Worst round of my life today

4,611 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JR Ewingford
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
123 on 114/67.4 course. Nothing but putter was working. Every undesirable ball flight was covered... banana slices, snap hooks, chili dips, worm burners. Hit 1 fairway all day. Felt like I had never held a club in my life. Has anyone else ever experienced a nightmare like this? I have 0 confidence in my game right now.... i dont know how to keep this round from hanging around in my head next time I play
Lonestarandi
AG
Must be something in the air, hit at the range today and everything was awful.
the dude10
AG
A little different but when I was around a 9 Handicap I played a morning round where everything seemed to go wrong. Shot 99 and felt like I would never have a good round again. Everyone wanted to play another round in the afternoon and even though I really didn't want to I didn't have anything better to do. I shot 75 for what was my best round ever at the time. I think the total lack of expectations really helped me play loose and not overthink my swing.

My advice would be to just keep playing, it will turn around.
GIF Reactor
AG
Well, at least you were able to get out there. I haven't been able to play since last August.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
What do you normally shoot?
tandy miller
AG
Low to mid 90's
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
yikes
tandy miller
AG
Tell me about it
Lonestarandi
AG
Just set up a game with someone you have fun on the course with and enjoy the company. Hopefully that'll help you not dread your next round too much
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Hungover?
tandy miller
AG
Nope. I don't drink. I hit a few balls in the yard a few minutes ago and striped em. Going to the range tomorrow in search of confidence
t - cam
AG
There's always tomorrow to set a new personal worst. Then today won't matter so much.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Played terrible this evening as well. Must be something in the air. Leave that round in the past. WGAS. It's not my livelihood. Thank god.
jgh85Ag
AG
tandy miller said:

Nope. I don't drink.
there's your problem
tandy miller
AG
Here's an example....147 yd par 3. I ended up in the drink.... and not the one left of the green

jgh85Ag
AG
Now that's a hook or the worst dead pull ever.
Icecream_Ag
S
have that issue with my wedges right now.

I've lost 12 shots in my last two rounds because I cant trust anything with a wedge inside 20 yards.

So I'm hoping to bank all of my owed good chips and cash in May 6.
tandy miller
AG
Dead pull. Since I'm a lefty and my usual miss is a slice I'm used to being in the water.... that particular water miss was a first for me.

Oh and I did hit 1 GIR... but it was the wrong green
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Welcome to golf.
CashinOut
AG
If you're ever in the DFW area and need to feel good about you're game, give me a shout. I'll make you look like you play on the Tour.
aggiebrother33
Tandy,

What app is that?
tandy miller
AG
It's the Arccos Driver app
agsalaska
AG
I shot 91 in the second round of the club championship one year. I think I gave a good synopsis of that crap on the F golf thread. No idea where it came from. I had already played myself out of the tournament the day before so it certainly wasn't pressure or anything. I just for the life of me couldn't get the ball in the hole. I followed it the next 3 weeks with like 6 straight rounds under 76.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Harvey Penick says...

Quote:

If you play poorly one day, forget it.
If you play poorly the next time out, review your fundamentals of grip, stance, aim and ball position. Most mistakes are made before the club is swung.
If you play poorly for a third time in a row, go see your professional.

LHIOB
AG
A few weeks ago I had a round with 41(!!!!!!!!!) putts. I have been logging my hole x hole stats for 3 years and my average is 1.7 putts per hole. The saddest part was I shot like 88 so I was actually hitting the ball well. I had 3 4-putts and a 3 putt par.
khaos288
AG
I had a day that I just completed forgot how to play golf. Last year some time I seriously couldn't even hit the ball. I stopped counting strokes at the turn where it was over 60.
tandy miller
AG
khaos288 said:

I had a day that I just completed forgot how to play golf. Last year some time I seriously couldn't even hit the ball. I stopped counting strokes at the turn where it was over 60.
I had a swing w/ my 3h where I hit about 8" behind the ball.
t - cam
AG
I remember playing a round where the shanks started in on the range and didn't go away for the entire front nine. I was basically hitting knock down type punch shots the entire side in an attempt to do something that was different. Can't remember the final tally but it was well into the 50's.

Somehow on the back nine the punch shots started turning back into full swings and i bounced back with something respectable on the back.

The shanks are a weird bird for sure. They seem to leave just as fast as they come and I don't think anyone understand how or why.
White Liberals=The Worst
tandy miller said:

123 on 114/67.4 course. Nothing but putter was working. Every undesirable ball flight was covered... banana slices, snap hooks, chili dips, worm burners. Hit 1 fairway all day. Felt like I had never held a club in my life. Has anyone else ever experienced a nightmare like this? I have 0 confidence in my game right now.... i dont know how to keep this round from hanging around in my head next time I play
Been there numerous times. Been playing for 8 years now so it's much less frequent and my bad rounds aren't AS nightmarish, but just the other day I got the shanks then started topping the ball to the left. Took a break at the turn and then was lights out on back nine playing some of the best golf in my life.

The worst thing in golf is when it feels like you're holding a foreign object and you've completely forgotten your swing.
White Liberals=The Worst
t - cam said:

The shanks are a weird bird for sure. They seem to leave just as fast as they come and I don't think anyone understand how or why.
What is super frustrating for me is that I am pretty certain I have figured them out, and am still powerless over them at times because my body gets timid and doesn't fully trust my mind. With me, it happens when I quit turning lateral and try to do too much with arms/upper body and and up leaning into the ball in an effort to hit down on it and make good contact, instead of just turning through it.

Only thing that really works is taking a break and distracting myself. But I have found during the periods where I am playing the best golf of my life (iron wise) is when the shanks tend to come out periodically. I'll get em for 2, 3, or 4 holes usually before recovering. And when I recover, it's usually questionable contact.

Golf can be as humbling as whiskey D at times.
khaos288
AG
When I had my awful round I had just started hitting up on my driver, and was crushing it. So without understanding why that helped, I started playing like I was teeing off on every shot.

so anything on the ground was getting chunked, and it was just confusing enough because anything on a good lie/tee was smashed.
White Liberals=The Worst
khaos288 said:

When I had my awful round I had just started hitting up on my driver, and was crushing it. So without understanding why that helped, I started playing like I was teeing off on every shot.

so anything on the ground was getting chunked, and it was just confusing enough because anything on a good lie/tee was smashed.
That's one thing that took me a while to learn. To completely mentally separate iron technique from woods/driver. A light bulb would come on with my irons and I'd subconsciously try to apply it with driver or woods and vice versa, and typically it did not work. But I'm really really stupid and I still make these mistakes at times.
khaos288
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

khaos288 said:

That's one thing that took me a while to learn. To completely mentally separate iron technique from woods/driver. A light bulb would come on with my irons and I'd subconsciously try to apply it with driver or woods and vice versa, and typically it did not work. But I'm really really stupid and I still make these mistakes at times.

Exactly this. I have four swings now. Driver/wood, full iron shot, chip, putt. My worst offender these days is not mentally deciding between full iron and chip shot and I get a wonky hybrid of the two that's never good haha
93MarineHorn
Quote:

I think the total lack of expectations really helped me play loose and not overthink my swing.
I've played the two best rounds of my life after significant layoffs (a couple of months). I had no expectations and just focused on making good contact and not swinging too hard.
tandy miller
AG
khaos288 said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

khaos288 said:

Exactly this. I have four swings now. Driver/wood, full iron shot, chip, putt. My worst offender these days is not mentally deciding between full iron and chip shot and I get a wonky hybrid of the two that's never good haha
So do you hit bump and runs instead of pitches? 10-40 yarders kill me
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.