*** Byron Nelson ***

5,570 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieC07
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone headed out there this week? I haven't been since about 2008, but am thinking about going on Friday and taking my daughter if the rain isn't coming down. Anyone ever taken a stroller out there? Does everyone take the shuttle and ride or is there a better parking option? It actually looks like a solid field this year, at least compared to prior years. Too bad that Si Woo Kim pulled out after his win at the Players.
FTAco07
AG
I'll be there Friday afternoon and all day Saturday weather permitting. After last year's monsoon disaster I was really hoping we would have good weather for the final year at the TPC.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I should be out there Sat or Sun.

DJ is playing, which will be fun.
Gladiator 96
AG
Trying to go either Thursday morning or Friday morning. Waiting for tee times to be posted to see who I want to follow. Making it an annual tradition to go at least one day out of the four now.
JR Ewingford
Saturday weather permitting.
_lefraud_
AG
Headed out Friday afternoon, and again Saturday. Maybe Sunday.
AggieC07
AG
I think 4 of the top 6, appears to be one of stronger fields in sometime.
TexasAggies06
AG
Thinking about going out Saturday and/or Sunday. I haven't been before so figured I'd try to catch the last year at TPC. If anyone has any recommendations for where to park or best places to see some good action on the course I'd appreciate it too.
Gladiator 96
AG
There is a large open free parking area located at Loop 12 and Highway 114 just off of IH-35. Complementary shuttle from there to TPC. Signs should point you to it. I have used it every time.

I have always walked the rounds when I have been there, but 17th hole (Par 3) is probably the most exciting place to watch if you are staying in one spot. It has a stadium-like setup.
Quinn
AG
Tee Times

Feature Groups
Quote:

Thursday
Brooks Koepka (14), Jason Dufner (57), Ian Poulter (58). Dufner won here in 2012, draining a 23-1/2 foot putt on the final hole. Koepka lost in a playoff to Garcia last year. Poulter is making the most of his recent exempt status change, coming off a tie for second at THE PLAYERS Championship that elevated him 117 spots in the world rankings.

Tee time: 8:40 a.m. ET.
Jordan Spieth (7), Brandt Snedeker (43), Matt Kuchar (52). Spieth's best result in his hometown event remains his first one, when he finished tied for 16th as a 16-year-old, having entered the final round in contention to win. Kuchar generally plays well here; his solo third last year was his third-top-10 finish in his last six starts at TPC Four Seasons. Snedeker's tie for sixth last year was his best here.
Tee time: 8:50 a.m. ET.

Friday

Dustin Johnson (1), Louis Oosthuizen (32), Cody Gribble (47). While Johnson, the FedExCup points leader, hasn't won in his last two starts after reeling off three straight wins, he's still playing well, as he tied for 12th last week at TPC Sawgrass. He's also played well at TPC Four Seasons, with six straight top-20 finishes, including four top 10s. Oosthuizen was in contention last week at THE PLAYERS, finishing tied for second. Gribble, another Dallas native, is making his second start here.
Tee time: 8:40 a.m. ET.
Sergio Garcia (13), Patrick Reed (84), Jason Day (106). Garcia and Day are past winners of the AT&T Byron Nelson; Day won his first TOUR event here in 2010 and followed with two more top-10s. He's making his first start here since 2013. The Texas-born Reed is also playing here for the first time since 2013. Garcia is the only multiple winner of this event in which both wins were at TPC Four Seasons.
Gladiator 96
AG
I'm going Thursday morning to follow Spieth, Sneds, and Kooooooch!
Aggie369
AG
be there sat and Sunday

playing cottonwood Friday with my buddy... didn't know they weren't playing it this year...its been 12-14 years since I've played it. looking forward to a good weekend!
Turf.Ag13
AG
They haven't played any rounds on Cottonwood for many years now
Aggie369
AG
ha! shows what I know

I'm from the area and used to go every year... didn't know they had stopped playing cotton wood.

I went every year from 2000ish to 2007
EKUAg
AG
Spieth has a new putter in play. Face balanced Scotty.
investorAg83
AG
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jordan-spieths-dallas-themed-shoes-for-the-byron-nelson-scream-texas-forever/amp
AustinCountyAg
investorAg83 said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jordan-spieths-dallas-themed-shoes-for-the-byron-nelson-scream-texas-forever/amp

Those shoes are freaking terrible
REMARCH11
AG
investorAg83 said:

I agree, those are pretty awful!
AgLA06
AG
REMARCH11 said:

investorAg83 said:

I agree, those are pretty awful!

Looks like something any ese at the mall could air brush.
Yesterday
AG
Gary McCord* is on a roll today. He was calling Jason Day's shot off the cart path and it went something like this.

