Bryan Municipal to close and move to Phillips Event Center (Briarcrest)

3,241 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by KidDoc
agfan2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Bryan-City-Council-approves-donation-of-land-for-new-municipal-golf-course-463780613.html

Quote:

The Bryan City Council is moving forward with its plans to relocate its struggling municipal golf course, thanks to a donation from a local developer.

On Tuesday, the council voted 6-1 to officially accept the donation of the Briarcrest Golf Course at the Phillips Event Center. Its owner, Wallace Phillips, says the donation is a way to give back to the community.

Councilman Mike Sutherland voted against the idea.

The gift will allow the city to move the Travis B. Bryan Municipal Golf Course from its current location on West Villa Maria to the Phillips Event Center. The goal is to complete the move by January 2018.

It also clears the path for the city to develop a proposed 'super park' at the current location of the municipal city park.

Right now, the city of Bryan is losing money on the municipal golf course at its current location. The hope is moving it will help bring in more golfers, and more revenue for the city.

The following is a news release issued Tuesday night by the City of Bryan:

With an appraised value of $4.849 million, Wallace Phillips has formally donated the 107-acre Phillips Event Center Golf Course located on Briarcrest Drive to the City of Bryan.

City Council officially accepted the donation on December 12, 2017, and will rename the new municipal golf course "City Course at the Phillips Event Center."

For the short-term, Mr. Phillips will continue to manage the golf course, and in addition, the City will lease approximately 6,000 square feet of building space at the Phillips Event Center to provide a Senior Center for special activities and programs.

Furthermore, the City and donor will reach an agreement for the purchase of the large practice green and driving range located on the Clubhouse property as well as a modification to the easement that includes the existing small practice green. The City will also have the first right of refusal for the Clubhouse property, which includes the golf Pro Shop, Phillips Event Center, pool facility, and other amenities, should the donor decide to sell this portion of the property.

Bryan City Council previously approved golf rates for the existing municipal golf course on April 14, 2015. This same rate structure will carry forward to the new City Course at the Phillips Event Center, including honoring existing memberships. The City intends to use profits from the golf course to fund capital projects to improve the City Course at the Phillips Event Center and other parks improvements.

With the acceptance of this donation, the City also announces the conceptual plan for a regional park at the site of the existing municipal golf course featuring amenities suitable for youth and adult sports and recreational activities with an inclusive playground.

The conceptual plan includes other amenities such as facilities for pickleball, pavilions, trails, and an amphitheater. This state-of-the-art park will address a long-identified shortage of sports and athletic venues and practice facilities within the City of Bryan. The conceptual plan is included below.

Curious what y'all think. I guess it's the right move if it was losing money every year, but it's just going to make Phillips Event Center and A&M more crowded IMO.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I always think it's a shame to see a course close, even if it's a dump like Bryan Muni. And this super park idea sounds like a massive bag of fail. But it sounds like the course shutting down was inevitable.
Wildcat
AG
Is Briarcrest Country Club no more?

03_Aggie
Wildcat said:

Is Briarcrest Country Club no more?

Hasn't been for a while.
JarAG2007
AG
I think it's a win for the citizens of Bryan. If you think about it, the rates are locked in according to the press release, therefore, the muni rates will now apply to a better course. There will now be a driving range and putting green as part of the muni course now as well. I also like the bar, outside area with firepits and tvs, a golf simulator, and food served at Phillips event center. Even though none of the bar or anything will be owned by the City it is still nice because you get the cheaper rates which allows more money for the good beer and food.

In regards to the old muni course site I think its also a win. The super park will bring in more business, tournaments, etc for the community. Bryan is hurting for good fields in the City limits and an area like this. To me it is a win win for everyone, but that is just my personal opinion.
Wildcat
AG
That's news to me, but I've been away almost 25 years.
Famous Shoes
AG
I like whats going on, hopefully the city of Bryan will treat the park the same way CS does at Veterans Park if they do it will be a good thing for them. As far as the Muni, I've had a lot of fun there when I was in school in the late 80's but it's really not much of a course, never really was. Haven't played Briarcrest in well over a year and it was it pretty bad shape then, hopefully Bryan can find some money to shape the place up some, I'd play there if they would. The Campus course condition is WAY ahead of any public course in the area. Although Pecan lakes has made some real improvements lately.
I agree that courses will get busier due to Muni closing but the cost to play at campus can be as much as double vs. Muni, depending on how and when you play or book your tee time.
KidDoc
AG
Phillips/Briarcrest is my favorite course in town and it was in good shape when I played it last month. I was actually about to purchase a membership for $225/month for my wife & myself. I'm hoping it will be even cheaper than that already cheap rate since the good citizens of Bryan will now be helping to fund my habit!

