Nike patents glasses to help golfers improve their game

2,020 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1208HawkTree
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5170741/Nike-patent-AR-glasses-golfers-video-game-stats.html
Quote:

Golfers may soon be able to get real-time stats about their game with an augmented reality headset from Nike.

The company has filed a patent for a headset which could be worn by the player to track the speed, trajectory and spin of a ball.

It could be the first technology of its kind that allows golfers to get real-time analysis of every aspect of their game, including how far the ball is carried to how long it spends in the air.

Quote:

The patent details an 'electronic tracking system with heads up display'.

It was submitted to WIPO (World International Property Organization) on 15th August and was published last week.

The images filed with the patent suggest the AR-enabled glasses can not only track the ball but also provide suggestions for which club is best suited to specific shots.

Using data on the golf course, wearers could also better assess the layout of the terrain, writes Android Headlines.

If the patent comes to fruition, it could provide statistics that would be displayed in real-time, similar to Google Glass.

Similar to a having a caddy, the technology could provide information that lets the golfer play to their strengths.

It would also work alongside a smart ball to track several factors about the shot after it is hit
Quote:

Companies like Nike often file for patents such as this one without going ahead with the plans.

However, if the company decides to develop the product it could change the landscape of golf courses forever.

Nike is not the only company turning to technology to improve player's swing.

Last year it was revealed golf club brands were pioneering materials and technologies tested on the International Space Station (ISS) to develop their latest clubs.

The display would show details like distance to pin and assess the risk of the shot with each club. The patent drawings also appear to show a detailed layout of the green

I thought someone on this forum might find this interesting
EMY92
AG
The putter is already on the market:

ProgN
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the diagram.
Yesterday
AG
Good lord. That would give me vertigo.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, i was just thinking the other day how i didn't have enough thoughts swimming around in my head during my swing and game in general.
14TheRoad
AG
Holy balls, is that RAM staff bag in caddyshack? I have the same bag. Found it in a garage sale a couple years ago and thought it was cool because my initials are RAM and the bag is a deep red maroonish and white leather with the maroon part being alligator.

Oh, the glasses are cool also. I would think it would be pretty tough to squeeze all that tech into a pair of sunglasses but the concept is cool.
jj9000
AG
Look closer at the Caddyshack pic...past the putter...in the background.
Ag_07
AG
I thought Nike was getting out of the golf gear market and sticking only to apparel?
Pahdz
You wear the glasses?
jgh85Ag
AG
I don't need glasses. Give me 6 shiner bocks and I am Arnold F'n Palmer.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Poot
Wang taking a picture. Classic
1208HawkTree
AG
I remember when they tried to do the tinted contacts years ago. I got a couple of trial pairs of the golf specific lenses and they worked, but only in full sunlight, all 18 holes. I have blue eyes and wear sunglasses virtually anytime I am outdoors, and within 10 minutes of sunset or if it became overcast at all, the lenses were too dark. I did like how they made me look like one of the freaks from True Blood, though. Scared the crap out of people.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.