"He's got about 30 yards. He has to go under a tree. Over the hill. He's on the asphalt and his shirt is way too tight. No way he gets this on the green." And then Day put it to about 10 feet.

He can be annoying at times but we need color in this game.
Mr.Bond
AG
Forgive my lack of knowledge on the matter but why is the tournament leaving the venue?
Tree Hugger
AG
The course is rated very low by most PGA players, hence never any real big names here that aren't Texans.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It used to have great fields, and then two key things happened:

1) Byron Nelson died. Many great players played due to his personal invitations
2) The Players Championship was moved from March to mid-May. The Nelson was always the May staple on Tour with one of the biggest purses (if not the biggest) of non-majors. But when the Players moved, it really disrupted the timing for the Nelson.

So I think the hope is investing in a new course which will hopefully be more popular may help revitalize it with the players as well as get the PGA to swing a better date. Just renovating the course, which they did around 10 years ago, didn't work.
Gladiator 96
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

I'm going Thursday morning to follow Spieth, Sneds, and Kooooooch!
This was a fun group. Highlight of my day was standing right behind Spieth on 14 as he threaded the needle between some close packed trees, over water to behind the green. He made bogey but it was a gutsy shot.
Mr.Bond
AG
Tree Hugger said:

The course is rated very low by most PGA players, hence never any real big names here that aren't Texans.

Pretty solid field this year. Guessing because it's the last time
Goose
AG
Got to help look for Brooks Koepka's ball in the deep...Deep!...rough well left of the 9th fairway, and after it was found, and he'd checked it to make sure it was his, with his hand about 8 inches above the ball, a big rat jumped out of the grass, went right over his ball, and scurried off never to be seen again. I was about 5 feet away, but it scared the **** out of all of us in the area. Pretty damn funny.
Stive
AG
I've only played TPC once back in 2004.

Why is it so disliked by the players?
FirefightAg
AG
I'll be out there today. I volunteer every year for EMS. Don't do a whole lot and get to see golf the best way possible, on a bike with access to anywhere just about.
Big Cat `93
AG
Hard to believe Bowditch won this thing 2 years ago. Probably pretty hard for him to believe it.
Goose
AG
Big.Cat-93 said:

Hard to believe Bowditch won this thing 2 years ago. Probably pretty hard for him to believe it.
Followed him and his group on holes 10-18 yesterday (his first nine) where Bowditch shot 44. It was ugly. But on 16 it got really ugly.

After his first tee shot landed in somebody's pool (well right of the fairway) his second tee shot missed us by a few feet while we were standing at the rope on the left side of the fairway. And it barely missed us; heard it whistle by on the fly and hit with a thud about 10 feet past us. Never heard anybody yell fore, but it's sort of understandable since we were almost 300 yards away and the wind was blowing like crazy. Even if they did yell I doubt we'd have heard them.

But what was really surprising/disappointing was his next shot: There was a group of 3 people about 40 yards ahead of him, well inside the ropes up on a hill near a bunker (tournament people, not other players) and maybe 10 yards off his target line to the right, and homeboy (clearly very frustrated) hits driver off the deck and as expected misses them by about 10 yards. They duck and cover after they hear the ball go by, Bowditch walks right by them headed to his ball, and the caddy has to do all the apologizing. It was a total dick move where somebody could have been seriously hurt. So while I was sort of pulling for him to get it together before, after that I hoped he'd shoot 110 when it was all done.
Mr.Bond
AG
Bowditch makes me believe had i actually applied myself and trained hard in high school I could have been a decent pro am player.......dude just throws up wild numbers week to week with random decent tournaments once a blue moon
Big Cat `93
AG
Oy vey.
jj9000
AG
If they're 10 yards off his target line...they're too damn close.

My expectation is for folks to know they're role as spectators.

If the dude is hitting Driver off the deck...move back...or accept the inherent risk that goes along with watching a shot while standing 10 yards off his line.

If he hits someone...the polite thing to do would be to apologize.

To 'almost' hit someone who is 10 yards off of where someone is aiming.

C'Mon Maaan.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It partly depends on how quickly he rolled up to hit the shot. If you are very far away at all, it can be tough to tell where he ended up - especially if he missed the fairway. So if a frustrated player rolls up, just pulls a club and smashes one right away, then he didn't exactly give them time to move.
Goose
AG
These folks weren't spectators, they were inside the ropes, standing on the course next to a bunker. Scorers, microphone holder lady, etc. And Bowditch, clearly frustrated, took all of 20 seconds grabbing his club, lining it up, and taking his swing. They never even knew he was about to hit. I don't even think his caddy thought he was about to go ahead and hit. Would have taken all of 30 seconds to give them a heads up and had them move, but he was too wrapped up in his meltdown for that courtesy. I've been to plenty of PGA tournaments to recognize this as the dick move that it was.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.