Anyone else get to the point they are ready to quit?

2,774 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CuriousAg
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TLDNR - spending a lot of time and money to get worse. This is not fun right tnow

Because I've been awfully close lately.

Can't hit anything right now. Went from scoring 90's occasional 80's last year to ~100 the last three months. The ONLY thing saving me is my putter right now (which is the opposite of last year). Last year I'd have a few holes where everything did and would go wrong (lost ball, 3-putt, etc.) costing me 4-5 strokes a round. Now that's happening every other hole. Even when I hit it solid its right or left, but never where I'm aiming.

I lost THREE ball on one hole yesterday on the way to another 99 (two OB with driver and one OB with the hybrid after my drop) My only chance a birdie was a 25-footer that I hit 10' past the hole and three putted.

On the last three holes I realized I was opening my shoulders at address on the tee box. So I stood up a little, straightened my shoulders and voila, last three drives right down the middle.

Go to range today to apply my 'discovery'....nope, driver decides it doesn't like me again and it right-hard fade, right-hard fade, right-hard fade....except of course the occasional right down the middle. Every other club in my bag was like a foreign object in my hands. Hell, my PW, which I can hit pretty consistently 90/100...fat, thin, fat, thin, blade...shanke....

Just not having any fun right now.

WTF do I do this again?

PS-best part, I went to a Titleist Thursday 2-months ago. Almost canceled b/c I did not want to embarrass myself. Decided to go and hit the ball freaking great. Could not believe it. Guy thanked me and said I was a joy to work with...said he gets a lot of hackers who can't get the ball off the ground and said I hit the ball well. And no, he does not get a commission or even sell my any clubs. He just gave me the specs and I was free to order wherever I wanted to. Those arrived week before last....I could suck this bad with my old clubs.
Yesterday
AG
Sounds like you're in a funk. It happens. Just need to work your way into a consistent rhythm and work your way back. I'd probably get a lesson and ask to give you a couple of pointers, don't re work your swing and see if that helps.

I went from consistently shooting in the 70's to grinding to break 90 and back to shooting in the 70's all within 6 months. It's a weird game.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
Take a lesson, hit the range, and relax. If you're not on your mental game it's going to be hard to play well.
BTD
Don't touch a club for a month.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
BTD said:

This. You are probably trying too hard and expecting too much.
_lefraud_
AG
Start setting goals for yourself. Forget trying to shoot a number. Focus on on a few different parts of the game. Track your round (maybe with the Grint). Set a goal of hitting X number of fairways, and/or greens in regulation. You mentioned your putter, so really focus on not having a single three putt for a round. It can be anything really, just set a goal and try to hit it.

Lately some of my rounds haven't seemed too great, based on my score, but when I enter my round into the Grint, I sometimes achieved something I didn't realize, like having several one putts, or a high percentage of fairways hit.

If not of that helps, take some penicillin.
Ag_07
AG
Sounds like a perfect time to buy new sticks
Chipotlemonger
AG
BTD said:

I nearly quit back in 2015. Injury-related issues sidelined me and I just couldn't hit the ball well at all when I got back into the game. From there I grew pretty disenfranchised and put the clubs up for a good while.

I'm finally swinging again and loving it. The break from playing the game helped. Edit to add: had to do PT, etc. during my golf break. I knew if I could get better again injury-wise I would play again, but for bits and pieces of time I felt helpless to even do that.
jj9000
AG
Ag_07 said:

agracer
AG
jj9000 said:

Ag_07 said:

As I noted above, the n will AP2's showed up two weeks ago....
jj9000
AG
agracer said:

jj9000 said:

Ag_07 said:

Oh...I know...Sounds like a perfect time to buy new clubs.
AggieIce
AG
Don't take as big of a backswing, that will help ~50% of rec golfers
jj9000
AG
BTW...I'm making fun of myself above...not you.

On any given week there might be anywhere from 1-4 long rectangular boxes show show up and leave my house.

The best solutions have already been mentioned above. I would suggest not touching a club for a couple of weeks.

What you're going through happens to every amatuer that plays enough to realize something is off. Hell, man, I sent a ProV1 clean through a guy's plate glass patio door last year. Hit a 150 shot straight right off of the hosel. About 30 seconds later his 5-6 year old daugter peeked her head out of the door to see WTF just happened. I finished the round with about 20 skanky little dribblers to the right.

My point is to not get too down on yourself. Sounds like you're putting a s-load of unnecessary pressure on yourself. I'd take some time off, and let your body forget whatever has creeped into your swing...and head.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
agracer said:

jj9000 said:

Ag_07 said:

So how much you want for them?
Squatch
AG
limited backswing helps me often when I get in a funk.....you'd be surprised how far back you are still taking the club even if you feel like you are limiting your backswing.
aggiedent
AG
I did something last week I had never done in my 30+ years of playing golf......I quit mid-round. At the turn I had my buddy drop me off at my truck, I threw my clubs in, and I drove home and drank a beer.

