*** Byron Nelson ***

5,569 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieC07
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ricky Barnes with a straight up shank on 17. Time to pull the shafts tonight.
Big Cat `93
AG
Fun fact from the Euro tour: Mike Weir made his first cut in 3 years.
Yesterday
AG
Spieth puts two drives OB on 16 to go from -1 to +3 and most likely will miss the cut. Brutal.
JYDog90
AG
At least you won't have to see those shoes again.
skippytimmy
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Spieth puts two drives OB on 16 to go from -1 to +3 and most likely will miss the cut. Brutal.

Beautiful
DannyDuberstein
AG
Hope JubJub got out there to see him yesterday or today. Poor guy might not be able to get out of bed this weekend.
92TXAG
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

It used to have great fields, and then two key things happened:

1) Byron Nelson died. Many great players played due to his personal invitations
2) The Players Championship was moved from March to mid-May. The Nelson was always the May staple on Tour with one of the biggest purses (if not the biggest) of non-majors. But when the Players moved, it really disrupted the timing for the Nelson.

So I think the hope is investing in a new course which will hopefully be more popular may help revitalize it with the players as well as get the PGA to swing a better date. Just renovating the course, which they did around 10 years ago, didn't work.

^ this...plus AT&T put a lot of pressure on the PGA & the city of Dallas to build a new venue...the funniest things about the new venue are:
(1) it's in the most undesirable part of town
(2) it's built on the Trinity River cesspool
(3) it has NO infrastructure - wait for it, this will be the biggest complaint by the players
- to date, they have the Four Seasons, very nice Villas, rent the 7 figure homes along the course, and have a host of other quality accommodations available adjacent to the course
- downtown Dallas will be the closest infrastructure
(4) far from DFW & Love Field has been difficult to deal with for private aviation
(5) will not have the "quality" gallery that the Nelson has become renowned for at Las Colinas (if you've been there, you know what I mean)

Heck, even the Salesmanship Club will tell you this is all about the sponsor, AT&T, and that they bullied the city of Dallas...yes the same city that sent the Dallas Cowboys to Tarant County...
Yesterday
AG
Stive said:

I've only played TPC once back in 2004.

Why is it so disliked by the players?

From what the anonymous players say during the polls for worse courses, it's too long for a par 70, it doesn't reward good shots very well and the scenery is very bland.

I played with a long time Tour player who has since retired on Tuesday and he told me the wives will be the ones who nip this tournament in the butt once it's moved. Apparently they're catered to hand and foot at the Four Seasons and everything is paid for.

That said AT&T and the Byron Nelson tournament is not stupid. I'm sure they realize what they're leaving and will try to make up for it somehow.
Aggie369
AG
there arent any trees at trinity either.... normally its hot as hell during the byron...no shade for patrons
Goose
AG
The AT&T sponsorship was huge on a number of levels, not the least of which being that their CEO happens to also sit on the PGA's Policy Board...which is responsible for setting tour dates.
powerbelly
AG
Aggie369 said:

there arent any trees at trinity either.... normally its hot as hell during the byron...no shade for patrons

There arent, but I think they will have shade set up around the course.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Anyone with an extra ticket for tomorrow?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Day making noise today.
Harry Stone
AG
Trinity Forest looks interesting but I think its going to flop. PGA players like convenience, luxury accomadations, etc. Far away from airport too, parking is going to be a mess. Im guessing theyll stay in the Omni downtown and commute, but this doesnt look like a smart move. If this was right before the Open Championship, if could work.
birdman
Trinity Forest is about 10 minutes from downtown Dallas. Location is an upgrade from the player's perspective.
powerbelly
AG
birdman said:

Trinity Forest is about 10 minutes from downtown Dallas. Location is an upgrade from the player's perspective.

The wives and players will miss staying on site.
DannyDuberstein
AG
What the players think is TBD. We'll see in a year. That said, not that these guys aren't coddled everywhere, but the Four Seasons always had a GREAT reputstion for how well they coddled them as compared to many other stops.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Actually, more like 2 years, I guess. One year to check it out and the next to register their opinion with their attendance or lack thereof.
Aggie369
AG
i think there was an option written in to move it back to TPC after a year or two
KatyAg01
AG
Horschel's shoes, while stylish, look like they'd be best paired with a zoot suit. I think he should only wear them with pinstripes, a vest, and a tie.
AggieC07
AG
I was playing golf with a vet who used to work security for the club called Avenu on McKinney Ave, he said that a bunch of tour players (from both tours) would always go hit up Avenu.

Thought it was a pretty interesting revelation.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.