Phoenix Golf Recomendation

2,179 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Duckhook
skippytimmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't come here to ask for recommendations, but to give one.

I have probably played golf in the Phoenix / Scottsdale area over 100 times. I THOUGHT I had played every course (at least public / resort) that I needed to play.

However, last week I went to Phoenix for work (and Aggie basketball, golf and poker), and a friend of mine suggested we go play Southern Dunes, at the Ak-Chin Indian Reservation. I had never heard of it, but he raved about it. It is about 45 minutes south of Phoenix, and WELL worth the drive.

Southern Dunes
[url=http://www.akchinsoutherndunes.com/][/url]
It is an amazing course in amazing condition. It was really more of a dunes course, than a desert course.

It seriously was a beautiful, challenging course, and unlike anything I have played in Arizona.

Highly recommend. Posted some pics below (not mine)

DallasAggie89
AG
I played it a few years ago and agree 100%. Fantastic course.
jgh85Ag
AG
Is 2 dozen balls enough?
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
zebco
Agree, worth the drive. My favorite track by far from a golf trip to Scottsdale a few years back.
skippytimmy
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Is 2 dozen balls enough?
2 balls was good enough for me......
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Very timely as we're currently finalizing a Scottsdale trip in February. I was able to get this added to the itinerary. Not to hijack thread but any thoughts on Wickenburg Ranch? Its being strongly recommended as well but also a bit of a drive from town.
skippytimmy
AG
Never played wickenburg. Where else you playing?
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
As of now:
Gray Hawk - Raptor
Troon North - Monument
Southern Dunes
We-Ko-Pa (not sure which)
TPC Stadium
Camelback

I've heard some say TPC Stadium is not worth what they charge, but I also like the idea of crossing courses off tour stop list. Thinking of taking that or Camelback out in favor of Wickenburg.
Duckhook
AG
Hotdog Hamblin said:

Thanks for the heads up. Very timely as we're currently finalizing a Scottsdale trip in February. I was able to get this added to the itinerary. Not to hijack thread but any thoughts on Wickenburg Ranch? Its being strongly recommended as well but also a bit of a drive from town.

I have played Wickenburg. It's an awesome course, but not an easy course. I played it in a February, and it was in great shape. Huge, undulating, fast greens. I hit 12 greens in regulation that day, and had 42 putts, including a 4 putt. There were places that, if you were on the wrong side of the hole, you had almost no chance to 2 putt. I was moaning and groaning as we were unloading our clubs, and one of the bag boys told me that the guy who holds the course record shot 83 or 84 first time he played it. Having said all of that, I want another crack at it and would go back and play it again. If you do go, just make sure you play the right tees for the skill level of your group.
Duckhook
AG
Also, just to add another course I dont see mentioned on here. Golf Club of Estrella. Very fair and fun course in the Goodyear area west of Phoenix. Well maintained. A Jack Nicklaus Jr. design. Troon club. We played it along with three other courses one year, and liked it so much that we rented a house close to it so we could play there more the next year. Can be a bit of a drive if you're staying in Scottsdale.
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
I like awesome and I like challenging, so that sounds ideal. Thanks. I'm actually in a bit of a conundrum with my group as I am a 5 and nobody else is sub-10. Pretty sure we'll be playing the one-ups throughout the trip. Not the end of the world I guess.
Duckhook
AG
Duckhook
AG
Hotdog,

Here's one of the holes at Wickenburg.

And here's a pretty cool pic. When we were playing at Estrella, we come up to the 18th tee and here's this bobcat sitting up in the rocks with something in his mouth that he had just caught. He was pretty unconcerned about us.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.