Austin Golf Course Options

1,749 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by the dude10
AverageAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A few buddies of mine are meeting me in Austin Memorial Day Weekend. They narrowed their choices down to three courses, and asked me to pick one. Never golfed one Austin and wanted to get yalls opinion! Thanks guys.

River Place
Star Ranch
Falconhead

What say you?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
River Place is a fun one. It's short, but really makes you plan out your tee shots.

Star is a fun track and I've played it a ton, but it's very easy. Especially if you play whites. Short and wide open. Not as nice of views as the other two since it is on the East side.

Falconhead is not bad, but not worth the price IMO.

River place would be my Rec.
AverageAg
AG
Awesome! Solid feedback, I really appreciate it!
CapCity12thMan
AG
Riverplace - shorter course and almost every approach shot is over either a canyon or water of some sort. Very hilly and you don't hit driver a lot and when you do the fairways are unreasoably narrow.. Personally I don't like it.

Star Ranch will give you some good variety and is the better bargain of the three for sure, but not as scenic as the other two.

Falconhead (my home course) I will recommend as one that is not tricked up like RP and not as boring as SR. You can find online deals for Falconhead that get the price down but I do agree that prime rates of $80+ is indeed overpriced. Typically the price drops at 3:00 to $59, from $89. It's a $60 course, not an $80 one.

If you are considering RP, see if you can get on Twin Creeks. 5 minutes away and I think a great course.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I'm playing in a tournament at Star Ranch on Monday, will try to remember to report back on conditions.
the dude10
AG
Tony Franklins Shoe said:

I'm playing in a tournament at Star Ranch on Monday, will try to remember to report back on conditions.

Please do. Full disclosure, I am the superintendent. Honestly though, I love to hear about things we could focus on to improve our facilities. We have been very busy doing a lot of in house projects to spruce up the look and keep the continuing development around the course from detracting from the experience too much. Despite using a lot of labor hours on that, I believe the conditions are as good as ever. Please do report back with an honest opinion.
jgh85Ag
AG
Just mow the right side rough short and Tony will love you.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
River Place
93MarineHorn
If you want to have fun and play a more forgiving course you should play Star Ranch. It is almost always in very good condition and also has excellent practice facilities. The whites are very easy so you should hit from blues if you guys are reasonably long off the tee. Falconhead would be my #2 mostly based on price, it's very nice but expensive. RP is too narrow and short for my taste. You will be frustrated a lot.
the dude10
AG
Obviously I play star ranch all the time, and can attest it is very forgiving. Due to always playing here, my handicap has dropped all the way to 6.0. When I take that handicap to a course with some trees on it that doesn't look so inviting from the tee I have trouble scoring. I hit driver long but not particularly accurately. Out here that is no problem and you almost always still have a shot at the green. Avoid OB and you should have a fun, low scoring round.
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Just mow the right side rough short and Tony will love you.
A pox on you. We are playing in a scramble so I don't care at all where my tee shots end up, I won't be the long hitter.
AG
I'll try to remember to ask for you unless you are out on the course somewhere working.
the dude10
AG
I will probably try to get the fairways sprayed with growth regulator before the tournament tomorrow. If you post your starting hole here I will try and stop by to say hello
AG
Sorry, didn't get a chance to shout out, but might have seen you as we started on #7 maybe.

Overall, very nice range area, good chipping greens. As for the course, very, very good shape in my opinion. Extremely well maintained, no over watering or under watering. Like the variability of the greens both large and small with many good pin locations, all rolled really well. Never had to hit out of the bunkers but they were the only concern, some crusty sand in some areas but I'm nitpicking now. I'd love to play rounds there if I lived in the area since the tee locations could really high-lite different approaches to holes.

It has some pretty open holes and some with either water or woods down the side so you really can't spray it all the time, you do need some control, but it doesn't kill you either on the wayward shot.

It was pretty windy so that made some holes uber long but also gave you some distance at other times.
the dude10
AG
Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed it. You definitely caught me on the bunkers, knowing it was a scramble we didn't rake that day. The main defense of the course is the wind, and it blows strong almost every day. I appreciate all of the kind comments, we work very hard to keep it in great shape even with a lot of rounds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.