BANDON TRIP

13,279 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Swollen Thumb
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I leave tomorrow morning!

Thursday - Bandon Dunes
Friday - Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails
Saturday - Old MacDonald
Sunday - Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes
Monday - Bandon Trails
BigHitterDaLama
First time there?

Enjoy regardless. Such a great place and fantastic service.
claybot
AG
So jealous! Dream trip.

You should check out this place if you have some extra time. A friend shared this article with me the other day. It may be common knowledge but I had never heard of it.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/sheep-ranch-course-bandon-dunes-review
bagger05
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

First time there?

Yeah, my first time. Going with a buddy who has been before.

He and I went to Scotland together a few years ago, and that was an awesome trip, but I'm looking forward to this one in a different way. No traveling. No checking in and out of hotels. We get there, check in, and then it's nothing but golf, whiskey, cigars, and bullsh#tting for four and a half days.
bagger05
AG
claybot said:

So jealous! Dream trip.

You should check out this place if you have some extra time. A friend shared this article with me the other day. It may be common knowledge but I had never heard of it.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/sheep-ranch-course-bandon-dunes-review
This looks bad ass. Looks like a good way to spend an afternoon on one of the days we're only playing 18.
Mr.Bond
AG
Jealous as ****
BigHitterDaLama
bagger05 said:

BigHitterDaLama said:

First time there?

Yeah, my first time. Going with a buddy who has been before.

He and I went to Scotland together a few years ago, and that was an awesome trip, but I'm looking forward to this one in a different way. No traveling. No checking in and out of hotels. We get there, check in, and then it's nothing but golf, whiskey, cigars, and bullsh#tting for four and a half days.
I went in 2014 and 2015. Think you are doing the right thing by playing OM only once (my least favorite). The other 3 I think are equally enjoyable with Pacific being the most difficult. Having also been to Scotland, this is as close I've seen to "like" conditions to most of the courses there.....built on sand dunes, the fescue, wind patterns, green complexities.

Carve out some time for the punchbowl and check out the underground bar at the main lodge. Great spot to watch sports, drink and smoke.

Sidenote - I've met Aggies both times I've gone. So random.
AustinCountyAg
what does a trip to bandon usually cost? I'm talking flight, hotel, golf, etc?
BigHitterDaLama
AustinCountyAg said:

what does a trip to bandon usually cost? I'm talking flight, hotel, golf, etc?
Flight - depends on where you fly into and where you are coming from
Car - if you fly into North Bend Regional (Coos Bay) you can get a shuttle roundtrip to resort for about $60. Medford or Portland, you need a rental and again, depends on # of guys and car type, gas.
Rooms - stayed at Lilly Pond both times and shared a room with a buddy. Think it was $219 per night.
Golf is :
Resort Guest
$250
Resort Guest Replay
$125
Day Guest *
$295

I wanna say both trips have set me back about $2,200 per trip

aggieiniowa
AG
On the days you play 36 holes go over to the 13 hole par 3 course (you won't pay anything after paying for two rounds, at least this is how it was 3 years ago). We played 49 holes back to back and the par 3 course is legit. It is a lot of fun. They have little bags that you and your buddy can throw three clubs in (loser carries the bag for the next hole). Just another way to keep the fun going. Plus they have a bar and you can get more whiskey. Have fun. Punch bowl for money is a must do. Go later in the evening when the drinks are flowing and it is a blast.
BigHitterDaLama
aggieiniowa said:

On the days you play 36 holes go over to the 13 hole par 3 course (you won't pay anything after paying for two rounds, at least this is how it was 3 years ago). We played 49 holes back to back and the par 3 course is legit. It is a lot of fun. They have little bags that you and your buddy can throw three clubs in (loser carries the bag for the next hole). Just another way to keep the fun going. Plus they have a bar and you can get more whiskey. Have fun. Punch bowl for money is a must do. Go later in the evening when the drinks are flowing and it is a blast.

Those waitresses at the Bowl are in seriously good shape.....the amount of times they walk up and down that steep slope bringing drinks down to the groups is insane.
LHIOB
AG
Pacific and Trails the same day is rough. Trails is a brutal walk.

I cant remember if you played Castle Stuart in Scotland but Trails has several walks like between 12 and 13 at Castle Stuart.
Quinn
AG
Damn, wish I was making that trip.
bagger05
AG
LHIOB said:

I cant remember if you played Castle Stuart in Scotland but Trails has several walks like between 12 and 13 at Castle Stuart.

Ouch.
LHIOB
AG
They actually have a cart to help on one hole but its a tough walk.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Costs

We normally stay in the Grove - 4BR Cottages (Summer Rate $1800-1900/night or $475/person)

Round of Golf $275, replay half price. So if you play 6 rounds over 3 days you will be paying about $1,375 in greens fees.

