Gotta brag just a little

1,991 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Wildcat
Wildcat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From her first "lesson" at a Saturday morning junior clinic...

to her final tournament last fall...

to a scholarship offer for Christmas.

It's only a small school, but they have a great academic program for what she wants to pursue and she gets to play the game she's grown to love (and hate like the rest of us) throughout college.

Junior has a couple more seasons of HS golf. The bar is considerably higher for the boys. so we will have to see if that opportunity arises.
Yesterday
AG
Wow. How cool is that? My daughter will be 4 in January and this summer we're going to ramp up her golf outings(she always asks to play with me). I can't wait to go on this journey. Thanks for sharing.
Wildcat
AG
It was awesome, and I hardly ever missed a competitive round.

There were some low points. Her first HS tournament she shot something like 120. Lots of tears. She missed making the state tournament senior year by a stroke (more tears)...and I thought we were done with competitive golf. But time heals all wounds and she decided to take the offer.

It's great time with both kids. Enjoy it dude. It will go fast.
_lefraud_
AG
So awesome, congrats.

My daughter loves "playing golf" around the house, which consists of her taking a whack at any ball she sees. She turns 3 in February.
14TheRoad
AG
That is awesome, congrats to you and her. I've got two girls,10 and 7 that both play golf in the PGA junior league program. I'm hoping that they continue on and really develop a deep love for the game.

Watching them play and hit good shots is incredibly rewarding as a dad. I can't imagine how proud you must be and the good times had along the way.
Famous Shoes
AG
Very Nice!!!
jja79
AG
Congratulations. My youngest son is 14 and has played with me for years. Every weekend I see dads playing with other dads and very few with their kids. Don't miss out.
93MarineHorn
Congrats and I'm very jealous. Neither of my boys took any interest in golf.
Boo Weekley
93MarineHorn said:

One of the biggest regrets of my life is turning down many invitations from my dad growing up. I thought golf was lame as hell and the few times I agreed to go I'd give up after a couple horrendous shots and it further solidified my dislike of the game. He tried to teach me patience but I wasn't havin it. Fell in love with it in my mid to late 20's and have been a full blown addict since hitting my first few straight shots.

Would give anything to go back knowing what I know now. Not only would I probably be much better at it, but would have been so many great times with my dad.
LHIOB
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Wow. How cool is that? My daughter will be 4 in January and this summer we're going to ramp up her golf outings(she always asks to play with me). I can't wait to go on this journey. Thanks for sharing.

Im in the same boat with a soon to be 4 year old daughter. She doesnt ask to play yet but she enjoys watching it with me which is fun. Baby steps...
agsalaska
AG
I wish my daughter showed interest. She is in third grade and is the tallest girl in her grade. She is athletic and could hit the ball a mile if she wanted to. But she just doesn't have any interest. She wants to swim and is really, really fast in the pool.

My son is in Kindergarten and shot a 53 on 9 holes from about 1000 yards the other day. And he took a 9 on one hole. But to him baseball is God's gift to little boys. IF he had it his way he would quit school and play baseball all day every day. Golf still has a shot though. He always wants to go when I do.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

Quote:

93MarineHorn said:
One of the biggest regrets of my life is turning down many invitations from my dad growing up. I thought golf was lame as hell and the few times I agreed to go I'd give up after a couple horrendous shots and it further solidified my dislike of the game. He tried to teach me patience but I wasn't havin it. Fell in love with it in my mid to late 20's and have been a full blown addict since hitting my first few straight shots.

Would give anything to go back knowing what I know now. Not only would I probably be much better at it, but would have been so many great times with my dad.

Thx, Boo. This gives me a little hope that one of them will come to like golf someday. My boys (now 19 & 25) are pretty much like you were. They think golf is lame. The 19 yr old has at least tried it a few times, so there is hope.
CapCity12thMan
AG
My oldest (10) has done PGA Jr. League the past two seasons. His on-course awareness and rule following has really come along. It's fun watching him. His scores are also improving. The PGA Jr. League is a great program and gets them introduced to competition, match-play in a team format. They do 2-person teams, scramble format so that takes some pressure off for sure. Each 3 hole is worth a point, and each 9 hole match is worth 3 points. so each 2-person team can win 3 pts for the team. They develop analytical skills with each other as they talk about shots, the holes, etc. I would recommend it for any kid interested.

His skills are at a point to where I got him in his first STPGA event this past month. 5-hole division for 9-10 yr olds. He shot 29. Total yds on those holes ~800. He won but only had to beat one other kid, but you would have thought he won the Masters by his reaction. Other tournaments will have more kids in them for sure but I couldn't ask for a better confidence boost at this point in his game.

Contrast that with the kid in his Fall school tournament who shot -4 for 9 holes as a 6th grader...we gotta lot of work to do.
gman-79
AG
When I was 16, a HS classmate suggested we go play golf at a local course. I told him that sounded boring and that was when he informed me that they would sell beer to anyone at that course. I have been hooked every since.
19AG84
AG
Congratulations. That is awesome!!!
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Awesome. Congrats Dad!!
CapCityAg89
AG
What kind of handicap does she carry? My youngest (10) is the "golfer" (mainly finding cool tees she does art with on the tee box, hitting a random shot as strikes her fancy and putting). My goal is to keep her having fun, but I've thought "what if" and have no idea what the threshold would be.

Congrats to her by the way. And you. Y'all have decades of being able to chase that stupid ball around together.
Wildcat
AG
She's at 10, but they tell us it will creep-up a stroke or two when she jumps to college. I'm hoping she will work the short game more consistently with a professional coach. The girls coach in her HS was pretty much a babysitter and bus driver.

And if you are really serious, the girls that go D1 are all sub 5 and can bomb it further than most men. We learned a little too late that playing in some national tournaments would have led to more opportunities.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.