Another Poor Valero Field....

4,546 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agsalaska
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't get it...

http://www.pgatour.com/inside-the-field/2017/04/14/valero-texas-open.html

Only 5 inside the top 25 OWGR committed to play.
Ezra Brooks
AG
What's to get?

It's TWO weeks after the 1st major of the year and half a continent away from the previous Tour stop.

The top 50 or so build their calendar around the Majors and there's a 3 week lull after the Masters before the build-up to the US Open --> Wells Fargo, The Players, Nelson, Colonial, Memorial are all big tournaments that will pull a better field.
jja79
AG
The golf course is too hard. That's something I've heard the past several years.

Not too concerned about the field. Given the lack of corporate dollars in SA as opposed to some other places it's pretty easy to get hospitality access. Me, two of my sons and two former college teammates of one of the boys will be posting up in the suites on 16 and 18 Saturday.

I also think I'll have one extra VIP parking pass if anyone is looking. Pass is for the JW parking lots.
powerbelly
AG
Matsui said:

I don't get it...

http://www.pgatour.com/inside-the-field/2017/04/14/valero-texas-open.html

Only 5 inside the top 25 OWGR committed to play.
****ty place on the schedule and players don't care for the course. Not hard to see why it gets skipped.
ORAggieFan
I get smaller names, guys like Hoffman and Pat Perez, playing every tournament. But, does Kuchar ever take a break? Seems like all he does is get Top 10s w/o ever winning and always playing.
powerbelly
AG
He seems like a grinder. Plays around 25 events every year and always places well.
Matsui
AG
How did you score suites access?
Matsui
AG
Kuch is the king of the backdoor top 10!
Big Cat `93
AG
You can always watch Poults try to get his card back.
jja79
AG
I didn't score access, I'm paying for it, but paying for it is much cheaper than in Houston or Dallas.

I've been doing this for several years and they began getting me VIP parking passes (their term, not mine) to park at the JW which is very nice.

The biggest problem for me is I'm 60 and I'm with my 8th grader and my 27 year old and his friends and we have access to open bar from the first tee time until the last putt is made. The 8th grader is too young to drive and I'm too old to hang with the 27 year olds.

It's a fun time and some in our group don't golf so the field is pretty irrelevant.
ORAggieFan
Matsui said:

Yeah, I noticed yesterday he had a monster round. Nothing like the meaningless Sunday -7....
oldschool87
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Matsui said:

Yeah, I noticed yesterday he had a monster round. Nothing like the meaningless Sunday -7....
Some of you forget this is a job to 98% of the guys on tour . I get Kuch makes a bunch, but he is making hay while the sunshines... You never know when your last tournament is, ask Tiger, or half the guys trying to get there card back.

Kuch could blow out a vertabra tomorrow and he is done.

What does a final day 65 do for you, depending probably minimum 200K...

Next time you go to a golf tournament, watch someone not named Kuch, Phil, Sergio, watch a guy who is just trying to put food on the table. It will change your perspective of what shot to hit next...
Quinn
AG
Should have his learners permit next year!
_lefraud_
AG
Was your 8th grader planned?!? Second wife?
ORAggieFan
oldschool87 said:

ORAggieFan said:

Matsui said:

Some of you forget this is a job to 98% of the guys on tour . I get Kuch makes a bunch, but he is making hay while the sunshines... You never know when your last tournament is, ask Tiger, or half the guys trying to get there card back.

Kuch could blow out a vertabra tomorrow and he is done.

What does a final day 65 do for you, depending probably minimum 200K...

Next time you go to a golf tournament, watch someone not named Kuch, Phil, Sergio, watch a guy who is just trying to put food on the table. It will change your perspective of what shot to hit next...
There is no one on the PGA Tour just trying to put food on the table. Look at Rickie Barnes. No wins. 4 Top 5s in 250 events and he's made over $7 mil just on the tour.

You want struggling to put food on the table go to a web.com event or lower.
Yesterday
AG
This is why the Zurich Classic moved to a team format. Look at the field they're getting. Something like 7 of the top 10 will be there.
jja79
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Was your 8th grader planned?!? Second wife?

