Losing your putting touch... Ryan Palmer stats

1,366 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by watty
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love Palmer and am among his biggest fans. Not posting this to criticize.

What has happened to our favorite Aggie's putting ability? It's just completely gone now. I know a few months ago it was talked about that he had a new putting coach (Stockton maybe?) but so far he is only still getting worse, not better.

The numbers are ugly. In strokes gained, Palmer this year is ranked 203rd. They only rank 205 players. That was before this week, where just today he had three misses from five feet.

Strokes gained putting:

2010: 23
2011: 116
2012: 18
2013: 39
2014: 35
2015: 68
2016: 117
2017: 203

The most glaring problem seems to be short putts. Here are his putting ranks inside five feet:

2010: 9
2011: 45
2012: 23
2013: 20
2014: 52
2015: 4
2016: 114
2017: 193

From 5-10 feet and from 10-15 feet, the numbers are similar. That said, he also ranks in the 190s in average putts per event made from over 20 feet. In 3 putt avoidance, which can really be affected by both your long and your short skills, he's like 194th.

So, what gives? It seems the new putting coach isn't helping. I'd ditch him quick if I were Palmer. There should be improvement by now. Meanwhile, he's hitting it as good ever. Ranks 20th on Tour in strokes gained tee to green. So that's encouraging for him I'm sure but also incredibly frustrating. If he were just having an average PGA putting season, he'd be enjoying quite a year. Instead, he's already missed seven cuts, which hasn't happened since 2012 for him.

If it were you, how long would you give a new putting coach if you weren't seeing results and you were in the midst of your best ball striking year of your career?
jja79
AG
He's 112 in Fed Ex points and finished the 2nd round today right on the cut number. He's got to change something.

I realize Jennifer's situation has been difficult, but he's got too much talent to be that low in the standings. We all realize he's not an elite player but he's been much better than this.
White Liberals=The Worst

Quote:

If it were you, how long would you give a new putting coach if you weren't seeing results and you were in the midst of your best ball striking year of your career?

I wouldn't have any coaches. Every once in a while I may go to youtube for suggestions on new drills from other professionals or pick the brains of my peers a bit, but if I was a PGA Tour Pro, I"M the one who should be giving lessons. Not sure why the best players in the world mess with old out of shape coaches who have never been nearly as good as them.

How is some old guy who looks like Wilford Brimley and never broke 72 in his life going to help me if I'm one of the world's best golfers?

(Half joking)
jj9000
AG
If it were me, I would have changed putters in 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017 (probable multiple putters in between).

In all seriousness though...you don't go from teens - thirties range in SGP without something going on.

I know he's still bagging that old school Dual Force Rossie (great putter BTW) with the UST frequency shaft...maybe its time for a putter change?
birdman
There is no cure for the common birthday
oldag00
AG
From watching on TV it seems he gets very handsy during his real stroke. When the timing is on you can putt decent that way. Otherwise it's difficult to be good.

I would recommend he try a jumbo grip. I've seen it help many players including myself.
Yesterday
AG
He's got the yips. Plain and simple. It will be interesting to see if he can climb his way out of it but it's all in his head right now. I bet he can putt great in practice but when the pressure is on the doubt starts creeping in. He could be an above average PGA pro with his distance but his ability to perform well with the pressure on has lost him.
Poot
He's definitely a handsy putter, and particularly the right hand. He's obviously immensely talented and coordinated, but under the gun that's got to be difficult to duplicate.

His practice stroke is almost no hands and his real stroke is almost all hands. It's amazing how different they actually are.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I'd like to think anytime you get instruction - no matter who it is from - things will get worse before they get better. Maybe this is happening, but I feel it shouldn't drag out like this.

Something will click - either a drill or a new putter or new technique. Guys are too good not to get better. Or better yet he could just read TexAgs and win the next 11 majors.

watty
AG
Just 3 putted from 11 feet for a double bogey which ruined what had been a decent round up to that point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.