Pebble Beach

3,254 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by skippytimmy
skippytimmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading to Monterey in a couple of weeks and wanted to play pebble. Any of you have luck getting on, if you are not staying at the resort?

Heard you needed to stay there, and I am not.
BigHitterDaLama
  • Staying there gets you a guaranteed tee time. Per Golf Advisor:

Yes, the green fee for Pebble is $495, which it's been for the better part of the last decade, and it will go up to $525 starting Oct. 1, 2016. There was a time, of course, that it was quite affordable. Back in the '70s, you could play it for less than $100, but that was then.
Of course, the caveat is that the five-bill green fee is just the beginning. There's a requirement that you stay two nights at one of the Pebble Beach properties to get on Pebble Beach if you book it in advance of two days or more. But what many don't know is that you can book a tee time a day out without staying at Pebble Beach.
There's risk to that strategy, of course. If you're planning a trip to Pebble Beach and don't book in advance, you could get there and not be able to get a tee time. But if you're a single, and there are no events the following day, chances are pretty good you're going to get on. If you have a foursome, it's a little more dicey but not impossible.
Your strategy, believe it or not, might be to look toward some holidays. The guys in the golf shop tell me that holidays are usually more open than non-holidays. One of the reasons may be that people assume that's a bad time to come to Pebble Beach. Another reason is that people tend to do non-golf stuff -- family gatherings, for example -- on holidays, which opens up the tee sheet. Plus, it's less likely that Pebble Beach Golf Links would stage tournaments or events on those
Jimmie Dimmick
I've played there several times without staying at the resort. It all depends on how booked they are, but if you are a single, your chances of success are very, very high.

I recommend calling a few weeks out and politely asking that, while you understand their non-resort guest policy is 24 hours in advance, if there is enough availability on the date(s) you're seeking that they'd consider allowing you to go ahead and reserve a time. Your fallback is calling 24 hours in advance. I actually just played there about 2 weeks ago as a non-guest and booked a tee time (as a single) almost 2 weeks in advance with this approach. And it wasn't the first time I've done it. Haven't attempted it as a 4some, but have had success with it as a single and twosome.

are you trying to book as a single or do you have a bigger group?
skippytimmy
AG
Thanks for the insight. It is going to be just me. Heading there with the family.

If anybody wants to join......
Jimmie Dimmick
In that case, your odds are very good. You might try calling now. If they aren't willing to do it, try again in a week. Worst case, you can call the morning before, but I'm betting they let you book something before it comes to that. Their busy season tends to be July to early October, so there is a bit of a lag vs a standard summer busy season.

Keep in mind that they have a 14 day cancellation policy, so if you do book something while already into that window, make sure you're committed. That said, they will let you change the time at any point, just not cancel entirely.
BoerneGator
AG
I got on with a "day before" phone call ~ 8-10 years ago (when green fee was $350/375). How much is caddie fee now for the loop? $100? It's a great experience and look forward to making it again soon!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think the caddy fee $90+ 50-75% gratuity these days. I'd echo pretty much everything Jimmie posted. I travel to SF for work periodically, and when I can, like to extend my stay for a day or so to go play 36 down in Monterey - or at least make it down to Pasatiempo. i've mixed in Pebble 4-5 times now without a resort stay, and for I think 3-4 of those, I had success with calling 1-2 weeks ahead. The other was a 24 hour call ahead.

I got a caddy the first time, but have carried my own ever since.

The coolest expeirence I had there was when I booked a 6:30am tee time (my body was on 8:30 time anyway). I was first off and the next group didn't go off until after 7am. I had Pebble frigging Beach all to myself. Was almost surreal. Anyway, I always go for the early round out there because it can get pretty damn slow since everyone is both sightseeing and playing golf.
The Milkman
AG
If I just paid $500 for a round at pebble you better believe I'm gonna be slow too. It's not like anyone is swinging by Pebble to squeeze in a round after work.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't blame anyone for taking their time, taking pics, etc. i've done it too. Just observing that sometimes rounds can drag out close to 6 hours at times, although I've heard they've worked to push that along.
skippytimmy
AG
do i really need a caddy?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would HIGHLY encourage you to walk, so if you need a caddy to do that, get one. Cart is carpath only, and given the course opened in 1919, it's designed to be very walker friendly and cart unfriendly.

I don't think it's necessary to have a caddy, but it can be helpful the first time around so I'd temd to recommmend it. Most of the holes are intuitive, although there are a few where some guidance off the tee is helpful. I didn't find them particularly helpful on the greens, but some folks do. And some do have some good stories if you are into that type of thing. But for others, they feel like the caddy is a 5th wheel.

