Update on The Falls

4,445 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by C ROC N
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Residents had a meeting this past weekend discussing the future of the course. From what I am told the son of the course designer is planning on buying it. (I think Jay Rivera built it). Word is he is purchasing it and will re-open it? We shall see.....

FWIW they let residents still play the course. Someone mows it maybe once a week and keeps up with it the best they can all things considered. I usually go play it once every couple months and I still enjoy it even though it is in pretty bad shape. It makes me wish they'd reopen it soon. Such a beast of a course and so pretty out there.
sangredevino
Can you just walk on out there? Loved the course and would make the drive from Houston 3 times a year to play.
AggieT
AG
Can't wait for it to reopen. Hope it happens soon.
AustinCountyAg
sangredevino said:

Can you just walk on out there? Loved the course and would make the drive from Houston 3 times a year to play.
not currently. you have to be a resident in order to play the course right now. you can either walk it or if you have your own cart you can use it.....It is basically like a fancy pasture golf experience. No flags in the cups, most bunkers are filled in with grass and weeds, etc.
Cen-Tex
AG
Thanks for the update. Passed by there today & was wondering about the course.
AustinCountyAg
https://ibb.co/grdWvw
https://ibb.co/hvmjFw
https://ibb.co/j0mjFw

Some pics from the falls recently
Cen-Tex
AG
Thanks for the pics. At least the course is being manicured to some degree. Wonder where the income is being generated to pay the employees?
AustinCountyAg
Update on potential buyer for the course... not at liberty to announce his name, but he is a prominent figure on the golf channel. You have seen his face a lot. Apperantly he has plans of building house out there and has some big money investors who are willing to pump money back into the course. He even tossed around the idea of the course hosting professional events in the future????

I hope his hopes and dreams come true.
jgh85Ag
AG
I have played operating courses in worse condition...Northcliffe.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Matsui
cevans_40
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Update on potential buyer for the course... not at liberty to announce his name, but he is a prominent figure on the golf channel. You have seen his face a lot. Apperantly he has plans of building house out there and has some big money investors who are willing to pump money back into the course. He even tossed around the idea of the course hosting professional events in the future????

I would love to hear more info on this. I live in Bellville and have history in the golf course business (former superintendent looking for a new gig) and would like any inside info. Just reply and I will put up a way to reach me if you would be willing to help.
Ag81Golf
AustinCountyAg said:

Can confirm this as well. Hope negotiations work out since it appears Austin County will be losing another golf course.
cevans_40
AG
Ag81Golf said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Can confirm this as well. Hope negotiations work out since it appears Austin County will be losing another golf course.

What other course may be going away?
Ag81Golf
No official announcement yet from the owner so not at liberty to say. The decision has definitely been made to close.

This closing may help The Falls attract more golfers if things get worked out with our friend from the Golf Channel.

AustinCountyAg
River Ridge? I know SFA is in full rebuild mode. What other courses are there besides TPC Bellville and eagle lake?
Ag81Golf
I would play one of the ones you just mentioned soon. If you have a chance play more than 18 holes.
Poot
As in... play all 27 if you're there?
AustinCountyAg
Would hate to see River Ridge go but I can believe it if so. I wish they would just lower some of their overhead out there and lower green fees to increase the amount of play.

I'm sure it gets expensive having multiple pro's employeed and so many staff members. I wish they would take the Pine Dunes approach and make it all about the golf.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Those pics are better than I expected to see. Prominent figure on Golf Channel- Gary Williams? He went to Baylor right? That's the only who pops in my head at the moment.
Harry Stone
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Those pics are better than I expected to see. Prominent figure on Golf Channel- Gary Williams? He went to Baylor right? That's the only who pops in my head at the moment.
Chamblee?
Ag81Golf
AustinCountyAg said:

Would hate to see River Ridge go but I can believe it if so. I wish they would just lower some of their overhead out there and lower green fees to increase the amount of play.

I'm sure it gets expensive having multiple pro's employeed and so many staff members. I wish they would take the Pine Dunes approach and make it all about the golf.

According to the National Golf Foundation we have averaged over 100 golf course closings annually for the past decade and only 10 to 15 new openings annually.

It is difficult to operate a course in semi rural areas and draw enough play to make it viable.
Ag81Golf
AustinCountyAg gave the hint in his original post.

Riviere had a partner did he not?
98Ag99Grad
AG
Harry Stone said:

98Ag99Grad said:

Chamblee?

Totally forgot about him. That makes more sense.
HouAggie
AG
WAS a prominent figure on the GC may be a more appropriate thing to say.
Ag81Golf
Winner winner chicken dinner!
hunterjr81
If they were going to close River Ridge why bother cleaning it up and reopening it after it flooded? I played it last Friday and it was in good shape.
Harry Stone
AG
HouAggie said:

WAS a prominent figure on the GC may be a more appropriate thing to say.

Holly Sonders
Funky Winkerbean
AG
hunterjr81 said:

If they were going to close River Ridge why bother cleaning it up and reopening it after it flooded? I played it last Friday and it was in good shape.

Try to sell it.
Tom Hagen
AG
Ag81Golf said:

AustinCountyAg gave the hint in his original post.

Riviere had a partner did he not?
Dave Marr?
Cen-Tex
AG
Both Dave Marr & Jay Rivera had sons
jja79
AG
I believe I heard on GC that Dave Marr Jr has left there to work on some sort of project.
jonj101
Bumping an ancient one, but was told tonight that the Falls is under new ownership and this group is planning on sinking a good investment into the course.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

C ROC N
Would love to work out there if they re-open the course. But they really need to modernize the place and make it a getaway resort similar to Lost Pines/Wolfdancer!
AustinCountyAg
I've heard from several reliable sources that a local fellow is in the process of purchasing the place. However, we've heard this before so I will believe it when I see it. I also heard that he already has someone in mind who is from the area to return back to the county and run the course. I'm not saying any names, but if this potential buyer does purchase I will think it will be hard for this certain PGA professional to turn down even though his current job isn't a bad one.

I agree they need to update many of the rooms and the facility needs a major facelift. Imo the first thing they need to do is lower the rates. Nobody local is going to drive out there consistently to play if they are charging $100 to play like they were. Drop it to $65 on the weekend and $45 or so during the week and I think they would see a large increase in players out there. When it was in operation me and my playing friends would only hit up randomly. The price was just to much to swallow on a consistent basis. Not to mention the course is an absolute beast and could really eat you alive if you're spraying the ball off the tee.

The course is still in play shape considering it's been closed a few years. A couple months of solid work would have it back in good shape. Hell I'd pay twenty bucks to play it now the way it is.
C ROC N
How much is it going to take to buy this place? I have some potential investors if the price is right!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.