Need a ruling here

2,445 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Maroonedinaustin
TresPuertas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First off, I'll go ahead and say that I should have said something before I hit the ball. I knew it and it was in my head on the tee box, but I didn't, and I should have.

that being said......

Today I was playing and it was slow. We were fine with the pace and generally didn't get caught up too much. I was in a twosome, playing behind a foursome, and there was a threesome behind us. We were all generally doing well until 18, where we came up to the tee box and the group ahead of us was still teeing off. We stayed in our cart away from the tee box until they went off to their balls and we were next up. By that time, the group behind us had caught up to us and followed us up to the tee box behind us. They were playing the tips and we were playing the box directly ahead of them. This aggrivated the hell out of me, but I didn't say anything. I stepped up to the tee box and blocked my tee shot to the right and one of the guys behind me made a comment and screamed "fore". I didn't care for that.... at all. I then had to re-tee and the guys behind me were laughing and I was pissed. Aaaaaaand of course I did it again, and all three busted out laughing. I then turned around and asked them if they had ever been taught etiquitte and that they needed to be quiet. (It wasn't that nice).

I let it go and went forward and dropped.

All the laughing and comments aside, what initially pissed me off was that they were standing on the tee box behind us before we had even hit. What do y'all think about that? I was always told by my grandfather to not even approach a tee box when a group ahead of you is on it, but Im not sure thats one of the unwritten rules.
Goose
AG
I'm staying in the cart until the group I'm waiting on has teed off and is headed down the fairway. Usually well back of the tee box too, so that any noise we make isn't a distraction. Those dudes sound like ***holes.
Famous Shoes
AG
You were playing in front of 3 A Holes! Shake it off and hit em good next time, most as* Holes are born that way and will never change so don't worry about it!
07fta07
AG
Depends. If the previous green is close to the tee box, they need to move ahead toward the box to clear the green. They don't have to stand on it, but that's splitting hairs. If they were out of the way, I don't see a big deal.

The rest of it sounds like they're a bunch of *******s.
Quinn
AG
Was anyone else waiting for the part where he turned around and hit his drive at those guys?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Quinn said:

Was anyone else waiting for the part where he turned around and hit his drive at those guys?

raidernarizona
Quinn said:

Here!
Old School Brother
Quinn said:

Doesn't sound like they would've been in much danger.
DannyDuberstein
AG
What a 3some of dicks. Totally uncalled for, and no, you don't go onto any tee box while the group in front of you is still playing.

I usually hang back in the cart, unless as noted above, the distance between the previous green and the teebox is so tight that there isn't room to safely hang back. Either way, I try to make sure and time my drive up so that I'm not interrupting someone's swing.
DadAG10
Fore!
CCMD
AG
If that had happened to me, then I probably would have stayed near the 18th green after finishing to total my scorecard, clean my clubs, and slowly restock my bag with tees, ball marker, etc., just to make them wait.
DadAG10
Or could have said:

"Been slow all day, y'all want to play last hole with us?"
DannyDuberstein
AG
DadAG10 said:

Or could have said:

Yeah, if it wouldn't be more than 5, I will typically offer this (and have been offered it many times). That said, if someone just went onto a teebox without any interaction, then **** them.
DadAG10
DannyDuberstein said:

DadAG10 said:

Or could have said:

Yeah, if it wouldn't be more than 5, I will typically offer this (and have been offered it many times). That said, if someone just went onto a teebox without any interaction, then **** them.
They likely were thinking something similar:

"We've been waiting on a two-some for several holes, we are at the box before they get out of carts and can get out and walk up to the box at the same time, and these a**holes don't ask us to play last hole with them. Then fuc! them."

CapCity12thMan
AG
I wouldn't ask someone to finish up with only one hole left, and I wouldn't do it if we've been waiting on people in front of us all day. That's just how the pace of play has been all day and if it really bothered me I would have tried to play through the slow group in front of me earlier in the round and then make what's behind me their problem.

Now, as far as them standing on the box with you as you teed off...how far back were "the tips"? If it is its own box, disconnected and a decent ways back, I don't see how that should've bothered you. If it was same tee, just markers a tad further back, then yeah I don't know what they were thinking to do that. That being said - don't let outside distractions win. Step up and hit a good shot anyway.

...and any sort of commentary about someone else's shot is uncalled for.
hunterjr81
If they were still and not talking while I am try to hit the ball it wouldn't bother me at all. Heck, the pro's play with people around them all the time. If I were you I would focus more on golf than what others around you are doing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
All easier said than done for a lot of golfers. They don't want to look like a hack in front of other golfers. So spectators increase nerves. Nerves make small muscles speed up and big muscles slow down. That makes the golf swing go wonky. It's just human nature.
14TheRoad
AG
i don't think they should have acknowledged or made any comments on your first or second t shots but personally it wouldn't bother me if they were standing on the t box behind me. I've definitely done this on #1 a time or two without thinking anything of it. I don't know what the etiquette call on this is, probably not the best but also think it's not that big of a deal also.

I do have a problem with them offering any type of devaluing comment or response though.
19AG84
AG
Beer! I almost guarantee that the threesome had been drinking. They were totally out of line. Unfortunately I have seen their attitude permeate the game that I love. If you had been playing with me, I would have walked back to them an explained etiquette to them. I actually have no problem with them approaching the tee box, but they should have stayed quite. You would think that if they were good enough golfers to be playing the tips, they would have had enough rounds to respect the game. Sad.
TresPuertas
AG
agsalaska
AG
CCMD said:

If that had happened to me, then I probably would have stayed near the 18th green after finishing to total my scorecard, clean my clubs, and slowly restock my bag with tees, ball marker, etc., just to make them wait.
Where they were standing would have never bothered me.

And if they laughed I would do everything in my power to get money on the next shot, or several shots.
tandy miller
AG
What do yall think about other player giving you unsolicited swing tips on the course?

I was playing Tour 18 Wednesday and ended up with a rando. Standing on one box about to tee off I hear his phone start recording video. It gets in my head, and I proceed to push my tee shot straight left.

He shows me the video to tell me that I'm firing my hips too soon and getting off my back foot too early. (both are correct, and I am aware of both).

Next hole I get on the box and he tells me to try and turn more into my back heel coming back and all this other ***** Hit a worm burner about 40 yards, re-teed and did the same thing. Was hitting 2 off the deck from 330 out.

Downhill from there.
FJB
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I don't give unsolicited advice to my best friends on the course, let alone a complete stranger. Someone wants my opinion on their swing, they'll ask. Until then, I don't say *****
07fta07
AG
That's some weird ***** I'd have ripped him a new one before hitting the first shot.
jj9000
AG
"Unless you get paid to give lessons, I could not care less about your analysis."

Also...this is a perfect time to take strokes from him, and put money on the line.

"You're right, I must me doing XYZ. So, knowing that I have a swing deficiency, why don't we try to even things up a bit. You give me a stroke per hole, and we play for money."
jj9000
AG
BTW...You did the right thing on the course.

These types of scenarios are how golf course escalations occur. I got hit into while I was on the green on a Par 3, and I wish I would have behaved differently.

Cooler heads always prevail.
DannyDuberstein
AG
So now you're on the run for stabbing someone thru the neck with a broken putter shaft and regret that you'll always be on the run now?
jj9000
AG
It was only a flesh wound.

Plus I've got another one.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm guessing you have enough putters in your garage to kill an entire shotgun start's worth of golfers?
jj9000
AG
No Sir. I have a total of (2) putters in the stable right now.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I'm guessing you have enough putters in your garage to kill an entire shotgun start's worth of golfers?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.