Caddie Fees - Typically pay between 80-100 per bag plus tip I believe cannot remember so for 6 rounds looking at possibly $600 plus tips.

Food - not going to be cheap. Usually $200/person per day, if heavy drinkers add more. We drink alot so add at least $50 a day more

So for a 3 night trip you could easily be looking at possibly $4,200+/person for a foursome at the Grove/Cottages.

Then add on Flights and transportation
Mr.Bond
AG
Ho lee *****.... No Bandon trips for me until the kids are done with college...... Call me in 20 years
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Welp.
BigHitterDaLama
Helps living west coast with flights. Thats how I got my cost down so low.

I also think we got a good rate on our rooms since we had a larger party.
BigHitterDaLama
Mr.Bond said:

Ho lee *****.... No Bandon trips for me until the kids are done with college...... Call me in 20 years
This is a drop in the bucket compared to Scotland
Mr.Bond
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

Mr.Bond said:

Well unless I hit the lotto we ain't going for a while brother
LHIOB
AG
$200/day for food? Where were you eating?
98Ag99Grad
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

Mr.Bond said:

Never been to Scotland but have been to Ireland twice and I no way paid near that much for a week's trip (not counting air fare). Most expensive greens fee was Old Head and it was $350 at the time. The rest were around $150 or less to play. Rooms were alot less too. Kilarney Park hotel is a 5 star place and it was around $200/night. I wouldn't totally rule out an overseas trip, especially with the exchange rate as it currently is.
Doc4rock
AG
Went to Bandon last year. Played old McDonald and Bandon trails first day then pacific dunes and Bandon dunes next 2 days. Want to go back as soon as I can. Would maybe only play one round middle Day and spend more time at punch bowl. The replay cost makes you want to play 2 rounds a day if you go.
ColoradoMooseHerd
LHIOB said:

$200/day for food? Where were you eating?
Basically all meals will be onsite.

If you have dinner in one of the two nicer restaurants the entrees are going to run between $30-50, add on salad, appetizer, wine/drinks, and that mean alone is going to run you north of $120 per person, then you have breakfast and lunch at the pubs or more casual locations and you are going to hit the $200+ very quickly.
LHIOB
AG
To each their own but we never got anywhere near that
ColoradoMooseHerd
My group likes to stay in the cottages - 4 identical bedroom units - all with their own master bath. They have a common living room and kitchen. Great place to hang out if you want.

The rooms are less expensive and lots of guys will do double occupancy on the rooms.

ColoradoMooseHerd
LHIOB said:

To each their own but we never got anywhere near that
understand, everyone has their own tastes. A few of the guys I travel with can be wine snobs, so the wine bill itself can be up there. And if you only eat at the pubs or more casual restaurants the whole time can be much less. But usually we do a nice dinner while there at least one of the nights we will.

And if we hit the pubs, not uncommon for the guys to start ordering high-end scotch or other drinks and the number jumps quickly.

Agreed it does not have to be there, but just want people to factor in possible true costs.
BigHitterDaLama
Factor in Caddies as well, if you are going to use.
Doc4rock
AG
Caddies are a must at least first time you play each course. They were 100 a person per round, and if 4 people play then only get 2 caddies. Would have liked to have had my on caddy.
tamu2009
AG
You can cut those costs in half by going in February. That's when I went and lucked out with weather as that's their rainy season. But hey, it's supposed to be like Scotland right?

I'm pretty sure I went for 4 days played 2 rounds a day and walked out for right at 1500.
ColoradoMooseHerd
tamu2009 said:

You can cut those costs in half by going in February. That's when I went and lucked out with weather as that's their rainy season. But hey, it's supposed to be like Scotland right?

I'm pretty sure I went for 4 days played 2 rounds a day and walked out for right at 1500.
True.

But there is a real reason why the green fees in February are $105.00 and they are $270 in the Summer.
BigHitterDaLama
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

tamu2009 said:

True.

But there is a real reason why the green fees in February are $105.00 and they are $270 in the Summer.
1.) Weather
2.) Summer - you can play 36 in a day, maybe more. So higher rates with a lower replay rate.
tamu2009
AG
I get that. But I'm just pointing out that if you want to go, and can't swing 4 grand there are options.

I couldn't afford it, so I did my research and found that February is great option as green fees are 50% pretty much. We had no problems getting tee times to at Christmas when we booked to play 36 a day and still had some time at the punchbowl. February is the hidden secret according to the locals where you get the price break but have the most chance to have decent weather. I woulnd't hesitate to go back in Feb and my experience was fantastic.
LHIOB
AG
If you REALLY want to have a good time go on June 21st. There is a group that plays all 4 courses and the 13 Par 3 if they can.

Pro Tip: If you have lunch at the bar/restaurant in the main hotel the base of the tables have these little marble sized balls on them. Take your shoes off and go to town.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.