Which club do you chip with?

2,718 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sooper Jeenyus
Sooper Jeenyus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a high-bounce 52* SM5 I use for basically everything <100, including chipping. Think I may try less loft for a basic chip, especially in a thin lie.

What do you use?
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Depends on distance, lie and if i need to carry anything. Anything ranging from a 7i to a putter.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I'm talking about a basic greenside chip. No additional considerations or circumstances. Decent lie, fringe (too much to putt) or light rough.
Mr.Bond
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

Depends on distance, lie and if i need to carry anything. Anything ranging from a 7i to a putter.
jj9000
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

I'm talking about a basic greenside chip. No additional considerations or circumstances. Decent lie, fringe (too much to putt) or light rough.
9 iron.

Toe down...Heel up.

Putting stroke.
Mr.Bond
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

What's the fringe to green ratio? How tight is the lie? How fast are the greens? Where is the pin distance wise from you?

Traditionally I use a sand wedge for a quick chip that doesn't need to release much. A PW or 9 iron is the ball needs to run out a little more. But have used 7 and 8 as well depending on the situation
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
For sake of discussion, let's say the lie is extremely tight and a bit wet. Think of a "winter" round in Houston. You've got 15' of fairway/apron and 30' of green to work with. Putting isn't an option.
Mr.Bond
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

For sake of discussion, let's say the lie is extremely tight and a bit wet. Think of a "winter" round in Houston. You've got 15' of fairway/apron and 30' of green to work with. Putting isn't an option.

Probably a 8/9 iron using the exact same stroke JJ was talking about
Mr.Bond
AG
There's actually a formula you can use to decide the right club. It's something like dividing the paces from ball to green and green to pin while using a putting stroke. I'll think of it in a minute
jj9000
AG
Rule of 12
Mr.Bond
AG
Exactly
Divide Paces from ball to greens edge from paces from greens edge to the hole. Subtract that number from 12.

Example:
3 paces to edge, 15 paces left to the hole...

15 \3 = 5.
12-5=7 (your club selection)

Play this shot with a putting shaft angle and putting motion
ChoppinDs40
AG
15 to green 15 to pin:.. use an 11iron?!?
Mr.Bond
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

15 to green 15 to pin:.. use an 11iron?!?

If your 15 yards off the pin you should be using something with loft. That formula is for chipping, basically 5 yards off the green in most situations
Goose
AG
Mr.Bond said:

If your 15 yards off the pin you should be using something with loft.
...like an 11 iron.
birdman
Whatever club will carry the ball 2 to 3 feet on the green.
agsalaska
AG
If I can get a good roll that will not brake against the brake of the putt once on the green then I will putt them, if that makes sense. That's also assuming smooth grass.

So when I chip I probably use my 54 degree about 75% of the time and tend to adjust the loft in my hand to fit the circumstance. That takes quite a bit of practice but I do it relatively well. Its generally what Mickelson teaches. I wish I was that good at it.

The other 25% are divided evenly between a 60 and a PW. Usually the PW comes out when I am just barely off of the green and am inside 20 feet to the hole. The 60 is obviously for when I need the added loft.

One thing I have always done is I tend to want to land the ball on the green. I also tend to keep the ball in the air longer than a lot of people. I have just found it more predictable.
07fta07
AG
Usually a 50 degree wedge
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I putt when able and practical but am curious what everyone's "standard" chipping club is. I figured anywhere from ~AW to 8i. Some will use all, depending on the shot, some will use the same club for practically all shots (which is basically what I do).

I feel it's the weakest part of my game so I start there when I go to the range. Most of my chips are the 52* but I use the 58* when the shot calls for it. Wondering if the PW (48*) would be better or more consistent for typical chip. Of course, I don't want to be walking to the green carrying three wedges and my putter, not knowin which club I'll want when I get there...
Yesterday
AG
60* nearly every time. Putter the other times.
Mr.Bond
AG
03ki11erAG said:

You chip with a flop shot club?
Yesterday
AG
Mr.Bond said:

03ki11erAG said:

You chip with a flop shot club?

If that's what you call it. I hardly ever hit flop shots but I can bump and run as well as put it in the air with a little spin. I never caught on to the multiple club short game routine. I practice 20 chips from 20 yards and 20 from 30 yards. I deloft it around the green and open it up in the trap. It's my favorite club.
agsalaska
AG
Lots of guys on tour use 60s all over the green for chips. Pretty sure Mickelson does and Woods did in the beginning of his career.
Mr.Bond
AG
agsalaska said:

Lots of guys on tour use 60s all over the green for chips. Pretty sure Mickelson does and Woods did in the beginning of his career.

That's great for Professionals. But on tight lies (extremely common fringes in texas) I would imagine that would be unnecessarily difficult for amateurs
07fta07
AG
I'll agree. If I had perfect grass that made the ball sit up every time like the pros get, I'd probably use my 58 a lot more.
agsalaska
AG
agreed
birdman
Specifically, in the last rounds - I've chipped with 6 iron through 52 wedge and everything in between.

Some of you sound like you are describing pitch shots to me.

I try to emulate Raymond Floyd. His style suits my game.
jman86
AG
9 iron. Go look at Paul Runyan videos, that little guy beat the best with his short game.
Yesterday
AG
Mr.Bond said:

agsalaska said:

That's great for Professionals. But on tight lies (extremely common fringes in texas) I would imagine that would be unnecessarily difficult for amateurs
If I have 3' of fringe at my home course i'm putting most of the time. If i'm using a wedge around the green its my 60*. I'm certainly not immune to a skull or a fluff but it's just the club i'm the most consistent with.
raidernarizona
Odyssey X-ACT Tank Chipper. I took my 5i out of the bag for it.
khaos288
AG
tight lie with no carry required? Putt it

tight lie with some carry? PW

decent lie? SW
agsalaska
AG
I don't worry about taking too may clubs with me to the green. Unless it is obvious to me what shot I will be playing I usually bring my 54 and either my 60 or PW, depending on the circumstance. Sometimes I bring all 3. Not that hard to carry them. Whats the difference between having to pick up one club or two walking off the green after getting up and down?
Poot
Totally agree... I routinely go with 52, 56, and 60... Sometimes even a 9 iron or a wedge. I hate getting stuck with the wrong tool.
93MarineHorn
I'll putt whenever it's reasonably doable, probably more than most guys who have my HC (7). I live in in central TX and most of the time the courses are firm around the greens and the fringe is mowed short. Putting is by far the easiest stroke of all and requires no manipulation of lie angle, grip, stance....Keep it simple and get down in two. If I can't putt I use between a PW - 60*.
CapCityAg89
AG
Tight, wet lie is a hybrid for me unless something to hit over. Then usually 60 - carry as far on the green as possible and err long rather than short.
Larry S Ross
AG
Putt or PW. Seems to be the best chance at having a shorter putt to finish. Still pretty bad with either.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.