Wildflower in Temple

1,521 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by osmosis ag
GQaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just moved to Temple and am checking out Wildflower on Saturday. To agalaska and others who have played out there, how is it? This will also be the first time I have considered joining a country club. What sorts of questions should I ask? I know to ask about assessments and how frequently dues can change, but what else?
agsalaska
AG
I am teeing off in 15 minutes.

Email me at KPG4923atgmail.com
GQaggie
AG
Email sent, thanks.
watty
AG
How are the new greens?
Colt98
AG
Was a member there while my wife was in residency. I enjoyed the time we had out there.
ClassOf17
I played Sammons today. I'd do anything to be a member at wildflower
watty
AG
Sammons is getting new greens next spring. Their winter greens should be pretty good before too long.
agsalaska
AG
watty said:

How are the new greens?
They are. Better than I was expecting this early. Last week they started actuall checking up a little bit. They putt smooth. They are a little ugly still and there is some sportiness on a couple of holes. But they are good and are going to be great. Very little grain.

It's weird after putting them for the last couple of years and then now. 14 of the 18 greens were not changed but the breaks in them are all a little different.

They did not do the collars though. Supposedly that Is next year.

Yesterday
AG
Mini Verde?
The Grinder (99)
AG
The golf at Wildflower is decent and getting better. The relatively new greens keeper seems very good. In spite of needing to spend a lot of time on putting in the new greens, the fairways actually look better than they have in years. They are also thinning out some trees in an attempt to thicken up the grass throughout the course.

The greens are looking pretty good. From what I understand, it is true that they are going to replace the fringes next season and I believe add a barrier so they don't have the fairway grass creeping into the new grass. They are already having some issues with the current fringe grass from creeping onto the greens in spite of them cutting with an edger between the green and fringe. Overall the greens are good. They've been rolling true. Next season should really be good (minus whatever headache the fringe replacements cause, which will be minor I'm sure compared to what we endured the previous year with the overall green replacement).

the facilities are fair. The pool is small and dated. The outside facilities are not good there and the bathrooms outside are always a mess or not functioning properly. I personally don't use the pool a lot buy my wife and kids do and we have several friends that do as well. I hear about this all the time. For younger families that are on the fence about joining, I don't think they realize how off putting this is. I mean, in our house, we're going to be members regardless cause golf is something that is a part of our lives. But for many of my friends, I know their wives are dissatisfied with the pool and complain about being members there with such poor service and facilities.
agsalaska
AG
Greens were really good this week. I would prefer them a tick faster but they will get there. They are certainly not slow.
osmosis ag
Stonetree, Killeen, has become one of the nicer courses in the area and it's a public course. It can get crowded on the weekends though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.