Charleston Recommendations

1,453 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1990AG
gman-79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to Charleston end of June for a wedding. Rented house for 10 days with another couple. Wife and friend both play, but not as red-ass as me. Course Recs for group outings and if I play one day by myself.
Ag_07
AG
Kiawah Ocean Course...You're welcome.

Seriously though its a bucket list course and an amazing experience.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Kiawah Ocean Course...You're welcome.

Seriously though its a bucket list course and an amazing experience.

Here you go gman. Also Myrtle Beach is only an hour plus.... Great gentlemens clubs. You're welcome
Aggie369
AG
ill 2nd kiawah ocean course

if u play at kiawah eat at the ryder cup bar. they have a low country grilled cheese sandwich there that's incredible. made with pimento cheese, sliced ham, and a fried green tomato thats been battered in jalapeno cornbread batter

hominy grill in charleston for breakfast...get the charleston nasty and the grits. their home made jam is awesome. there may be a wait but they have a bar window on the patio for morning drinks of all kinds

Ag_07
AG
Although I will say the non die hards may not want to pony up for the Ocean Course but all of the Kiawah tracks are nice.

Actually in Charleston checkout the Links at Stono Ferry.
AustinCountyAg
less than 3 weeks until I tee off at the Ocean Course.....but who's counting
gigemJTH12
AG
how was it? did you pay 383 per player?
AustinCountyAg
yes I want to say that is what I paid for green fees, then another hundo for tip to caddie......

was it expensive? yes
would I pay it again? yes

Like most people I echo by saying it is more of an experience than just thinking it as an expensive round of golf.

The drive in is gorgeous. Hanging out at the clubhouse and chilling on the back porch enjoying the views is fantastic. It really is a total experience.

In regards to the golf course I loved it. The course is brutal. In a way it presents chances to score, but also it can become very penalizing very quickly. I personally like the front nine more than the back, even though the back gives you all of the ocean views with it being on the beach. Dang near all of the greens are elevated and basically all slope off. I think about that round every week and the enjoyment me and my wife had that day there. She walked the course with us and took pictures. She loved it as well.Needless to say we are considering doing the winter champions package they offer as soon as we get the time. We loved our time on Kiawah. The whole Island is super nice and clean. Beautiful part of the USA.
gigemJTH12
AG
thanks for the feedback..I am definitely considering it. but with it being on the back end of my masters trip...(which I paid 3rd party prices for), its just getting a little steep! haha. thanks again.
Ag_07
AG
Hell your already in for that much what's another 400/500?
gigemJTH12
AG
I talked myself into it over the last half hour. here's my only problem now though...I get to Charleston Tuesday night and I leave thursday morning. so Wednesday is my day there. They only have afternoon times available on Wednesday. I dont want to play in the afternoon. I want to play early and explore/eat/drink all afternoon.

maybe if I call they will have something early that isnt showing up on the website?
Ag_07
AG
I will say that if you want to explore/eat/drink in Charleston I'd lean toward something closer to Charleston. Kiawah is about an hour from Charleston and maybe even a bit more when you factor in the drive back to the Ocean Course.

Just something to take into account if you want to maximize time in Charleston.
AustinCountyAg
I agree. If you're stretched for time and are wanting to do other things in charleston I wouldn't play the Ocean Course. It will be an all day event if you're based out of Charleston for the day. Especially during Masters week. Id expect the course to be packed. It's the kind of thing where to really appreciate the experience you need to take your time and enjoy everything there.
gigemJTH12
AG
thanks for the advice guys. I think I will just make time for a Charleston only trip next year and play Ocean.
gillom
AG
That is on my 'to do' list as well. I've echoed it multiple times but Charleston is great. You will want to go back.
1990AG
AG
For one night while in Charleston. Shrimp and grits at Hyman's

http://www.hymanseafood.com/

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.