Grip help

760 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dale Earnhardts Stache
DimeBox17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not a beginner at the sport as I've played off and on for 6 years. Now that I'm playing more, I'd like to start using an overlapping or interlocking grip. I've tried doing both at the range before but after playing baseball for 12 years I can't get comfortable doing it. Is there a drill or way to get a feel for it or does it just take some time at the range?
Hamburger Dan
Put a training grip on a club - even a cut down club is fine. The training grip has reminders for lining up your hands, aligning your knuckles, and your index finger. It's seems simple, but it's a constant reminder for your hand position. Like you, I played a lot of baseball and used the baseball grip. I forced myself to change to an overlap grip, after that I seemed to make progress faster and at a higher level. Changing your grip takes time and patience. Good luck.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Why the desire to change? If your current grip works for you, stay with it. There's hardly a consensus on gripping the club.
DimeBox17
AG
Hard for me to say that a better grip would help me because there are several things I could work on to be better. But I figured it would be a good place to start. I normally just play two man scrambles for fun with friends so I don't know what I would actually score but after playing with various skill levels, I would say I'm a 90 to 100 golfer. Again, I don't get to practice or play much so it may be best to work with my baseball grip.
Thisguy1
For me, locking my fingers helps me with alignment and feeling like the club is just an extension of my body. I know you know my situation, but it felt comfortable to not do it early because of baseball and I thought locking my fingers was the most uncomfortable thing in the world at the time. I finally went from about what you are (seriousness wise) to being really serious about golf and told myself I was going to do everything I could to try to be the best golfer I could be. That included locking my fingers.

I couldn't imagine playing the old way. I don't see how I could possibly work the ball both ways with the old grip. I just think it gives you a lot more feel for what your doing once you get comfortable with it.

By the way, speaking of alignment, the Golf Pride Align grips are a game changer for me. I went from a standard grip built up with tape (it's how I bought the clubs used) to the standard Align and it feels incredible. I was a guy in baseball that would rather have just a single layer of athletic tape as a grip than a thick one so having a smaller grip on the club with a ridge for alignment made a lot of sense. I love them.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I used a baseball grip forever. Eventually changed to an overlapping grip. No secret just have to commit to the change and hit a lot of range balls until it's natural. You do have to accept that you will probably play worse before you play better though.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Same situation as most of the posters above. I've "shoe horned" my baseball swing into what might resemble a golf swing. Which means I used the ole baseball grip up until about 3 years ago. It took some getting used to but I can't imagine going back to the baseball grip. I went to interlock FWIW.

All I can say is that it takes time to get used to. I wanna say I started with my wedges and worked my way up to driver.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.