Pecan Hollow PSA - Plano

1,736 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schwabbin
CuriousAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Played Sunday morning and winds were gusting 18-19 mph.

Course is in phenomenal shape. Greens were firm and rolling 10-11. Every lag putt would continue 4-5 feet past the hole, which made it pretty challenging. Greens were better than most private clubs I have seen over the years, so I was okay with the 3-putts.

Give it a try.
khaos288
AG
Man I love that course. First par 4 green I ever hit with driver.

Never played a round under 4.5 hours though.
tandy miller
AG
khaos288 said:

Better than the 6:15 round I played at tour 18 last week
FJB
powerbelly
AG
tandy miller said:

khaos288 said:

Better than the 6:15 round I played at tour 18 last week
That is blazing fast for tour 18.
tandy miller
AG
I'll never play there again if I'm off after 7:30. Course (hou) was in fantastic shape except for the bunkers (harvey), but I'd rather stomp on my own dick than wait 15 minutes between every single shot
FJB
Chipotlemonger
AG
Great course. Best rounds there are always at off times.
jgh85Ag
AG
tandy said:

but I'd rather stomp on my own dick than wait 15 minutes between every single shot

I know you have short legs but did not think they were that short
DannyDuberstein
AG
The Pecan Hollow renovation is the best one I've ever seen for a public course. How they completely rerouted the course + the condition it has consistently been in ever sense are pretty damn amazing compared to what it was before. I've not seen a course improve that drastically in every way like that one has.
t - cam
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The Pecan Hollow renovation is the best one I've ever seen for a public course. How they completely rerouted the course + the condition it has consistently been in ever sense are pretty damn amazing compared to what it was before. I've not seen a course improve that drastically in every way like that one has.

Not to mention some of the best practice facilities you'll find anywhere.
DannyDuberstein
AG
In the meantime, Richardson ****ed up their renovation of Sherrill Park #1 because they left it on the hands of Ronny Glanton. To be fair, SP #1 already had a good layout vs the routing overhaul Pecan Hollow needed, but it has still left a lot to be desired in every other way too. And the traffic difference between the 2 courses tells the story.
CuriousAg
DannyDuberstein said:

In the meantime, Richardson ****ed up their renovation of Sherrill Park #1 because they left it on the hands of Ronny Glanton. To be fair, SP #1 already had a good layout vs the routing overhaul Pecan Hollow needed, but it has still left a lot to be desired in every other way too. And the traffic difference between the 2 courses tells the story.
I think he has one of the best jobs in the business... Makes $450k+ to manage a now crappy goat farm. The greens have gone to hell at Sherrill over the last few years and it is quite sad. If someone at the city of Richardson had two whits about the condition change he should be forced out, but the course is too convenient and will always be busy enough to turn a profit. Used to be ranked one of the best munis in the state.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, it's pretty incredible as to what he's been able to get away with there, but to your point, as long as it's not a pain point or losing $$$ for the city, they seem happy to leave him alone. The #1 renovation opened last fall and those greens really struggled for awhile, but did improve quite a bit over the course of the summer (of course, it was one of the best summers ever for moderate temps and rainfall). But when you compare the greens PH put in (even back at the immature stage after their reno) compared to SP #1 so far, they are not remotely comparable.

One of the problems with SP 1 was how they were getting their water. They did have a problem with basically poisoning their own greens with excess sodium in their groundwater. They flat-out killed their greens a few times before the reno. From what I understand, they drilled a well twice as deep as the old to water most of the course now, and they are watering the greens with city water.
t - cam
AG
Played course 1 a couple weeks ago and it's still great and really has been for several years. To much traffic but its a more impressive layout than pecan hollow.
AggieC07
AG
Did the now Course 1 used to be Course 2?

I could have sworn a few years back it was Course 2.
DannyDuberstein
AG
No. Same courses have always been 1 and 2. They did reverse the front and back 9 on #1 back in the mid 90's, along with some bigger renovations than they did this time. But they've always been 1 (north) and 2 (south).

I can't stand #2. Didn't have quite enough real estate, so too many holes sit on top of each other.

I've always been a fan of #1, although the green issues they had over the past 10+ years really hurt it. This past renovation was long overdue. I've also always gotten along well with Ronny, but he's definitley a blowhard that is unnecessarily rude to some of the customers at times. And more importantly, I think he let things slip out there for too long. I think they cheaped out on the greens in the mid-90's renovation. This latest renovation was long overdue and the early results are disappointing for something that was needed for so long. But maybe it will come around as the greens mature.
schwabbin
AG
I walked the front nine out at PH today. It's in great shape but the greens are so damn fast it's not like any other muni greens I've played. One of my DFW favorites.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.