I have recently made some swing changes. Narrowed my stance, slightly adjusted my weight distribution, and modified the path of my takeaway. On the driving range, I hit the snot out of the ball and dead straight. Managed to minimize my draw. Yet two rounds in a row, I couldn't take it to the course. Last week, after playing the first 2 holes at Cypress lakes in 1 under, I suddenly couldn't get comfortable with my setup. Then I couldn't make a swing. Two over the top tee shots and 2 shanks with a short iron. The most frustrated I have ever been on a golf course.

Last Friday, however, I played much better. Far from great, but made some real progress. It needs to get to the point where you are not thinking about the swing.
White Liberals=The Worst
I have been pretty demoralized lately. All aspects of my game have been as good or better than ever (aside from 1-2 shanks out of nowhere per round) other than my driver. I used to have a pretty powerful, but smooth/relaxed, swing...now my friends say it looks rigid like there's little to no lag. It was even noticed during the Texags golf tourney a few months ago. I used to almost always make solid contact and when straight, was about 280 or so...sometimes 300. Hardly anything feels or sounds solid anymore with driver and I have lost probably 50 yards in distance. It has been hard to enjoy the game because of it lately. Especially when I get paired with a 15 y/o at the muni and he's out driving me (6'3" 220 lbs) by 30 yards.

I have become robotic and forceful and have lost so much efficiency and accuracy as a result. I try to go to the range with the mentality of loosening up and its still a mess, aside from maybe a handful of good solid drives. Ultimately, in hindsight, I don't think I ever really "thought" when I hit driver, I just walked up and mashed on it. At some point in recent months I have started thinking and it's something that seems like it should be easy to shake, but isn't for me. I think I need to take at least 2-3 weeks off, but that won't be easy as I am an addict.

TL;DR version: F GOLF
93MarineHorn
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've spent a small fortune on new clubs and have been practicing a lot for the past month.....and my game has only suffered for it. Every aspect of my game has suffered. I was killing it back in February/March, shooting 70's consistently. I've broken 80 one time since March. I had this same thing happen to me about 6 years ago and I posted on TexAgs about it. For whatever reason, the more I chase it the further away I am.
agracer
AG
Maybe I just need to remember what my instructor told me; "Golf Always Wins".
BESCo91
AG
Yes, I absolutely have been there!

Go to the range and review the basics .... ball position, set up, posture, grip, etc.
Hit only two clubs; your favorite iron and your favorite wood/hybrid.

If able, play a round by yourself and use a scramble format.
Hit 2 or 3 tee shots, choose the best one, hit 2 or 3 second shots, chose the best one, etc.
Once on the green, just putt one ball one time.

Disclaimer: Obviously I would never advocate playing more than one ball unless you can do so without affecting pace of play.
TennAg
I've both gotten out of a funk or two and broken major plateaus by playing only par 3 courses. It's hard at first but you're forced to focus on scrambling. Once you can do that, you can hit the ball like absolute garbage and still be happy with your round. It's incredibly empowering.

TennAg
BESCo91 said:

Go to the range and review the basics .... ball position, set up, posture, grip, etc.
Hit only two clubs; your favorite iron and your favorite wood/hybrid.

Also agree with this, add tempo in too. Golf is easiest when it feels simple.
powerbelly
AG
TennAg said:

I've both gotten out of a funk or two and broken major plateaus by playing only par 3 courses. It's hard at first but you're forced to focus on scrambling. Once you can do that, you can hit the ball like absolute garbage and still be happy with your round. It's incredibly empowering.

I am not a great golfer, but I will either do this, or play a round from the reds. Helps me shake things up.
Larry S Ross
AG
Yesterday. Ready to quit 109 different times. I'm a low to mid 90s typical. Worst round in over a year.
jgh85Ag
AG
Windcrest in San Antonio is usually a good course to play to feel better about your game. Very short par 68, nine hole course. The slope rating is only 106.
jackie childs
BTD said:

interesting advice considering the source
BTD
live and learn....
new golf solution "do less"
Smokedraw01
Nope. I broke 90 for the first time Monday with an 88.
Matsui
AG
is there a general website that shows demo days around the co untry?
OA_02
AG
Spend 80% of your practice time on short game/putting. Try that for a month and see what happens.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Don't do it!!
1-800-273-8255

But in all seriousness, as someone who has trouble enjoying activities that I'm not either A) somewhat respectable at doing or B) at least showing improvment, I would personally recommend stepping away from the game for a short period to let some of the frustration burn off then re-evaluate your approach.

As Einstein noted, repeating the same process and expecting a different outcome is nothing short of insanity.

Good luck! Golf is not the easiest thing I've done.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Ag_07
AG
OA_02 said:

Spend 80% of your practice time on short game/putting. Try that for a month and see what happens.

In

jj9000
AG
It's a recurring short game vs long game ritual around here.

Once every 6 months...at a minimum.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah but it seems like it's been while since we've gone down that road.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Work on nothing but your short game for a month and then quit.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.