeling better about next yeR.
shaynew1
AG
Ya but the wind at Wildflower is no joke
agsalaska
AG
shaynew1 said:

Ya but the wind at Wildflower is no joke

Especially when you show up. It knows you are coming.
shaynew1
AG
You must have me confused w another ag...I don't think I've played at Wildflower since the 2011 November two man thing.

But I do cuss the wind wherever I'm enjoying it at.
agsalaska
AG
Oh must be. We had a new aggie member join and every time he shows up it blows 30. Wasnt paying attention and Thought you were him.

Wildflower is not particularly easy though, especially in a strong south wind.
shaynew1
AG
Ah yes, fond memories of sustained 30mph days out there.
shaynew1
AG
The closest course to me is Cottonwood in Waco, so that's where I get to enjoy the wind.
agsalaska
AG
That's an even bigger ***** in the wind.

Good track.
DadAG10
Sooper Jeenyus said:

shaynew1 said:

If you have a strategy for this, please share...

Went to see Chris for 10 1-hour sessions last winter. If not near for you, find a trainer for a while. Chris also offers a cd with programs.

http://chrisownbey.com/

Dropped index 3 strokes shortly thereafter.

It's an ongoing process and difficult to continue working out when there's daylight out and I would rather be on the course.
schwabbin
AG
Break 80
No 3 putts
Larry S Ross
AG
I'm a 19 handicapper. Can't get thru a round w o several 3 putts and at least one blow up hole(8 or 9). If I could cut those two things out I w be happy for 2018.
KidDoc
AG
Break the 100 barrier
Fewer mulligans
Play in a tournament/scramble

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
khaos288
AG
KidDoc said:

Break the 100 barrier
Fewer mulligans
Play in a tournament/scramble

I like these goals.
watty
AG
agsalaska said:

My goal is still 18 holes without a bogey. It has beeen a long long time since ive done it. Doesn't help that I play a relatively hard course. Very difficult to do.

I had a sub 76 stroke average in 40 rounds at Rio Secco in Vegas in 2011. Stroke average this year is over 77 at Wildflower in freaking Temple. Want a sub 76 stroke average. I was there for years and could do it again. I'm feeling better about next yeR.

I've said it elsewhere but that illustrates perfectly why I just don't like Wildflower. It's hard, but not in a fun way and not because of good design. It's not "fun hard" IMO, it's just annoying. Stupid greens with way too much tilt and a narrow, firm course the takes your ball into trouble with the slightest mis-hit. Compare it to a course like Rio Secco that is also hard, but it's hard because it's such a quality course.
khaos288
AG
watty said:

agsalaska said:

I've said it elsewhere but that illustrates perfectly why I just don't like Wildflower. It's hard, but not in a fun way and not because of good design. It's not "fun hard" IMO, it's just annoying. Stupid greens with way too much tilt and a narrow, firm course the takes your ball into trouble with the slightest mi***** Compare it to a course like Rio Secco that is also hard, but it's hard because it's such a quality course.
You belton area guys play stonetree ever? From the tips that course seemed "fun hard" to me. I played it over thanksgiving.
watty
AG
I never have. I've been here for almost 9 years and somehow I've never played out there. I need to.
agsalaska
AG
I agree with a lot of that. But I think the new greens changed things for me. That and the new bunkers. They have also taken out about 40 trees. It's a much better course today than it was 3 years ago when I first played it.

There are, to your point, some very awkward shots out there starting with the first tee shot. And there is trouble everywhere. But now that it has new greens things are pretty good.

khaos288
AG
watty said:

I never have. I've been here for almost 9 years and somehow I've never played out there. I need to.
Give it a shot. I was super impressed by the course. seems like no one in the area has a design like that.
watty
AG
That's good to hear. Probably been two years since I played it.
khaos288
AG
agsalaska said:

I agree with a lot of that. But I think the new greens changed things for me. That and the new bunkers. They have also taken out about 40 trees. It's a much better course today than it was 3 years ago when I first played it.

There are, to your point, some very awkward shots out there starting with the first tee shot. And there is trouble everywhere. But now that it has new greens things are pretty good.

The first tee shot from the tips is a BEAST. If you don't hit a long carry draw...but not too drawy, you're effed.
agsalaska
AG
Say when
watty
AG
I have been wanting to play with you ever since you moved here. One of these days I will beg my way into a round with you. Having two little kids and stuff like that has drastically cut my golf down. I think I played maybe two rounds this year.
Boo Weekley
I just want to break 80. I have been on track to do it but couldn't finish before sun down. I've shot 37 on the front 9 before. I know I CAN do it...I just hope I will eventually.
HouAggie
AG
Started to keep stats again very recently, so this should be easy for me to look back and evaluate.

Break 70 at least twice
Hit >45% fairways
Hit >55% greens
Average >2 birdies per round
Average <1 double bogey+ per round

The fairways number will be the toughest, I think.
justcallmeharry
S
Start playing again. I have 10 days left to play my first round of 2017.
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
Larry S Ross
AG
Larry S Ross said:

I'm a 19 handicapper. Can't get thru a round w o several 3 putts and at least one blow up hole(8 or 9). If I could cut those two things out I w be happy for 2018.

Darn. Played today. 45 on front. No 3 putts.
Back nine hanging in until 15. Went quad, triple, double, par for a 96. Damn.
Mr.Bond
AG
Going to be tough with my two young kids but I want to spend at least 2 hours a week at the range and break par. Closest I've ever been is 73, at Golf Club of Houston
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

shaynew1
AG
Anyone planning to play or try and qualify for anything this year?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.