Golfers elbow

2,829 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TechPracAggie
EKG1996
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody have any advice on how to deal with Golfers elbow. Had it for a few weeks in right elbow and still lingering.

Icecream_Ag
S
EKG1996 said:

Anybody have any advice on how to deal with Golfers elbow. Had it for a few weeks in right elbow and still lingering.

pull with you left arm.

have you tried a tennis elbow brace or some sort of magnetic brace?
jj9000
AG
EKG1996 said:

Yes.

AeroTech SteelFiber or UST Recoil shafts.
CTGilley
AG
It will linger for months. I used a brace and tried to limit how much I played. Also try to take shallower divots.
powerbelly
AG
jj9000 said:

EKG1996 said:

Yes.

AeroTech SteelFiber or UST Recoil shafts.
I knew you would have an equipment solution.

FTR I agree.
AggieLitigator
Go get anti inflammatory shot
Cen-Tex
AG
Stretch the forearm muscles before playing and periodically during the round. Take anti-inflammatories, ice the elbow after playing, lay off for a while. Also, go see a pro to help you w/your swing...you're over using your trail arm. I had to have surgery on my elbow and it could have been prevented if I would have just change some small things in my swing.
sweet greggo
AG
I have a set of mizuno 850 forged with the steel fiber i95 shafts if you are interested.
TresPuertas
AG
I had it for about 6 months. There wasn't a thing I could do about it and I tried a lot of things.

I think you're stuck.
tuaca93
AG
jj is correct...I switched to recoils & haven't had a problem since. (Prior to switch--I avoided swinging a club for a few weeks to allow time to heal...)
Aggie_Eric98
AG
RICE treatment can be hit or miss. I have only had one really bad case of it and it came from a lot of practice I did during the winter when my club was on mats. I did RICE and have not had a problem since.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
EKG1996
AG
Thanks. I tried to rest it but almost impossible. Even if didn't swing a club for my months not sure it would help much since those muscles and tendons used so much on a daily basis.

Trying out a brace today to see if that helps.

Maybe anti inflammatory shot is on the to do list if I play today and it is worse.
AggieLitigator
EKG1996 said:

Thanks. I tried to rest it but almost impossible. Even if didn't swing a club for my months not sure it would help much since those muscles and tendons used so much on a daily basis.

Maybe anti inflammatory shot is on the to do list if I play today and it is worse.

Go get one and take a week off. You'll be good to go next week.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Lateral Epicondylitis in the elbow, also known as "Tennis Elbow" is a micro tear of tendon region.

Aint nothing you can do about it until it heals. Could be 4 weeks to 12 weeks.

Nothing better than rest.

You keep damaging it...you may need surgery, and you don't want that.

Take a break.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
EKG1996 said:

I get tendonitis some times when I don't pay attention and do some repetitive activity that flares it up. I put on the forearm brace all day, every day for a few weeks and it gradually goes away.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Pressure strap worked well for me. No pain as long as I wore it every round.
79TAMU79
AG
Been struggling with what I thought was golfers' elbow for three months. Hurts like heck in my left elbow and did not play. Well... went to Dr on Monday. X-ray shows bone spur and calcium buildup due to arthritis. Next stop is the ortho doc to set up surgery. Point being that I should have gone to the Dr three months ago.
Getting old is the pits!
cablinaggie
AG
EKG1996 said:

So did it work? I've either gone to the range or played 7 out of the last 8 days and a couple days ago I started having slight discomfort whenever I try to straighten my left arm on the outside of my elbow. Doesn't hurt too much when I swing, but it definitely doesn't feel normal.

I'm thinking of getting the anti-inflammatory shot, I can't not swing a club for weeks.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Get a forearm brace and wear it before considering shots.
Hanrahan
AG
Ugh its the worst. I had my first and only bout with it a few months back. It was awful.

I went and saw a good sports medicine guy here in Austin who worked my arm over hard! It hurt so bad, I really wanted to punch him in the face, but it worked after two sessions a week a part.

