Buying Masters Tickets (seeking advice)

1,024 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schwabbin
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can anyone give me tips on this?

Wanting to take my dad this year. Tired of waiting to get selected so will have to buy. Are the main stream websites the only route/the best route?

Should I go to a practice round or a real round? I have heard that their are advantages to both. But leaning towards going to an actual round.

Do I fly into Atlanta?

thanks for any advice you can give me.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Personally prefer the practice round if buying after-market:
1) Cheaper.
2) More relaxed and you can bring a camera (no phones any day, but regular cameras allowed for practice rounds). Just a fun, relaxed atmosphere. Guys skipping balls across 16, interacting with crowd, etc.

I think Tuesday is the best day - all players on the regular course (some skip Monday). Some like Wednesday due to the par 3 tournament, but it's more expensive after-market (close to a regular round day) and players generally aren't playing the regular course.

The two main options for going are flying into Atlanta or Columbia, SC. We went to Atlanta and only stayed in Augusta for the night before we were attending the tournament. Stayed in Atlanta the night before and night after attending.
Lonestarandi
AG
Went last year for my dad's 70th. Used a hospitality club... Tried to fly into Atlanta until the storms closed the airport and messed Delta up for days so we ended up driving. Air BnB'd a house. Spent a lot of $ for the Saturday tickets and hospitality club (but had a phenomenal experience).

Happy to share which club and more info if you're interested in going that route...
booradley
AG
couple of thoughts....

charlotte is a great option. I've changed in the last few years from flying to Atlanta to charlotte. same distance, but much easier airport to deal with and since US Air merged with AA, there's plenty of flights...

Columbia is always an additional flight.

use your corporate rental car rate, as prices spike for masters week...

tournament rounds are preferred, but practice rounds are cheaper...different experiences...
if you can only go to a practice round, go...
but in my opinion, its more fun and interesting to see players playing for their score.

I'd wait until after Christmas and then start bidding like crazy on ebay.

I'd stay away from the brokers.

sunday rounds are the cheapest, as most people want to watch at home so they can see everything.

all the volunteers (marshals, grounds, information, scoring) will get their tickets in late march, so there will be more supply.

but prices are generally high right before Christmas and then again in late feb, march.

i'll post my annual tip sheet in march.

net is tickets are high but get it done. I'm still amazed by the golf nuts I know who've never been because they're not willing to pay the price...

more to come in march...
gillom
AG
We stayed in Charleston for a few days before, drove to Augusta and back for our practice round. Highly recommend Charleston. Great food and night life. 3 hour drive to Augusta.
Aggie369
AG
We flew into Charleston, stayed and played a few kiawah courses, drove to Columbia, then drove from Columbia to Augusta it's like an hour and 10 minutes
schwabbin
AG
Tuesday practice round is the best if you've never been. Most players play 18. It's more relaxed and less crowded than the weeekend. They shut the course down early on Wednesday for the par 3 contest.
Also, there is a volunteer that posts a great guide on here each year that you'll want to check out before you go. 16 is a good spot for chairs but you could spend the entire day on your feet if you've never been out there. I know I did.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.