Best mental game golf video

949 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Duckhook
Wildcat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My sophomore son was on the cusp of breaking 80 in late July. Now he fears 90 on each round.

I played with him this weekend. The guy knows he's going to be unhappy with the shot before he even addresses the ball. He's full of talent, but a complete head case at present.

I won't get him to read a book on the mental game (I can barely get him to read his assigned books from school). Does anyone have a good rec on a mental game video. A quick YouTube search pulled thousands.

Help!
Aggie_Eric98
AG
You could become Earl Woods
jj9000
AG
Bob Rotella.

Golf is not a game of perfect.

Audio book.
AggieEyes
AG
That's a good suggestion and a fun read.
Coppell97
AG
Golf's Sacred Journey: Seven Days at the Links of Utopia by David Cook.

Should be audio book somewhere. Will transform the mental game. Perfect for what you are describing. Really quick read too.
Wildcat
AG
Please tell me that wasn't the basis for 7 Days in Utopia...positively the worst golf movie I have ever seen.
playeroftheyear69
AG
7 Days in Utopia was a great movie, I thought. Parts of it were filmed out at Boot Ranch in Fredericksburg. Hell of a club. The hole that they have as the "finishing hole" in the final scene of the movie is actually #10 at Boot.
Ag_07
AG
Tin Cup
Coppell97
AG
Wildcat said:

Please tell me that wasn't the basis for 7 Days in Utopia...positively the worst golf movie I have ever seen.
It was. However, the book feels like it has nothing to do with that movie.
Wildcat
AG
I've ordered the book on Amazon, but if my son asks for a belly or chin putter, I will never forgive you.
Coppell97
AG
Wildcat said:

I've ordered the book on Amazon, but if my son asks for a belly or chin putter, I will never forgive you.
Duckhook
AG
I know you're asking for videos, but since you've gotten some book recommendations I'm going to go ahead and give you mine.

"Every Shot Must Have A Purpose".

It was given to me about 7 or 8 years ago. I was a mid to high single digit golfer at the time, and it was given to me by a better golfer who knew I was working to improve my game. The concepts in the book really helped my mental approach to the game, and that has been borne out by my actual play. I'm consistently a low single digit these days, and I know it is in part because of my mental approach. I've recommended this book to other friends as well as for their kids. Short book. Also has some good recommendations for practice routines that takes away the drudgery of just beating balls.

For me, the biggest mental takeaway from the book was to worry about what you can control, and not about what you can't. I can't control whatever happened on the last shot, but I can control what happens on the next shot. We all get down on ourselves sometimes when we're playing, but I think this is an especially important concept for teenage golfers who can easily let one bad thing ruin a round.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.