Sergio dumps taylormade

3,221 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bmcghee03
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"mutual" ..... Interesting

Where to next? Callaway, ping, PXGarcia?

Surely he stays with Adidas. Huge European brand
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Icecream_Ag
S
Pxg
12thMan2012
AG
Sounds like Callaway, he's apparently been using Callaway Wedges and an Odyssey putter.

Adidas sold Taylormade, so I assume this won't have an impact on his Adidas sponsorship.
Whoop04
It's gotta be tough to give up the, what's the sales pitch now? 50 extra yards?
Goose
AG
Homeboy might be overselling his tweet with the "HUGE NEWS" lead in though.
Mr.Bond
AG
He's been with them for like 15 years and is a top 10 recognizable golfer in the world. I think it's pretty notable news in the golf community
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

98Ag99Grad
AG
looking for that last big payday after winning The Masters. Can't blame him. Probably Callaway since as mentioned above he's been gaming some of their clubs recently. Could totally see the PXG guy throwing a lot of money his way and making it tempting.
Goose
AG
Mr.Bond said:

He's been with them for like 15 years and is a top 10 recognizable golfer in the world. I think it's pretty notable news in the golf community
Nah, I get that, but he's effectively changing hats (well, changing hats and changing some info in the "Payor" area of the fat endorsement checks he'll keep right on cashing.) Worthy of tweeting the information, I agree completely, just not sure it's the HUGE NEWS!!! it's being made out to be, that's all.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Could totally see the PXG guy throwing a lot of money his way and making it tempting.

For these guys at the elite level winning>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> money. Many of the PXG guys struggled after making the change. Just look at Zack Johnson's proximity to the pin stats after the change, especially with his wedges.

Sergio is going to go in a direction he is comfortable with, not where some guy hurls a bunch of money at him.
98Ag99Grad
AG
aggiedent said:

Quote:

Could totally see the PXG guy throwing a lot of money his way and making it tempting.

For these guys at the elite level winning>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> money. Many of the PXG guys struggled after making the change. Just look at Zack Johnson's proximity to the pin stats after the change, especially with his wedges.

Sergio is going to go in a direction he is comfortable with, not where some guy hurls a bunch of money at him.
Gonna have to disagree with you in this case. if that's true he would have stayed with TM. His agent is reported to be looking for the a big payday to cash in on his major win. Guys switch all the time for money. If it was only about winning guys in the top 10-20 in the world would play what they want, not what they get paid to play. Your JOhnson example kinda proves the point don't you think? he made the switch right after winning the open and he had been with Titleist forever.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Your JOhnson example kinda proves the point don't you think? he made the switch right after winning the open and he had been with Titleist forever.

No question some guys follow the money. Also........some guys would rather be a big fish in a small pond rather than a little fish in a big pond.

Tiger Woods went to Nike for money and to be the King of Nike.........but no question his game suffered.
Zach Johnson is another example of a player whose game went down the drain after the switch.
Rory took forever to adjust to his clubs after he switched.

I'm just thinking Sergio is a little smarter and has different goals.
12thMan2012
AG
Zach Johnson hasn't gone down the drain since the switch. He hasn't been quite as good, and some of that has been due to being 41, some to putting, and maybe some to the equipment change.

I'm no PXG apologist, but most guys who have made the switch have improved. Pat Perez with a career season, Ryan Moore made a Ryder Cup team, Charles Howell has gone up almost 70 spots in the world ranking, Billy Horschel has gotten better after a dismal 2015 (and he played PING that year).

I don't even think the guys that went to PXG were chasing money. They don't have many high profile guys, or many players to begin with. Signing a guy like Sergio doesn't fit the mold of what they've done so far as a company.
Aggie369
AG
My buddy says Justin Rose is next....

And the TM guys are leaving cause Taylormade is "out of money"
98Ag99Grad
AG
Rose, DJ, Day. They have some huge names.
Mr.Bond
AG
Aggie369 said:

My buddy says Justin Rose is next....