Heck no he wasn't planned. His oldest brother turns 34 tomorrow.
Yesterday
AG
Damn. That must have been rough. Kids are all grown and then BAM! You're changing diapers again.
jja79
AG
Actually it's been awesome. I took him to the 1st Aggie football game in 2006 to see how he would do. He did great so he's been to every home game since. He broke 80 for the first time friday. Lucky me.
David_Puddy
jja79
AG
Puddy shoot me an email. It's on my profile.
mike_ags_fan12
While he's going into diapers
gjim23
AG
Do you still have that parking pass?

Thanks!
98Ag99Grad
AG
Do any of you actually follow the big name guys at the SHO for more than a few holes when they're here? I'll catch Phil for one or two; followed Speith for a couple this year, but the crowds are annoying, can't see squat except maybe one shot, and you gotta jump ahead to get a good spot on the next hole. I always go on a Friday and end up following regular guys just so I can see some golf. We followed Henly's group friday morning and there were maybe 10 people watching him. Kuchar was playing with Luke Donald and maybe 20 people follwoing them. Having a strong field is nice and all but I'm more interested in seeing golf.
AgsMyDude
AG
jja79 said:

The golf course is too hard. That's something I've heard the past several years.

Not too concerned about the field. Given the lack of corporate dollars in SA as opposed to some other places it's pretty easy to get hospitality access. Me, two of my sons and two former college teammates of one of the boys will be posting up in the suites on 16 and 18 Saturday.

I also think I'll have one extra VIP parking pass if anyone is looking. Pass is for the JW parking lots.

I also think it's a bit too hard. I played a couple weeks back and it was very challenging!

I'm rather new to SA myself and haven't made it out during the tournament yet but really need to
Gil Renard
AG
I remember watching a young tiger woods play at the Texas open
EMY92
AG
I had a roommate, he was the second and last child. His brother was 20 years older. He said most people thought his brother was his dad.
agsalaska
AG
I may be wrong but I think they fixed what the players didn't like about the course. There were a couple of greens that had way to much slope and made some bunker and fairway adjustments several years ago.

If I remember right the players thought it was too hard. Not that they didn't like hard courses, but it slowed down play so much that the rounds were taking even longer than the normal long ass rounds that they play. When the players ranked the courses several years ago it was near the bottom, but I am pretty sure the redesign was after that.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Do they still have the green with the bunker in the middle? That's a Greg Norman thing. Doonbeg over in Ireland had a hole like that but when Trump took it over I think he changed that.
The D
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Do any of you actually follow the big name guys at the SHO for more than a few holes when they're here? I'll catch Phil for one or two; followed Speith for a couple this year, but the crowds are annoying, can't see squat except maybe one shot, and you gotta jump ahead to get a good spot on the next hole. I always go on a Friday and end up following regular guys just so I can see some golf. We followed Henly's group friday morning and there were maybe 10 people watching him. Kuchar was playing with Luke Donald and maybe 20 people follwoing them. Having a strong field is nice and all but I'm more interested in seeing golf.
I was following Henley on Friday morning as well. From about hole 9 to 16
Poot
That was awesome D. Even though he wasn't on the leader board yet, watching him play it was obvious that he had his swing completely under control.

I love the big names for the tournament, but as far as watching, we can all learn a few things by the way these guys go about their business.
jja79
AG
EMY92 said:

I had a roommate, he was the second and last child. His brother was 20 years older. He said most people thought his brother was his dad.

A few years ago we were staying at the JW and playing TPC San Antonio and after a beverage cart stop as the boys scattered back to the fairway the cart girl said to me - 2 grown men and a little boy all just called you dad. Doesn't the little one belong to that one? Nope.

As soon as 8th grade let's out today we're SA bound and looking forward to the VTO. We usually leave early Friday but since our new golf course at Houston Oaks opens next Friday I have to be judicious about golf related absences from middle school. The principal already doesn't like me. He thinks noon dismissal during football season is a bit of overkill when we're only driving from Spring to CS and the game isn't until tomorrow night.

Palmer battled back and made the cut at -2. Poulter MC so he'll have to play on exemptions.

grego
AG
Quote:

Do they still have the green with the bunker in the middle? That's a Greg Norman thing. Doonbeg

Actually its a Riviera thing. I think it is cool out there but comes off as cheap (to me at least) at a new course in suburban San Antonio.
FirefightAg
AG
Palmer with the round of the day -4
aggiedent
AG
Did anybody else noticed how small the crowds looked on TV Saturday? Don't think I've ever seen such a small looking crowd in the US.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.