Hogans five lessons

1,489 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag_07
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently read this book, and have a question for you more experienced golfers.

Where do your elbows point at address? I won't add my own thoughts just to see what everyone says first.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
that would depend a little on what club you are hitting
REMARCH11
AG
My elbows are just outside my hips!
jj9000
AG
Hogan's book is unique in the sense that it was written based on his swing and preferences.

Hogan wanted desperately to avoid a hook...and his grip and setup is evidence of this (neutral to weak grip).

If I remember correctly, he wants the inside of the elbows pointed directly at the sky...with the elbows pointed toward your hips.

Now...take a look at the pic above...the left elbow is pointed more toward the target than it is the sky.

Bottom line = there's no one-size fits all answer.
khaos288
AG
jj9000 said:

Hogan's book is unique in the sense that it was written based on his swing and preferences.

Hogan wanted desperately to avoid a hook...and his grip and setup is evidence of this (neutral to weak grip).

If I remember correctly, he wants the inside of the elbows pointed directly at the sky...with the elbows pointed toward your hips.

Now...take a look at the pic above...the left elbow is pointed more toward the target than it is the sky.

I'm desperately trying not to hit a hook right now. I've switched my grip, and my stance up. I think my elbows are next.
aggiedent
AG
Without grabbing a club and seeing, I have not a clue. Never thought about it. I was taught how to grip a club, proper stance, and making a nice shoulder turn. After 30 years of golf, I do the first 2 without thinking. So really the only thing I think about is making a nice turn with a nice tempo. I find in moments of stress or tiredness, I can get a little too much arms only if I'm not careful.

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Recently read this as well and, though I've been playing for 25 years, still found it to be helpful.

I have to say, of all the intricacies he highlights, the position of the elbows is the one that's got you?
khaos288
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Recently read this as well and, though I've been playing for 25 years, still found it to be helpful.

I have to say, of all the intricacies he highlights, the position of the elbows is the one that's got you?
I've been moving things one step at a time. At first I changed my stance towards the hogan placement, and that helped some. Then, I changed my grip, and that helped some. Now after a re-read, I noticed my left elbow is damn near inverted. My left armpit is at the target line, or even slightly facing in. Which is WAY off obviously compared to what Hogan wants.
Ag_07
AG
jj9000 said:

This.

However, I also think Hogan did a good job in expressing that in his book. IIRC he states multiple times that his thoughts, methods, ideologies, etc are just his and meant to be a foundation and/or just a food for thought.

I never got the sense he was conveying that THIS is the way it needs to be.

I took quite a few things away from the book and incorporated them into my swing and they worked great. Helped me a ton. However, I also completely ignored some aspects because they just weren't for me.
CapCityAg89
AG
Knees bent.
Head down.
Finish the swing.

I ain't got no more skull room to worry about my ****ing elbows.
khaos288
AG
I hit some balls at the 9 hole course at lunch. It may be what I'm looking for. I actually hit a cut. It was nuts.
Oyster DuPree
AG
khaos288 said:

I recently read this book, and have a question for you more experienced golfers.

Where do your elbows point at address? I won't add my own thoughts just to see what everyone says first.

It depends on whether I'm breathing in or out when I start my backswing
Goose
AG
To keep my swing balanced, and in perfect harmony at all times: during my backswing I instruct my left elbow to inhale and my right elbow to exhale. Then the reverse on my downswing, left elbow exhale, right elbow inhale. (I don't hit it any longer or straighter, so my follow through still consists of Tourette-style cursing and occasional club throwing.)
Trinity Ag
S
Goose said:

To keep my swing balanced, and in perfect harmony at all times: during my backswing I instruct my left elbow to inhale and my right elbow to exhale. Then the reverse on my downswing, left elbow exhale, right elbow inhale. (I don't hit it any longer or straighter, so my follow through still consists of Tourette-style cursing and occasional club throwing.)
Your elbows breath?

Is this like lava lizards breathing through their eyelids?
Ag_07
AG
Goose said:

Reminds me of this tip

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.