Good club fitter/builder S. Houston

2,203 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oknows
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Want to get The lie on my irons checked out but would like to go to someone who knows what they're talking about. Was hoping someone had a guy that they used and trusted.
jj9000
AG
1. Find a decent size piece of cardboard and place it on a hard surface
2. Put black electrical tape on the sole(s) of your iron(s)
3. Place a foam or plastic golf ball on the cardboard
4. Hit the ball off the cardboard 2-3 times per iron

If the marks on the tape are closer to the heel, you need them flattened
If the marks on the tape are in the center of the sole, do nothing
if the marks on the tape are closer to the toe, you need them more upright
jf8
Impact Precision Golf
Aggie369
AG
This is all correct but if you are looking to improve mechanically I would start by making sure lie/lofts are standard...and then improving your mechanics to make contact better. Changing a clubs lie with poor mechanics will just reinforce the fault in your swing

Guess it depends how often you play and what your goals are
Aggie369
AG
My brother, LHIOB, has never hit his 6 iron well and got his lie tested a few weeks ago....it was 6 degrees off and his clubs aren't custom or forged....manufacturers send out a lot of poorly measured stuff
tandy miller
AG
Aggie369 said:

This is all correct but if you are looking to improve mechanically I would start by making sure lie/lofts are standard...and then improving your mechanics to make contact better. Changing a clubs lie with poor mechanics will just reinforce the fault in your swing

Guess it depends how often you play and what your goals are

Everything is standard but length (-.75"). While my mechanics are far from perfect, I'm getting to the point where I am making good contact pretty consistently. It just feels like my lie is too upright. Especially On my 5 & 6 iron. Feels like the club is resting on the heel
Aggie369
AG
Have u had them checked? Just because they come standard doesn't mean they actually are
White Liberals=The Worst
Is it pretty easy for them to bend to adjust lie if you take your clubs in for a retro-fitting? prob a stupid question, but I have a feeling a few of my bigger irons might be a little off and would be interested to see.
jj9000
AG
Yes...it's easy.

$2 - $5 per club.
Aggie369
AG
If they are cast (spelling) clubs and have to be bent more than a few degrees some brands are more brittle than others and could break. Ping tends to be better....cleveland is pretty brittle sometimes.
Ag_07
AG
Club Champion has been great as far club fitting goes.

Now once you get over the initial sticker shock of the asinine price they give you for the clubs you'll laugh in their face and walk out.

But I've been twice for club fitting (driver and irons) and they've been great. Well worth it.
tandy miller
AG
Aggie369 said:

Have u had them checked? Just because they come standard doesn't mean they actually are

I have not. Never occurred to me that just because the haven't been adjusted they may not be standard.
Aggie369
AG
Most of the time they are pretty good but like I said above...my brother bought a set of Cleveland irons and his 6 iron was WAY off....explains why he hated it
White Liberals=The Worst
Aggie369 said:

Most of the time they are pretty good but like I said above...my brother bought a set of Cleveland irons and his 6 iron was WAY off....explains why he hated it

I have been wondering about my 7 iron. I hit my 8 and 6 way better and my distance on solid 7 iron shots isn't mich further than my 8, it's weird and I try to avoid it...which is funny because 7 iron has always been one of my fav clubs.

I bought standard Mizuno MP-64's and added a half inch to them. Either the 7 iron is off or I'm just cursed with it.
Aggie369
AG
Go get it checked out....bring 6, 7, and 8 to check lofts and make sure they are gapped correctly
tandy miller
AG
So I hit 5 balls each with a 5 and 7i. First couple of swings mark was heel only. As I swung it crept a little more towards the toe. Also did the sharpie test, it indicated too upright.

7i on left, 5 on right
jj9000
AG
What's your ballflight with those irons?
tandy miller
AG
jj9000 said:

What's your ballflight with those irons?

Pretty straight (lately at least ). Misses are usually slice/fade, or push. Every once in a while I'll pull one but I think that's from firing upper body prematurely
jj9000
AG
You might want to start by bending 1 or 2 irons and see if it makes a difference.

You can always bend them back if you don't like the change.

Find a good club builder to do this work for you though. Agree with the earlier poster that mentioned cast irons breaking.
tandy miller
AG
jj9000 said:

You might want to start by bending 1 or 2 irons and see if it makes a difference.

You can always bend them back if you don't like the change.

Find a good club builder to do this work for you though. Agree with the earlier poster that mentioned cast irons breaking.

That's why I want to find someone I can trust... my irons are cast callaway x2 hots. Don't want someone to snap one
98Ag99Grad
AG
you mentioned south Houston; you near Friendswood? If so go see David Pilsner at Timber Creek. Knowledgeable pro who can get you fixed. Honestly I'd be perfectly fine going to a local golf galaxy and letting them take a look as well. This isn't rocket science; check the tape and adjust from there.
tandy miller
AG
I'll be in the galleria area tomorrow, anyone have any experience with Edwin Watts on Westheimer?
1208HawkTree
AG
tandy miller said:

So I hit 5 balls each with a 5 and 7i. First couple of swings mark was heel only. As I swung it crept a little more towards the toe. Also did the sharpie test, it indicated too upright.

7i on left, 5 on right

Looks to me like they are 180 degrees off.

Seriously though, The Sport Shoppe on 59 just outside the beltway does quality work. Place doesn't look like much but the guy has the equipment (Mitchell) and know-how to do the job right.
Aggie369
AG
Yea, the club builder in there is good...i think he gets in at 10am
98Ag99Grad
AG
yep, the guy used to be the Ping rep at all the demo days. I was in there yesterday afternoon actually. most of the guys working in there are pretty good; better than the average big store sales guy IMO.
tandy miller
AG
Aggie369 said:

Yea, the club builder in there is good...i think he gets in at 10am

Bobby something? They told me I'd have to set something up at least 24 hours out so they can set up their monitor for a lefty
Aggie369
AG
Never heard of needing 24 hours to set up a monitor before....weird

Never used their monitor though. Before u change anything make sure lie and lofts are standard
Oknows
AG
Not S. Houston, but Mark at Advantage Fore Golf has started working out of Cypress Lakes and does great work. Adjusted lie on my irons today and only took about 20 minutes. Great guy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.