Best site to book flight- HOU to DAL?

3,503 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag_07
Phil Miller.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Flying to dallas next friday. Should I just book through southwest, or are there better options available? When I looked yesterday all of the 3rd party sites had lights routed through atlanta, essentially turning an hour flight into 8. tia
ORAggieFan
You taking your golf clubs?
Mr.Bond
AG
Southwest or kayak
jj9000
AG
Phil Miller. said:

or are there better options available?
Yes.

Driving.

If you do the math...the total travel time isn't all that different.
Phil Miller.
Dammit, wrong board. But yes, I'm taking my sticks. Course recs welcome... Staying near downtown, and will have a small window early sat for a round
Phil Miller.
jj9000 said:

Phil Miller. said:

Yes.

Driving.

I would drive, but I'm in a bind for time as it is. It should save me at least an hour to an hour and a half
Ag_07
AG
It's only 4 hours to downtown Dallas.

The flight is only an hour but by the time you factor in drive time to the airport here, arriving an hour pre flight, getting your checked bags once you land (since you're taking clubs), getting a rental car, and drive time to hotel you're breaking even.

But if you're set on flying go Southwest. Hobby is easy and there are tons of flight times so flexibility is a plus.
Mr.Bond
AG
jj9000 said:

Phil Miller. said:

Yes.

Driving.

I agree with this. 50 minute flight. Shuttle time, waiting for rental car. Security etc. It's damn close
DannyDuberstein
AG
The deboarding, waiting for bags, and rental car is a serious time sink that many don't account for. Unless you have a car service or are grabbing a taxi/uber, you give back a lot of time there. And you're also counting on SWA running perfectly. They do have a good on-time record, but flying them last week, we gave up nearly an hour to a "passenger issue" on the previous flight.

As far as courses relatively near downtown, I might recommend Cedar crest, Tenison, or Stevens Park.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Don't overthink this flight booking thing.

Southwest flies from HOU to DAL about every 15-30 min.

Book directly on Southwest's website and enjoy your trip.
Ag_07
AG
Also keep in mind if doing a rental that the rental car lot at Love Field requires a shuttle to get over there.

It's not just walk up to the counter in the airport and walk out and get your car. The shuttle runs pretty often so wait time isn't a big deal but just the ride over there takes a bit of time.
tandy miller
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The deboarding, waiting for bags, and rental car is a serious time sink that many don't account for. Unless you have a car service or are grabbing a taxi/uber, you give back a lot of time there. And you're also counting on SWA running perfectly. They do have a good on-time record, but flying them last week, we gave up nearly an hour to a "passenger issue" on the previous flight.

As far as courses relatively near downtown, I might recommend Cedar crest, Tenison, or Stevens Park.
I will be dropped off @ hobby and picked up @ love field, so no rental. That should save a fair amount of time. Booked with southwest at 7 am. It's their second flight of the day so hopefully it will be on time.
Mr.Bond
AG
Are phil and tandy miller the same poster!?!?
DannyDuberstein
AG
sock slip up
Mr.Bond
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

sock slip up

Not that creative.... Lol. My sock is either going to be Mr. 007 or Mister007 haven't decided haha
jonj101
Mr.Bond said:

jj9000 said:

Phil Miller. said:

Yes.

Driving.

I agree with this. 50 minute flight. Shuttle time, waiting for rental car. Security etc. It's damn close

Plus there is no Bucee's in the air.
Icecream_Ag
S
Mr.Bond said:

DannyDuberstein said:

sock slip up

Not that creative.... Lol. My sock is either going to be Mr. 007 or Mister007 haven't decided haha
its orange damnit already taken????
jj9000
AG
Mr.Bond said:

DannyDuberstein said:

sock slip up

No.

After sorting your sh*t out today...It's already been decided that you will now be referred to as Baylor Bold Bond.

D-Weed.
Mr.Bond
AG
What exactly did you have to do outside of respond to an email saying "thank you"
Chipotlemonger
AG
To OP:

DRIVE
tandy miller
AG
Won't even be checking a bag now. A friend is going to swing by the house and pick up my clubs thurs when they head to dallas.

I won't be parking, checking a bag, or renting a car.

No way driving is faster
Icecream_Ag
S
tandy miller said:

Won't even be checking a bag now. A friend is going to swing by the house and pick up my clubs thurs when they head to dallas.

I won't be parking, checking a bag, or renting a car.

No way driving is faster
you are invoking the airplane gremlins wrath shorty.
Ag_07
AG
Then just ditch work Friday, save yourself some cash, and ride with them.
Wife is an Aggie
I am still trying to figure out why this topic required a sock account to post?
Icecream_Ag
S
Wife is an Aggie said:

likely caught another ban
tandy miller
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Wife is an Aggie said:

Damn McKayla Maroney

Quote:

They are leaving early thursday morning, as they have business to tend to in dallas. I will be coming in from Louisiana and wont be back in town until thursday night. I am riding back with them though.
Icecream_Ag
S
tandy miller said:

Icecream_Ag said:

Wife is an Aggie said:

Damn McKayla Maroney

Quote:

They are leaving early thursday morning, as they have business to tend to in dallas. I will be coming in from Louisiana and wont be back in town until thursday night. I am riding back with them though.

DannyDuberstein
AG
If I were them, I'd be stopping by Dallas Golf on Friday to sell your clubs for weed.
Goose06
AG
not sure where you live, but driving is far more predictable not to mention cheaper and close to the same time. I used to live in dfw and I frequently made trips to Houston for work and I got to where I never flew because I had to cancel meetings due to flight delays too many times. The drive was about 3.5 hours for me vs:

30 minute drive to airport
1 hour early
15 minutes for "normal" delay
1 hr for flight
30 minutes to get to downtown from hobby or IAH

So 3 hr 15 min vs 3 hr 30 minutes. Pretty damn close.
Icecream_Ag
S
Goose06 said:

not sure where you live, but driving is far more predictable not to mention cheaper and close to the same time. I used to live in dfw and I frequently made trips to Houston for work and I got to where I never flew because I had to cancel meetings due to flight delays too many times. The drive was about 3.5 hours for me vs:

1 hour early
1 hr for flight

he's like 4' tall so he gets kid pricing on plane tickets.
tandy miller
AG
Goose06 said:

1 hour early
1 hr for flight

Well you can knock 30 minutes of that off, as the airport is more or less on the route I'd be taking anyways. And I have flown enough to know that there are a lot of variables and can be delays, but considering that I would have to leave at 5:00 in the morning after driving 8+ hours Thursday, I think I'll take my chances and spend the extra coin to fly
Chipotlemonger
AG
Get off your high horse.

Nowhere once did you mention an 8 hour drive the day prior.

You started the thread, and if that many people are telling you "just drive instead," maybe you should listen or at least consider it. The 30-min of driving you mention will happen no matter which route or method you take.
tandy miller
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

You started the thread, and if that many people are telling you "just drive instead," maybe you should listen or at least consider it.

All I needed to know was where to book, not if I should drive instead of fly. Fwiw I ended up booking directly through SWA. The difference in cost between them and 3rd party sites was negligible,and it's a direct flight.
Goose06
AG
tandy miller said:

Chipotlemonger said:

You started the thread, and if that many people are telling you "just drive instead," maybe you should listen or at least consider it.

All I needed to know was where to book, not if I should drive instead of fly. Fwiw I ended up booking directly through SWA. The difference in cost between them and 3rd party sites was negligible,and it's a direct flight.

If you have flown so much, why did you not know where to book from?
tandy miller
AG
I don't book 99% of my flights. Most of my flying has been for work
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.