I also did some of the theraband exercises (google it) and it all seemed to help. The master of pain also told me to be diligent about not sleeping with my arm raised up above my head at night, which I did all the time. He said that can really make it flare up in a heartbeat. Following that advice and not doing anything else other than play a ton of golf, I haven't (knock on wood) had any more issues. Good luck.
Hanrahan
AG
Oh I also had a brace. I found that just masked the pain while wearing it kinda rather than help do anything about it. I havent touched it since getting the treatments and resting it (from golf at least) about two weeks.
Goodest Poster
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Lateral Epicondylitis in the elbow, also known as "Tennis Elbow" is a micro tear of tendon region.

Take a break.

He said Golfer's elbow. That's medial epicondylitis and can be quite different than the lateral side in symptoms amd treatment. However, it is tendenosis, so rest is great advice. RICE method with some NSAIDs as well.

As far as advice on how it affects your golf game plus treatment- go to mytpi.com, look for the closest M2 or M3 medical professional in your area. Someone with Physical Therapy strength would be my recommendation. Dont want to suggest much else without evaluating the problem.
Listen to your body though, if it hurts like a B..rest it. Or you can do what I did with my shoulder. Play like hell thru the nagging pain until it gets destroyed-ensuring you need surgery. Takes the guesswork out.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Quit beating off so much. HTH.
cablinaggie
AG
Can anyone recommend a good sports medicine doctor or orthopedist in the Northwest/West Houston area?
Goose
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Take a break.
The key being to take a long enough rest to let it actually heal. It'll feel better under normal conditions in 2-3 weeks, but if you go to the range to test it it'll almost certainly aggravate it and/or rehear. Figure out how long that is (6-8 weeks more than likely) and put your clubs in the attic until then.
cablinaggie
AG
Still struggling with this. Went to a sports doc two weeks ago, got the cortisone shot and a steroid pack ( Cadista) and it felt better for a little while. But it's hard for me to not at least work on short game and I think even just the half swings have stunted recovery.

This sucks
Obi Wan Ginobili
Have any of you tried not being so old?
TThom
I'm a PA and worked in Orthopedics, mainly upper extremity for a long time. Strangely we saw more golfers w tennis elbow and vice versa for tennis players. Absolutely agree w the stretching, NSAIDs (Mobic, Feldene or Diclofenac), occasional steroid packs and if that's not working consider a cortisone injection (preferably by a surgeon or ortho PA). We only operated on a few really refractory cases and basically carved out the chronically inflamed tissue. Not sure if it was the surgery or the required rest that actually made them better. 2 other things to consider are getting a referral to a Certified Hand Therapist occupational therapist and PRP injections. PRP may be a little voodoo but there are pretty good case studies on it helping for tennis elbow. However, usually insurance doesn't cover it. I'd be happy to give the name of a few good docs in the Houston area for those interested
Goodest Poster
AG
cablinaggie said:

Still struggling with this. Went to a sports doc two weeks ago, got the cortisone shot and a steroid pack ( Cadista) and it felt better for a little while. But it's hard for me to not at least work on short game and I think even just the half swings have stunted recovery.

This sucks

Do you or OP do any water skiing or wake boarding? In addition to the above, those things are killers.
Oknows
AG
Look up Theraband on google/YouTube etc. Bought one on Amazon for $12 and it has worked amazingly. Specifically designed for tennis and golfer elbow. Thank me later.
cablinaggie
AG
No water skiing or wakeboarding, just golf and workouts on M, W, F although I haven't taken a full swing in about 5 days in hopes this would heal. Playing golf in Omaha this weekend prior to our Sunday game.

CCMD
AG
Been there. Best advice is to take a break for several months.
TechPracAggie
Armaid, it took me about 2-3 weeks of daily massage 3 times a week to completely resolve it.

https://www.armaid.com/store/products/18-43/armaid-package
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.