The Quarry bar & grill there is pretty awesome too. Great burgers and $2 craft beer drafts during happy hour!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cen-Tex
AG
A lot of good memories from the course. Back in college, I worked for the City of Bryan and our crew built a maintenance bridge across a small creek near hole #1. It was constructed using 2 telephone poles and 2x6 boards. No prints or engineering. We drove a city dump truck across it to ensure it was strong enough. We also repainted the swimming pool near the pro shop. The course maint. supt. was a guy with a last name of Walker. In later years, I always enjoyed the Industrial Fire School instructors golf tournament held there each year. Was over-served several times. Always worried about hooking my drives into oncoming traffic on Villa Maria. The roughs were pretty bad and I never liked the short par 3 (hole #2 or 3?)
Corporal Punishment
AG
I posted on this forum a recent murder that took place behind hole 3 at the Muni. I fear this new park will give the dregs of society even more cover to turn tricks, run drugs, and shoot each other. It IS still largely a ****hole around there after all.

For those of us that play both the Muni and Briarcrest, it's one less course for us to play. On the other hand, I'll dig the cheap rates at the new Muni. The increased golf traffic will likely be a total buzzkill though.
Thisguy1
That location in town is a ****hole and you're going to put a kid's park there? We had to keep the local PD dispatch number on the board in the maintenance shop when we night watered because of the activity out there. People walking across in the pitch dark, gun shots, etc..

Wonder if the arsenic rears it's head when they start moving dirt around there?
CCMD
AG
Former member of Briarcrest here. It's a shame how much the course has gone downhill during the Phillip's regime. I can't see the City of Bryan infusing any money to make it better. My guess is that Bryan Muni attracted more beginners and less "accurate" golfers. They are going to frustrated by the tight fairways, numerous trees, and homes in close proximity to the fairways. Homeowners on the boundary of Briarcrest better put the glass repair businesses on speed-dial. I'd bet the new Muni closes within five years.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Munis rarely close..they can be subsidized with your tax dollars.
AgDotCom
My objection is that the citizens of Bryan objected to closing Muni not once, but at least twice.

The most recent vote came not long ago when this very Briarcrest swap was being discussed.

I also don't buy in to the "losing money" excuse. If you're going to go that route, all city parks "lose" money. They're all subsidized by taxes and don't produce sufficient revenue to operate in the black on their own.
akag77
AG
ok,so Phillips buys Briarcrest for 1.5 million then donates the land the golf course is on to the city at a value of 4,5 million . He keeps all the money making part of the event center then gets paid to use the event center as a Senior center. Then the city gets Briarcrest golf course that was not making money off the golf to begin with. Anybody ask what the profit margin was on Phillips golf course was? Anybody do a cost analysis of what the profit is from all of Bryans parks,dog parks, ball fields and swimming pools is? I bet they are are all losing money. How much money is the library making? What a boondoggle.Why was there a statement that the new profits from the new muny course would go back into the course AND parks. The mayor states that the deal is a win win for theWORLD, then arrogantly calls out anybody who criticizes the plan. Who is going to pay to build the ball fields in a poorly drained piece of property full of arsenic, and in a high crime area. Losing 50,000$ a year on a golf course is nothing compared to what will be spent on new ball parks. I can't believe there isn't another piece of better property that the city could purchase for safe ball fields. The mayor and city council apparently are mathmatically challenged or have another agenda in mind.
'
, Unbelievable win win for THE WORLD!!
19AG84
AG
I played golf with my buddies back in the early eighties on that course. We liked it because we could drink beer. I drive by there now and go....condo's would be really nice there. I know they are going to convert the area to a park, but the city could really profit by selling/developing the area.
CapCityAg89
AG
My first golf ever was on Bryan Muni with my Grandfather. For that reason, I'm sad to see it go. BUT, it was always a goat ranch, so the golf will be better.

Briarcrest was pretty snooty back in the 70s and 80s. I had friends that were members (we joined for about a month in about 78 or 79 and Dad promptly quit because of their racial policies) and it was convenient to eat there for lunch.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Believe 3 was the short one.
tgivaughn
AG
Major Super Park investment monies
instead of minor increase in Muni Golf standards & improvements, even fees?

Golf course losses vs. losses from baseball, tennis, et al.?

Muddy waters or maybe I need new glasses.

Caveat to local golf courses
don't begin upgrades like cart paths & carts, even landscaping
like TAMU and Bryan Muni
else you will be dozed.
Sigh
IMHO and am sticking to it
KidDoc
AG
Wife and I played the front 9 of the new muni today and it was in really good shape for winter. Greens were almost too fast at times.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.