First Custom Set of Irons

5,758 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tandy miller
Sooper Jeenyus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I'm about ready to upgrade and this will be my first set of customized irons. Which should I consider?

I'm a 7 HCP, which has been trending down this year. Distance is roughly on par (pun intended) with tour average. Currently playing Callaway X-16 pro, tour stiff. Early leaders are AP-2 and JPX-900 & 900 Tour. Any other suggestions?
Mr.Bond
AG
Blades or nothing
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Blades or nothing
I do LOVE the look of the MP-5 and the MB...but, sadly, I don't think I'm quite there yet.
Mr.Bond
AG
Pssshhhh it's all a state of mind my friend
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Yesterday
AG
If you're a 7 then you're ready for MB's. That said I'm partial to the AP2's. Go hit the AP2's as well as the CB's and MB's and you might be surprised.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Will do. I'm even excited about the process.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Mr.Bond said:

Blades or nothing
I do LOVE the look of the MP-5 and the MB...but, sadly, I don't think I'm quite there yet.

Don't count out the mp5's before you hit them

I bought the mp4's and I love them. No noticeable distance loss or accuracy. Butter soft and accurate when struck well
I was a 5.5 when bought
07fta07
AG
I'm a 1 and the CB's and MB's felt like **** to me.

Club technology has come a long way. You don't need MB's to get the feel of a blade from 10 years ago. There's a reason a lot of Tour guys don't play blades. They don't need to. You can play a small cavity and get the workability/consistency in feel of a blade while getting a whole lot more forgiveness.

That's not to say you shouldn't hit them, but being a 7 doesn't mean you're "ready for MB's". Don't get me wrong, they look fantastic, but I think most people are going to benefit from a small cavity vs a blade.

OP, you're on the right track with what you've listed. The TM P770 would also be a good one to hit. I've heard good things about the Srixon's also.
Yesterday
AG
07fta07 said:

I'm a 1 and the CB's and MB's felt like **** to me.

Club technology has come a long way. You don't need MB's to get the feel of a blade from 10 years ago. There's a reason a lot of Tour guys don't play blades. They don't need to. You can play a small cavity and get the workability/consistency in feel of a blade while getting a whole lot more forgiveness.

That's not to say you shouldn't hit them, but being a 7 doesn't mean you're "ready for MB's". Don't get me wrong, they look fantastic, but I think most people are going to benefit from a small cavity vs a blade.

OP, you're on the right track with what you've listed. The TM P770 would also be a good one to hit. I've heard good things about the Srixon's also.

I don't disagree with any of it except the part where there are a lot of tour guys that don't play MB's. The majority do. Of course there are guys like Spieth who don't but they're the exception. I'm a 2 and play AP2's. My point is that a 7 is certainly ready to play a MB if they feel good to him. The difference in forgiveness of a cavity back does not necessarily outweigh the consistency of a muscle back. It's all personal opinion which is why I said to try them. The thought that you have to be on tour to play MB's is just wrong. But to your point the thought that you can't work an AP2 is also wrong.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Lot of good input so far; keep it coming.

Related question: for those using a "player's iron," do you play a complete set or a combo set? Are comfortable hitting the 3 or 4 iron from the turf?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I got fit for my mp4's from the mizuno rep. I did a combo with the 3-4 being the mp-h4's
The cost was basically the same for a 3-PW set for any of the mp line I wanted and how I wanted to split it.

Just need to make sure a different iron creates a big distance gap between clubs.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
If you are ordering through the rep most if not all companies will work with you and it should be the same as they are probably custom built for you.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Also in addition to different iron shafts look into hard or soft stepping. Ultimately go with the tightest spread
Mr.Bond
AG
I have 4-6 in CB and 7-9 in MB

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Also in addition to different iron shafts look into hard or soft stepping. Ultimately go with the tightest spread
To compensate for the gap created from the combo set? Or for some other reason?

I've wondered about this. I know the AP-1 and -2 are on different loft scales; so, do you end up with two 6-irons, for instance? Or, is the answer to had/soft step the shafts?
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Mr.Bond said:

...and 3-4 Vokeys, I'm guessing.

That's how I intend to fill the back end, anyway.
khaos288
AG
Do me a favor. If you're willing to try AP2s, try these as well

http://www.cobragolf.com/king-forged-tour-iron-set

They are so soft, and the forgiving forged style AP2s bring, but I like mine more than I did AP2s
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I'll hit 'em...
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

To compensate for the gap created from the combo set? Or for some other reason?

