Left to right putts vs right to left putts

5,732 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Poot
Aggie1391
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do any of you right handed players makes fewer putts when the break is left to right vs right to left? I guess this would be opposite for left handed players. I've known I make less putts when they break right, but I didn't know how bad I was at them till yesterday.

I was doing a simple drill after work: start with a straight 6 footer, make 5 in a row, and then move back a putter length. Make 5 in a row again, and move back to 6 feet and make 5 in a row once move. Then I would move around the hole like a clock.

It took me no longer than 5 minutes to finish the straight uphill putts. However, when I got to the putt that broke left to right it took my 30 minutes to make 5 in a row from 6 feet. It was about 4 inches of break, nothing absurd. And I wasn't consistently missing on the high or the low side, it was both sides

Anyone else have this issue? If so, any drills to help?
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Sure. Bet you are right eye dominate as well.

R-L you see and feel the break with your eyes and brain.

L-R you MUST hit a mark. It's more mechanical.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yes. This is actually a very common issue
Goodest Poster
AG
Im right handed, left eye dom, and yes- left to right putts are more troublesome.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
aim point golf

i dont do the crazy math but just the basic fundamentals helps me get aim'd right when I'm having trouble seeing the line. then its all about speed.
stick93
AG
One thing that helps me is to walk into my setup on my intended line. In other words, if I have to aim left of the cup I will approach the ball from behind and right of it. If I wait until I get over the ball to set feet, hips, and shoulders it becomes more of a guessing game.
agsalaska
AG
Yes. Most of us do. Most pros do too.

I have a friend that is a notable exception. He is a 2 handicapper so he can play. But if you saw his putting stroke you would think he can't break 90. I've never in my life seen someone cut across the ball on a putt like him. I mean he hits the ball at probably a 30 degree angle from the outside and somehow makes it go straight.

Anyway he is the best left to right putter I have ever played with. Not a close second. That dude makes everything left to right. A couple of weeks ago he shot 31 on the front with 7 birdies and 2 bogeys. 6 of the 7 birdies were left to right putts from 8 to 30 feet. Then he shoots 42 on the back with no left to right putts. Needless to say the jokes in the bar after the round were endless.
khaos288
AG
I'm a right handed putter but I prefer left to right putts. I don't know about the dominant eye stuff, but left to right putts seem to have a bigger margin of error to getting in the hole with. Right to left I always leave below the hole. Unless I've been leaving them low all day then I go super high.

Who knows. My game is in shambles right now, so I shouldn't even comment
agsalaska
AG
khaos288 said:

Who knows. My game is in shambles right now, so I shouldn't even comment
agsalaska
AG
I tend to open my stance just a little bit on left to right putts. That seems to help. Not sure why.
khaos288
AG
agsalaska said:

I tend to open my stance just a little bit on left to right putts. That seems to help. Not sure why.

My standard putting stroke is a few degrees with my feet open. Maybe theres some correlation there.
Poot
My personal opinion is that on left to right putts it's easier for your eyes to natural drift over towards the hole. The actual alignment of the putter drifts right towards what you're looking at and then the stroke ends up mote at the hole vs your intended starting line.

I agree with the above poster in that on left to right putts, the spot putting, or "aim point" style becomes more critical.
jgh85Ag
AG
I am right handed, left eye dominant. My favorite putt is up hill right to left break. Other than straight.
Txroper
AG
khaos288 said:

agsalaska said:

My standard putting stroke is a few degrees with my feet open. Maybe theres some correlation there.
I am right handed but left eye dominant and if I putt with a normal stance I miss to the right. A friend of mine suggested opening my stance and I have shaved about 5 putting strokes off my round.
Yesterday
AG
I watched a golf channel segment on this with Peter Jacobson and his tip really helped me. If you have a right to left putt you find you target, then you start behind and to the right of the ball. While looking at your target you cross over the line and set yourself up toward the target. This basically resets your body to focus on your target and not the hole. Hope this makes sense. Works for bunker shots as well.
mike_ags_fan12
Right handed. I sink the left to right
Poot
Wrong thread
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.