What's up with Briarcrest?

2,422 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by KidDoc
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I played Briarcrest for the first time since probably last summer. I'm not exaggerating when I say Bryan Muni may be in better shape.

I always felt like their tee boxes were pretty bad, but it was if they weren't allowed to water out there anymore. Usually they just looked like they hadn't been mowed. Now you struggle to find grass and can barely get your tee in the ground.

The greens were as rough as I've ever seen them. Our entire group didn't have to fix a divot the entire day, and it wasn't for lack of hitting the green.

The clubhouse though...impressive. Sooner or later they're just going to close the course down and just have a bar.
Lonestarandi
AG
Oh haha you mean Phillips event center. It's a shame, grew up on that course but it's never been the same since Miramont and Traditions opened. The wealthiest jumped ship and without them there with voting rights it's gone downhill. You're right they'll focus on events with alcohol to keep it afloat. I'd be surprised if the course closed, but it'll continue to deteriorate. The campus course make over also did not help.
CTGilley
AG
It is in terrible condition.

I played yesterday and it was much worse than last week.

Today I get my statement from them and there is a note stating:

"EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY:
We will be allocating additional funds to improve the condition of the course. While the additional funds are needed and will help tremendously, other action is required to improve the state of the course. A 90 degree cart rule should be followed at all times. Golfers should exit the cart path and enter the fairway in designated and or appropriate areas. Thank you for your help, and we look forward to better conditions soon."

We will see what happens.

They rarely have a marshal and lots of people drive right up to the greens. I think staffing and drainage are their two biggest issues.
Thisguy1
It's awful. We stopped keeping score yesterday after the second hole and decided to just play because trying to keep a score was just going to frustrate everyone. My brother even stopped bringing his putter up to the green.

I've never understood how they've never been able to have at least decent tee boxes. It's always been a problem out there. I've never liked the greens, but yesterday was as bad as I've ever seen them.
Ragoo
AG
used to be a member in college. short course, target golf. lived over near there too and on cloudy or full moon nights i'd play 6-7 in the middle of the night barefoot.
Lonestarandi
AG
I've played barefoot golf out there many times. Wouldn't dare do it these days.
DimeBox17
AG
Played there yesterday and played municipal on Sunday. Muni has it beat
KidDoc
AG
Any updates on this course lately? THinking of playing 9-18 ish with my wife Wednesday afternoon at 3 or so. Nice cool front this week.

How are the greens? Weekday crowds?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thisguy1
All depends when you play. It's gotten much better from this summer when I last posted about it.

They just did (or are currently doing) a ton of work on the trees on the course.
hot dog
AG
I've played four times in the past month. Course is in fine shape, you won't have any issues with the condition. No idea about pace of play on weekdays.
KidDoc
AG
We had a great time yesterday on this course in the perfect weather. Some of the tee boxes were a bit hard and weedy but overall I think this is my favorite course in Aggieland so far. Now we are first year golfers so we aren't very good so take my review with a grain of salt.

Lots of nice hills, fun dog leg turns that are challenging, tons of squirrels all over the place, and of course the bar area is very nice. The bunkers are bit sand packed but not too bad. The greens were in great shape and pretty fast with much fewer pock marks than the Campus course. I like that many of the tee's have a bit of a gamble aspect were you can lay up or try to make it over a hazard at the 200-250 yard range.

Anyway just giving a thumbs up for this course at the moment we will be back!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.