And the TM guys are leaving cause Taylormade is "out of money"
Interesting to think about. But like the post above me, I think they have 3 of the top 5 players in the world and are ok with that

12thMan2012
AG
I was thinking that would happen.

Guys like Sergio, Justin Rose and even Adam Scott are still some of the best players in the world, but they aren't playing very much anymore.

PGA Tour starts this season
Sergio - 17 (4 majors, 3 WGC, 4 FedEx)
Justin Rose - 18 (4 majors, 3 WGC, 4 FedEx)
Adam Scott - 16 (4 majors, 3 WGC, 2 FedEx)

Taylormade already has big contracts on the books with Jason Day, DJ and Rory, they can't justify paying everybody, especially if they are only playing a majors/WGC/Fedex schedule.
Quinn
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

TM signed a couple guys name Tiger and Rory last year, too.
Icecream_Ag
S
Isn't part of the issue with those guys that they have to play so many euro tournaments to qualify for the ryder and presidents cups
12thMan2012
AG
So does John Rahm, but he played in 23 PGATOUR events this year.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Zach Johnson hasn't gone down the drain since the switch. He hasn't been quite as good, and some of that has been due to being 41, some to putting, and maybe some to the equipment change.

His first year after switching, one of the golf commentators said that his proximity to the pin with his short irons went from top 15 the previous year down to the mid 90's that year. For a guy that has to depend on accuracy instead of power, that's a disaster any way you cut it.

I'm not specifically bashing PXG, just pointing out that equipment changes can be tough. I gave other examples besides PXG.
jj9000
AG
Someone check Lydia Ko's stats moving from Callaway to PXG.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Quinn said:

98Ag99Grad said:

TM signed a couple guys name Tiger and Rory last year, too.
Who?? Totally forgot about Rory.

And sometimes it's not the clubs that cause problems but the ball. When Rory went to Nike and started using theirs he complained about the feel vs the Titleist. I suspect Sergio could have a similar issue transitioning to a chrome soft if he has to.
12thMan2012
AG
Her problem is Leadbetter can't stop tinkering with stuff that works.
Quinn
AG
Very true RE the ball. Rory said that TMs new ball was a big reason he signed there.
JYDog90
AG
12thMan2012 said:

Her problem is Leadbetter can't stop tinkering with stuff that works.
Yep, as Dick Harmon used to say, "She got 'Lead' poisoning."
Formerly Willy Wonka
jja79
AG
She hasn't worked with him in over a year.
12thMan2012
AG
It's been a little less than a year, but I don't follow it all that close. I just remember him up and deciding after a great year that she needed to start hitting a draw off the tee, and then she took a little down turn.
I don't know why anyone that is playing for money chooses to work with Leadbetter.
Mr.Bond
AG
Sergio officially to callaway. Stays with adidas

hunterjr81
Good move by Sergio. I am sure they make good clubs but I dislike TaylorMades marketing strategy. Its all about distance. F distance. Give me a par any day!

AustinCountyAg
12thMan2012 said:

So does John Rahm, but he played in 23 PGATOUR events this year.
yes and it was also his first full year on the pga tour. Not to mention he is in his early twenties with no other priorities in his life. The other guys are older and rich. It isn't apples to apples when comparing them to Rahm
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
hunterjr81 said:

Good move by Sergio. I am sure they make good clubs but I dislike TaylorMades marketing strategy. Its all about distance. F distance. Give me a par any day!

Maybe my sarcasm meter is broken; but, he signed with Callaway.

I'm a Callaway fan. But, if anyone markets based on distance...
bmcghee03
AG
Did Tiger end up being part of the new ownership group for TM? I remember that being a possibility and I know they are now developing a new series of irons for him. Part of me wonders if Sergio didn't want to play second fiddle, especially since he is far more successful in recent years in terms of winning. These guys all have huge egos to begin with, then you mix in the 20 year old beef between those two guys...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.