So a lot of it just depends on the expierence you are looking for. But as far as, "do I really need one?", I'd say no as long as you are good carrying your own bag (push/pull carts not available or allowed).
DannyDuberstein
AG
This is silly advice, but I saw someone on golf WRX recommend it before I first played it many years ago and it was actually kind of helpful -> dig out your old video game console, put in Tiger Woods PGA, customize a player to your distances, and play Pebble a few times as yourself.
Mr.Bond
AG
No push carts allowed?! That's harsh
DannyDuberstein
AG
Nope, I don't they they are allowed at any of the big 3 - Pebble, Spyglass, or Spanish Bay. I suspect it's a ploy to drive more caddy business, as if they aren't already getting enough of your money. I could see putting restrictions to require wide wheels like some country clubs have - or requiring to rent their specific pull cart, if protecting the course is somehow a concern. I suspect that's not the main motivation for the policy though.
Mr.Bond
AG
That's exactly what it is
DannyDuberstein
AG
BTW, if you have a heavier bag and get a caddy or you have a bag that doen't have a single strap, they'll likely swap out bags for the loop. They have a whole slew of Taylormade lightweight standbags. If you have a heavier bag but want to carry yourself, it would be worth asking if you can check one out. I've seen them loan them out to someone carrying before for free.

And assuming you call ahead vs. show up, they'll ask you if you want a caddy when you call and book your time. You're risking a scramble if you wait to ask for one when you show up for your round.
bagger05
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

This is silly advice, but I saw someone on golf WRX recommend it before I first played it many years ago and it was actually kind of helpful -> dig out your old video game console, put in Tiger Woods PGA, customize a player to your distances, and play Pebble a few times as yourself.
Not silly advice. If you're going to do this, though, make sure that you actually use this to study the course a little. Figure out if you can get into certain bunkers, pick safe lines off the tee, see what's long of every green, etc. Think of the questions you'd ask a caddie and get those answers from the game.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree. It just feels silly to tell someone to bust out a video game, but there is actually quite a bit to learn from it.

The other piece of advice I have is that since it's so old, the greens are pretty small and well guarded by bunkers. Don't get too caught up whether the pin is in front or back and adjusting your club for it. Lean toward targeting a mid depth. It will give you the most margin for error if shots leak even just a little bit. The greens are pretty easy to putt. One of the surprising aspects to me the first time what how massive some of the lips of the bunkers were - it was almost links style punishment. Anyway, there are some holes where they may kind of sucker you in by putting the pin up toward the front middle and it may not look that dangerous from the fairway - it doesn't look tucked or anything since it is technically in the middle (from a left-right view), but it is suckering you into a situation where even a slight miss stands a good chance of ending up in a bunker.
CapCityAg89
AG
For what it's worth, World Golf Tour now has Pebble and while I don't know how accurate THAT mapping is, the one for Chamber's Bay is really good.
skippytimmy
AG
Well, played Spyglass yesterday, played terrible and shot an 85. Really tough course. The first five holes are incredible, but the rest are so-so. Didn't get a caddy, and regretted it.

Played Pebble today, in some rough winds. INCREDIBLE course. Played with a caddy, and really enjoyed it.

Pared 17, and birdied 18 (in front a big crowd) to shoot a 79.

Top 3 golf experience of my life. What a place.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Very nice. Funny you mention the 18 crowd. First time I played Pebble was almost on a whim while on a business trip. I was the first one off early in the AM and alone, so when I reach 18, it's 10:30-11am, there is a very sizeable crowd, and I know I'm the first guy that they are seeing come thru. And again, alone. I'd hit 2 great shots and was on the front edge of the green in 2, but the pin was back and I left my first putt about 6 feet short. So I go from feeling great to getting legitimately nervous about 3jacking in front of all these people, as I'm really feeling the eyeballs. I did end up making it.

Afterward though, I felt like a complete dumbass for being nervous. I mean talk about the first world problem of first world problems.
BoerneGator
AG
I'm J! Too bad the wind was up, but any experience there is memorable! And if a caddy can lower your score 3-4 shots, which they should at a minimum, I'd say that was money well spent! What do they cost for the loop now, including tip? I seem to remember there used to not be a flat fee. It was all left to the player's discretion. Has that changed?
skippytimmy
AG
Caddy was definitely worth it.

For a single, caddy was $90 fee, plus tip. Tip is recommended at $45 TO $70. Would be cheaper for two or four golfers.
skippytimmy
AG
Wind wasn't to bad. 1.5 to 2 club at most.

T
skippytimmy
AG
Still birdied 18 in to the wind.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.