Old man Golf survey

2,486 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by khaos288
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm considering ditching my 4 iron for a 7 wood. Any one else do that?

On my bad Golf days my 4 iron is a total liability, whereas my 5 wood is usually pretty reliable. I'd rather be pin high with a missed 7 wood than rolling in the dirt with a missed 4 iron.

Am I crazy?
jj9000
AG
Nothing wrong with bagging a 7 wood. Especially if you hit it better than a 4 iron.

For those that play a 7 wood...they usually usually pair it with a 4 wood to manage distance gaps.

TaylorMade has what they call a 3HL and a 5HL...which is nothing more than a 4/7 setup.

khaos288
AG
jj9000 said:

Nothing wrong with bagging a 7 wood. Especially if you hit it better than a 4 iron.

For those that play a 7 wood...they usually usually pair it with a 4 wood to manage distance gaps.

TaylorMade has what they call a 3HL and a 5HL...which is nothing more than a 4/7 setup.

Well I play a 14.5 3 wood, and a 18 degree 5 wood. So I was going to try the f6 adjustable 7-8 wood, and find a degree between 21-24 that provides the right gap.
jj9000
AG
Just be aware that adjusting loft adjusts face angle.

It's not an exact 1:1 ratio...but it's close.

Going up in loft = Closing the club face

Going down in loft = Opening the clubface
Duckhook
AG
khaos288 said:

On my bad Golf days my 4 iron is a total liability, whereas my 5 wood is usually pretty reliable. I'd rather be pin high with a missed 7 wood than rolling in the dirt with a missed 4 iron.

Am I crazy?

Any reason you're not considering hybrids? I play a 2, 3, 4 hybrid (and sometimes a 5 & 6). I'm 61 and a low single digit handicap. I find them more versatile than woods of the same lofts. To me, they're easier to hit high or low, easier to hit punch shots, low recovery shots out of the trees, etc.
DannyDuberstein
AG
43 year old low single digit and have been playing the same setup as the post above for a good 5 years now - 2, 3, and 4 hybrid.
khaos288
AG
Duckhook said:

khaos288 said:

Am I crazy?

Any reason you're not considering hybrids? I play a 2, 3, 4 hybrid (and sometimes a 5 & 6). I'm 61 and a low single digit handicap. I find them more versatile than woods of the same lofts. To me, they're easier to hit high or low, easier to hit punch shots, low recovery shots out of the trees, etc.

I have tried 10 different hybrids or more, and I can not hit them. No idea why but I've literally never hit back to back quality hybrid shots haha
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Just remember that the key to swinging a good hybrid is to swing it like an iron even though your body wants you to sweep it like a wood off the deck.
khaos288
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Just remember that the key to swinging a good hybrid is to swing it like an iron even though your body wants you to sweep it like a wood off the deck.

Yeah I've heard it, tried it. No success. I've taken tons of hybrids to the range and never could shape them like I liked or even hit very consistently
jj9000
AG
khaos288 said:

Yeah I've heard it, tried it. No success. I've taken tons of hybrids to the range and never could shape them like I liked or even hit very consistently

Inhaling or exhaling on the downswing?
khaos288
AG
jj9000 said:

khaos288 said:

Inhaling or exhaling on the downswing?

Holding breath, left hand pull
Inhale, right hand push
Exhale, pinky out swipe

I tried it all!
Mr.Bond
AG
I've played a 7 wood for 2 years. Great addition to my bag and I'm not old
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Trinity Ag
S
khaos288 said:

I'm bagging a Titleist T-MB 4-iron.

I tried a H1 23 degree hybrid, and just couldn't get a consistent ball flight on the course. I could hit it on the range, but the misses on the course were brutal.

The T-MB is a hollow iron-hybrid with significant tungsten perimeter weights to move the center of gravity back & down.

I really like it -- and it stays in play when I miss it.

I've come to prefer driving irons and iron-hybrids to fairways and hybrids -- just more consistency, and smaller penalty on misses.
khaos288
AG
Trinity Ag said:

khaos288 said:

I tried a H1 23 degree hybrid, and just couldn't get a consistent ball flight on the course. I could hit it on the range, but the misses on the course were brutal.

The T-MB is a hollow iron-hybrid with significant tungsten perimeter weights to move the center of gravity back & down.

I've come to prefer driving irons and iron-hybrids to fairways and hybrids -- just more consistency, and smaller penalty on misses.

I may try that next. I used to love my old mizuno mph4 3 iron. It was a 210 monster
Trinity Ag
S
khaos288 said:

Trinity Ag said:

khaos288 said:

I may try that next. I used to love my old mizuno mph4 3 iron. It was a 210 monster
I've also been gaming an old style Mizuno 18* Flihi. I hit it 230 off the tee, and actually play it more than my driver -- especially on par 5s that are not reachable.

It is getting a little long in the tooth (I think it is a 2006 model) -- so I just bought a Srixon U65 18* as a potential replacement, but haven't hit it yet.