I've wondered about this. I know the AP-1 and -2 are on different loft scales; so, do you end up with two 6-irons, for instance? Or, is the answer to had/soft step the shafts?
soft or hard stepping just means you can get in the middle of shaft flexes. i went with the x100 dg's but soft stepped so I'm playing essentially a firmer stiff flex. should allow you to dial down to a 1/2 flex as opposed to just stiff or x
khaos288
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

I'll hit 'em...
Sweet, let me know what ya think. Every one that's hit mine loved them, but you never see them out in the wild.
Mr.Bond
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Mr.Bond said:

...and 3-4 Vokeys, I'm guessing.

That's how I intend to fill the back end, anyway.

Correct. 46,50,54,58

Mr.Bond
AG
The black cobra king blades have to be the sexiest clubs I've ever seen

playeroftheyear69
AG
How far do you hit your 6 CB vs. your 7 MB?
Mr.Bond
AG
playeroftheyear69 said:

How far do you hit your 6 CB vs. your 7 MB?

Very similar gaps in my other clubs. 12-14 yard gap

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Any thoughts on the MP-25? May have to demo the whole Mizuno line...
khaos288
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Any thoughts on the MP-25? May have to demo the whole Mizuno line...
I didn't like mine. They were a little too punishing for me.
07fta07
AG
I found the JPX 900 series to be much easier to hit than their traditional MP series. The tours are very similar but much easier to hit.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Update:

I'm actually still in PGA superstore. Fitter didn't bother checking length until I asked for it. Put me in the JPX hot metal right away. Apparently I put too much spin on the ball (~8-9k on a 7i). Tried the project x low launch/low spin. So, of course I picked up another 15 yds with the same club.

Not sure about the HM though. Think I hit the JPX 900 forged about as consistently. A bit less distance. Simulator seems to exaggerate the ball flight a bit IMO. Everything I hit was a fade. I typically don't have that issue with a 7i.

Thoughts? Input on the simulators or the HM? I hit a few other clubs too. Wasn't crazy about the AP2. Really, I like the JPX series but am hesitant to pick a cast club made for increased distance.
khaos288
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Update:

I'm actually still in PGA superstore. Fitter didn't bother checking length until I asked for it. Put me in the JPX hot metal right away. Apparently I put too much spin on the ball (~8-9k on a 7i). Tried the project x low launch/low spin. So, of course I picked up another 15 yds with the same club.

Not sure about the HM though. Think I hit the JPX 900 forged about as consistently. A bit less distance. Simulator seems to exaggerate the ball flight a bit IMO. Everything I hit was a fade. I typically don't have that issue with a 7i.

Thoughts? Input on the simulators or the HM? I hit a few other clubs too. Wasn't crazy about the AP2. Really, I like the JPX series but am hesitant to pick a cast club made for increased distance.

I don't like the hot metals bc the cast feel throws me off. Did you try the cobra forged tours?
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I actually did hit them, as promised. Overall, I preferred the Mizuno.
khaos288
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

I actually did hit them, as promised. Overall, I preferred the Mizuno.

Nice! I generally find people who hit ap2s but never tried the cobras are surprised at how good the feel.

I games mizunos for a long time, and love how their forged clubs feel as well. I just get a little more forgiveness from my cobras so I've kept them awhile.

Edit*** I say wait for the mp-18 to come out. Those are the sweetest looking clubs I've ever seen. And you know they'll feel good as mizunos
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
That's another thing that bothered me. The fitter was discouraging me from hitting any muscle backs or advanced cavity backs. So, I didn't even swing the MP5 or 25.

Also said cast irons were more reliable\consistent than forged...

Seemed to be basing the entire fitting on distance.
Mr.Bond
AG
I'm a 7 handicap and I love blades. I would have told him something had he said that to me. Who's paying him or you? You should at the very least hit them to compare. If the blades aren't up to par then at least you gave them a fair shake

Mr.Bond
AG
And I'm sorry but in my semi professional opinion a single digit handicap does not need to hit cast clubs.

khaos288
AG
Mr.Bond said:

And I'm sorry but in my semi professional opinion a single digit handicap does not need to hit cast clubs.
Yep, I'm a few strokes off, and I can't stand cast irons. I had the taylormade MCs which 3-7 cast, and I couldn't stand hitting them. No feel for misses, and super inconsistent distances. Sometimes I'd feel like I flushed a 6 and it'd be 195, and sometimes the same feeling shot would be 165.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.