Daughter Learning Golf

1,402 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lonestarandi
AGShouse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for advise.

Daughter is taking golf class at A&M next year. She has wanted to learn golf for quite awhile.

Should i buy her a starter set to get going or should I buy nice set that she can use for longer? I am going to get her something soon so we can go to the range this summer and really mess her swing up.

Mr.Bond
AG
Starter set or a used set until she's 100 percent sure she wants to stick with it. If she's in it for the long haul I'd look at getting her fitted into a decent set
Ag_07
AG
Don't get her fitted into a nice set until she has some consistency in her swing.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Don't get her fitted into a nice set until she has some consistency in her swing.

Yes. This should go without saying
CapCityAg89
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Ag_07 said:

Yes. This should go without saying

Not true. I'd suggest custom Golfsmith brand to start then upgrade later. Depending on her physical makeup, posture, etc, she can develop some bad habits to compensate for poor club fit; especially from a box set.
jja79
AG
Get that swing grooved with ill fitting clubs and then when the time comes get fit and go back to square one on the swing.

If she wanted to run track and wore size 7 shoes but you could get a good deal on 6's would that be a good idea until she decided to continue with track?
jj9000
AG
jja79 said:

Get that swing grooved with ill fitting clubs and then when the time comes get fit and go back to square one on the swing.

If she wanted to run track and wore size 7 shoes but you could get a good deal on 6's would that be a good idea until she decided to continue with track?
He should just buy the box set...get the length and lie checked...and move on.
jja79
AG
You get my point though right? People buy clubs on here all the time or on the internet and haven't even hit them.

What does it cost to get fit at a Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, etc? I've always been fit by my club pro and they don't charge.
Mr.Bond
AG
jja79 said:

Apples to oranges
jja79
AG
That was Hank Haney's example a couple of weeks ago on his show. Not mine.
AGShouse
AG
Thanks a lot for all the feed back. It makes since that you would want to develop the correct swing with clubs that fit.

Not expensive, but clubs that fit.

Since I've got those Tuition bills - I have 2 in A&M right now - and as we all know A&M ain't cheap... going to get the economy clubs and if she sticks with it she can trade up on her dime down the road.

Broke Dad, 85'
Mr.Bond
AG
Hanks known for great golf coaching not analogies obviously. Point to the OP (assuming his daughter is of average build and not 6'2'' or something) if I were in your shoes I would buy I stock set for 200 bucks and make sure my daughter was serious about golf before I dropped 1k on golf equipment. Go play with her, spend time on the range. Then Get her lessons, if she makes it through a handful of lessons and shows serious interest I'd invest in a fitting and good clubs. Maybe money is no object to the OP, but that's how I would do it if I were in his shoes
Lonestarandi
AG
I will tell you, who you get lessons from, especially as a female makes a world of difference. I'm from BCS and went through every pro in town until I found the right fit. It's true that men and women just communicate differently. A bad pro can dampen her desire to stay in the game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.