I was looking for a MP-H4 2-iron, but they are like hens teeth. I think those who bought them keep them!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
khaos288 said:

Trinity Ag said:

khaos288 said:

I got a 3-5 mph4 I can sell
X100 soft stepped. Standard lie and loft.
khaos288
AG

khaos288 said:

Trinity Ag said:

khaos288 said:

I got a 3-5 mph4 I can sell
X100 soft stepped. Standard lie and loft.

I'll keep ya in mind. I'm hoping the 7 wood works out. I love my 5 wood, but I just can't pull off it enough without hooking it. So the gaps between my 5iron and 5wood is huge
oldschool87
AG
Ping 7 wood!!! most any model.

Quit bagging on the old men clubs... the pro's are carrying this stuff!!!

Also, I hit a 4 wood vs a 3 wood. Get the ball in the air better, and I hit it just as far.
93MarineHorn
I'm starting to get up there in age (50) but I'm actually going the opposite direction in terms of club selection. I recently added a 3 iron and really like it, especially off the tee. Off the deck is a little harder, but my misses tend to be low line drives that stay straight. I know this isn't ideal, but it's a hell of lot better than spraying my hybrid all over the place.

I really like it as my "driving iron" because it has a very penetrating ball flight which is great for dry, windy conditions (which is very common in central TX).
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I did this a few months back and love hitting the 7 wood (Ping). My 4 iron is used exclusively for punch outs and digging balls out of tall weeds in hot weather now. It was becoming a huge liability and I have enough of those in my bag already.

I have always been way more comfortable with hitting fairway woods than long irons. I would highly recommend it for the elderly, of which I am becoming.

STFU jgh.
Trinity Ag
S
Trinity Ag said:

khaos288 said:

Trinity Ag said:

khaos288 said:

I've also been gaming an old style Mizuno 18* Flihi. I hit it 230 off the tee, and actually play it more than my driver -- especially on par 5s that are not reachable.

It is getting a little long in the tooth (I think it is a 2006 model) -- so I just bought a Srixon U65 18* as a potential replacement, but haven't hit it yet.

I was looking for a MP-H4 2-iron, but they are like hens teeth. I think those who bought them keep them!
Got to play 2 rounds with the Srixon.

I flat love this club. It isn't so much that it is long -- it is, but maybe 5-10 more that the Mizuno.

The difference is that it is MUCH easier to hit, and just wants to go straight.

Catch it dead flush with a little draw, and it will go 250+. Cut it a little, and it is a very slight fade, out to 230.

It is hard to gauge distance on the range/course because of wind influence -- but even on really bad hits I am 210-220, and in the fairway. With the Flihi, an inside swing would yield a wicked slice.

If I had any sense, I would leave the driver in the trunk and just hit this off the tee.

If you are a guy who dislikes hybrids, the new driving irons are worth a try.
jgh85Ag
AG
You need something to go with that 125 yard 5 iron.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
StoutAg
AG
I actually added the 7-wood a while back but it replaced my 3 iron. Now I have been hitting it longer than I originally purchased it for. I play a lot less than I used to but still single digit handicap (9). I loved my 4.5 wood so much that I had to get a 7 wood to match it. My buddy got a hybrid 3 at the same time and likes it, too. If you like to hit woods like me, go for the 7 wood. Also ignore the comments like "You know how I know you're gay?" in reference to the 7 wood.
Czechs Out 03
AG
I just saw this Avid Golfer Article about when to switch from irons to hybrids. Thought it was relevant to this discussion.
Quote:

Hybrid/Long-Iron Guidelines
  • If you hit a 7-iron 140 yards or less, a 6-iron should be the longest iron in your set. The 3, 4 and 5 should be hybrids. Even the 6 iron is marginal.
  • If you can hit your 7-iron 150-160 yards, think about nothing longer than a 5 iron; 3 and 4 should be hybrids.
  • If you can hit your 7-iron 160-170 yards, nothing longer than 4 iron; 3 should be hybrid. (That's me, but I use a 4-hybrid)
  • If you can hit a 7-iron more than 170 yards, you can use any set make up you choose.

DadAG10
E-TownAG 03 said:

Quote:

• If you can hit a 7-iron more than 170 yards, you can use any set make up you choose.

Then it's settled, everyone on TA can choose any set combo they want.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
jgh85Ag said:

You need something to go with that 125 yard 5 iron.
That was a pure 135 yards, chief.
khaos288
AG
Club is a winner. I hit six shots with it last night (2 tee shots at the par 4 on the short course 3 different times) and all of them were within a few feet of a tree i lasered at 205. They were sky high and would have qualified as the best 4 iron shots I ever hit
khaos288
AG
Got my first 18 in it with it today.

Not only was it consistent, but it was my best club. 205 off the tee, fairway, or out of the rough.

Short par 4s and par 5 approach shot it was clutch. Probably hit 8 shots with it today and all of them would have qualified as perfect 4 iron shots
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.