Which club do you chip with?

2,707 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sooper Jeenyus
AggieLitigator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Depends on a lot of factors but typically 50 degree, putter, and 60 degree. Used the most in that order.
REMARCH11
AG
All of my wedges are 8 degree bounce and I hit every shot with them. I believe it depends on your angle of attack! If you have a steep angle (like me) you want almost no bounce, if you have a "sweeping" you want medium to high bounce, I would say start at 10 and work back to 14. also, the grinds make a big difference as well.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Can't say I have a single club I use...it all depends on the shot. I use everything from 60 down to 7i. But as I type this, I guess I tend to gravitate to my 56.
powerbelly
AG
REMARCH11 said:

All of my wedges are 8 degree bounce and I hit every shot with them. I believe it depends on your angle of attack! If you have a steep angle (like me) you want almost no bounce, if you have a "sweeping" you want medium to high bounce, I would say start at 10 and work back to 14. also, the grinds make a big difference as well.
You have this backwards. Diggers (steep AoA) generally benefit from more bounce. Pickers (shallow AoA) generally benefit from less.
JarAG2007
AG
Depends on how much green i have to work with like most others are saying...

PW for a bump and run or a long bounce bite shot.

58 degree for high shots with less green to work with. Sometimes i do hood or shut the 58 for a short bite shot. just depends on the lie because some tight lies i trust my PW over the 58.

But what do i know i am a 11 hdcp and to be honest its whatever i feel like in that moment because in the end does it really matter for my game. Just hand be a beer after the shot and all is well.
REMARCH11
AG
Well, for me, and I have very steep angle, I have hit low bounce. Anything over 10 and I blade the crap out of it. My Mirua wedges had 10 degrees and I had 3 degrees ground off of them.

I think it's personally preference and what style of shot/shots you want to play. I have 30 shots (multiple variations of the same) I like to hit. it also depends on what type of course your playing. If I'm playing in Colorado where the fairways are super lush, then I don't mind a little bounce, if I playing Texas hard pan then I want as little bounce as possible. We haven't even started to debate the style of course yet! Are we playing bent grass, poana, Bermuda, what kind of ball are you hitting? Top-Rock, Pro-V1................what's your skill level, are you are a + golfer or mid-high handicapper?

Lots of variables!

Hit'em all and see what works best for you!
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Yup.

I'm a "digger" and play an SM5 52* with a 12 bounce. My Cleveland 58* is low bounce and gets used for entirely different shots. Used to chili-dip the hell out of that club before I figured out I needed a high-bounce wedge.

For the same reason, I don't think I'd be comfortable with an iron fitting that didn't include natural turf.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.