Painting/Refinishing a putter

4,851 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Icecream_Ag
TheGreatScott12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently picked up a Scotty for cheap and was considering trying to customize it or refinish it myself. I've read numerous articles on this, but never really gotten the insight or tips I was hoping for. I feel like I've seen some guys on here who have done it. Would y'all recommend trying to do it myself or is it a bad idea? In the past year I've gotten into regripping, changing length, and weights of my irons myself and really just enjoy tinkering with my clubs. Customizing the putter is just another project I'm interested in taking on.

Thanks in advance..
Ag_07
AG
I'd say try it on a crappy old putter from a garage sale or something.

You may regret trying it for the first time on a Scotty.
jj9000
AG
Bond should be able to give you some sound advice.

His 'custom' Newport 3 looks bad@ss.
TheGreatScott12
AG
Ag_07 I completely understand where you are coming from with that idea, but I have a couple Scottys and am not too worries about regretting any customizations. End of the day if I hate it I can just take some acetone and start over with a blank canvas.

jj9000 I would love to hear from Bond on his experience. I believe he was the guys with the insane backyard set up as well? Maybe he can help me with the Scotty and my current backyard setup lol.
BigHitterDaLama
doing paintfill is not difficult (just get the right paint).

If you are looking to get rid of dings and nicks, smooth the head, and completely re-finish the head, then yes, try on a cheap-o first few times.
TheGreatScott12
AG
So here is a good question in relation to that. I am not so much worried about filling or correcting dings (the putter is in pretty good shape), but I was wondering, beyond paint fills, is it possible to alter the look of the putter as far as color of the entire head/face? All the articles I have read are just paint fill related.
jj9000
AG
Or...just send it to BOS.

http://bosgolf.com/

Mr.Bond
AG
jj9000 said:

And its not baylol
BigHitterDaLama
Some pretty good DIY techniques on golfwrx. Google it.
Icecream_Ag
S
Mr.Bond said:

jj9000 said:

And its not baylol
damn there goes our fun
jj9000
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Mr.Bond said:

jj9000 said:

And its not baylol
damn there goes our fun
Not so fast, my friend.

The 'baylol' Del Mar putter still exists.

Newport 3 is not the 'baylol' putter.
Icecream_Ag
S
jj9000 said:

Icecream_Ag said:

Mr.Bond said:

jj9000 said:

And its not baylol
damn there goes our fun
Not so fast, my friend.

The 'baylol' Del Mar putter still exists.

Newport 3 is not the 'baylol' putter.

so what you are saying is the 3 needs a little jinx put on it so the baylol mar comes back out to play.

I need 3 live chickens, 2 goats, 4 Miller lites, and a pack of matches.
bagger05
AG
How does this thread have no pics on it yet?
TheGreatScott12
AG
I know there are so many posts on this thread so its hard to read them all, but I did mention that I have read numerous articles about people doing it themselves and never really got the insight I was hoping for. Thanks for the help though BigHitter I just downloaded this Google thing you speak of.
BigHitterDaLama
TheGreatScott12 said:

I know there are so many posts on this thread so its hard to read them all, but I did mention that I have read numerous articles about people doing it themselves and never really got the insight I was hoping for. Thanks for the help though BigHitter I just downloaded this Google thing you speak of.
Haha....i didnt mean for it to come out that way. I just know there are some threads there around different finishing techniques and some of the scottys turned out good looking.
_lefraud_
AG
bagger05 said:

How does this thread have no pics on it yet?

Posting for Bond

TheGreatScott12
AG
No worries at all. If you know of any good articles that are actually helpful feel free to pass them along. All of the ones I have come across were helpful, but nothing ground breaking.
Mr.Bond
AG
Are you trying to torch your putter? Paint fill it?
TheGreatScott12
AG
Is torching it just supposed to make it a darker color? That is kind of what I am interested in.
Mr.Bond
AG
It can bronze a stainless putter
khaos288
AG
If you're going nuclear with the head I vote powder coating it black/blue/whatever then doing a paint fill with an accent color. Always looked sick to me
TheGreatScott12
AG
khaos have you done this or do you have any pics of what this looks like? I would prefer going that color route over bronze.
Mr.Bond
AG
Once you get into the cost of powder coating equipment you'll find it MUCH cheaper to just have a place like BOS Golf do it. Unless you're thinking about doing quite a few putters
khaos288
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Once you get into the cost of powder coating equipment you'll find it MUCH cheaper to just have a place like BOS Golf do it. Unless you're thinking about doing quite a few putters

Oh yeah I'm 100% suggesting having someone else do the powder coating. It just looks sweet.

I'll look for some pics tonight
BigHitterDaLama
Some really good refinishers I follow on instagram....at a minimum, check em out for ideas and maybe see about costs if you decide to send it in to someone.

putterspa
norcalputters
jj9000
AG
TheGreatScott12
AG
Awesome I'll give those guys a look. I don't mind the idea of letting a pro do it. I just cant stand that Scotty Cameron wants to charge you $250-290 to ship it out and have it cleaned up.
BigHitterDaLama

Awesome I'll give those guys a look. I don't mind the idea of letting a pro do it. I just cant stand that Scotty Cameron wants to charge you $250-290 to ship it out and have it cleaned up.
http://putterlounge.com/order-form/price-list
Mr.Bond
AG
Oh boy....... I may be without the Newport 3 for a while...... And somehow you find a way to cost me more money
BigHitterDaLama
Mr.Bond said:

Oh boy....... I may be without the Newport 3 for a while...... And somehow you find a way to cost me more money
B, I had them do a Santa Fe Teryllium a couple of years ago. Looked phenomenal.

Highly recommend.
Mr.Bond
AG
I'm really digging the white..... Because you know I like translucent paint fill.... But the black looks amazing as well

Edit: should be thumbs up
jj9000
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I'm really digging the white.
Only you would F-up that bad@ss Newport 3 by ghosting it and making it look like a TMaG.

Mr.Bond
AG
Yeesh looks like one of your pieces of ****

Jk
Icecream_Ag
S
jj9000 said:

Mr.Bond said:

I'm really digging the white.
Only you would F-up that bad@ss Newport 3 by ghosting it and making it look like a TMaG.

for all that is holy bond don't even think about it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.