Shot my personal best after not playing for a year

1,251 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cmarkmat
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I played Stevens Park yesterday afternoon and hadn't previously picked up a club since last September... shot an 86. I typically play bogey golf so that was a significant improvement. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I'm fairly convinced that it was due to me having low expectations for the round and just going out and trying to have fun. That's the best theory I've got.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I always seem to play really well after taking some time off. Not a whole year, but a couple of months or so. I think it's because I'm not trying to replicate everything or fix things from the last time out. Unfortunately, I go back to my errant ways the next time out.
DadAG10
Take 3 or 4 years off and you'll be on the tour!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, sometimes the simplicity after a long break works out for me, where I shoot one of my better rounds. I focus on a few simple thoughts, tend to be more compact, and usually strike the ball well. The catch with me is my short game. It's usually rusty as hell, so when I shoot one of these good rounds after a long break, it's usually because my long game wasn't consistently putting pressure on my short game.
JYDog90
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, sometimes the simplicity after a long break works out for me, where I shoot one of my better rounds. I focus on a few simple thoughts, tend to be more compact, and usually strike the ball well. The catch with me is my short game. It's usually rusty as hell, so when I shoot one of these good rounds after a long break, it's usually because my long game wasn't consistently putting pressure on my short game.

That's been the case for me as well. But the round after that first one? Sucks.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Pepper Brooks
AG
I thought the high would last at least 2 or 3 rounds.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep, that was the exact case for me this past spring.
Poot
I think the lesson here is to treat the 2nd one back just like the first. Think Eric Hyman and "manage expectations."

Obviously easier said than done because my experiences have been like the others in that the second round back tends to suck...
Ag_07
AG
Well luckily there's already a thread for your next round.

F GOLF
Phat32
AG
Had a similar experience at Stevens the other day. Turns out that lowering your expectations naturally can have some benefits.
Tursiops93
AG
Nah....just be ready to accept the 95-100 that is next!
cmarkmat
AG
Swing thoughts after not playing for a year:
I am going to swing smooth and soft, focus on just getting it in the fairway.

Swing thoughts after playing two days earlier:
I am going to crush this, draw it around that tree, carry the bunker, have a low spin rate, and get it to roll out for an extra 30 yards.

There's your ( our ) problem.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.